• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jacked!!! (while gunless for a MacBook on Craigslist)

naroun

I got a phone call from my buddy the other night which pissed me off really bad.

He's been trying to sell his laptop to get some extra cash to go on vacation. So he posted it up on craigslist, and got a buyer to meet up with him. The guy was on the phone with him as he pulled into his apartment complex. As he was walking towards the car, some dude that was with the guy jumps out of the bushes face-palms my friend and yanks the MacBook right out of his hands and runs into the guys car and rolled out.

I asked him what happened to his gun? And he told me he sold it a few weeks ago...

Police report filed and everything. What surprised me the most, is that it was a nicer part of Fairfax. I hope those idiots get caught.

Just a heads up in and around the Fairfax area.

Marco

What surprised me the most, is that it was a nicer part of Fairfax.

There are no safe areas in any given city, more affluent areas generally have better items and people that are less weary of their surrondings.

Last edited:

Riana

Hard to sell large items like furniture and vehicles that don't run in a "neutral" location.

True. The only time I had to have someone come to my house was when I was selling a very large desk. It was in my garage, so I locked up the house, put the keys in the garage freezer (not easily located), and waited on the driveway. Of course, I was CC at the time, but he didn't know that.

I'd never meet someone at their home. All my other CL transactions have been in public parking lots (with a Ladysmith in tow).

doug23838

I got a phone call from my buddy the other night which pissed me off really bad.

He's been trying to sell his laptop to get some extra cash to go on vacation. So he posted it up on craigslist, and got a buyer to meet up with him. The guy was on the phone with him as he pulled into his apartment complex. As he was walking towards the car, some dude that was with the guy jumps out of the bushes face-palms my friend and yanks the MacBook right out of his hands and runs into the guys car and rolled out.

I asked him what happened to his gun? And he told me he sold it a few weeks ago...

Police report filed and everything. What surprised me the most, is that it was a nicer part of Fairfax. I hope those idiots get caught.

Just a heads up in and around the Fairfax area.

So... if I understand it correctly. Your buddy was on the phone with the buyer who turned out to be the getaway driver after a co-conspirator jumped from the bushes and hit him, and took the laptop? That shouldn't be tough to solve.

Mr H

So... if I understand it correctly. Your buddy was on the phone with the buyer who turned out to be the getaway driver after a co-conspirator jumped from the bushes and hit him, and took the laptop? That shouldn't be tough to solve.

That presumes it wasn't a stolen cell phone??

carry for myself

i sell things on CL all the time. i NEVER leave my gun at home. i OC every time, no matter where i go, never let them come here either. i always go to them and meet in a public spot.

naroun

Yeah he's bought and sold a lot of things on CL but I don't know what happened this time. Just happened to be a bad day I guess. But his insurance company is going to pay him for the stolen laptop. Every time I meet up with someone to buy something from craigslist I OC, so did he. But since he sold his gun I guess he wasn't ready for what happened.

carry for myself

i have many guns, i sell em all the time. always keep one though. feel naked without it. have had a few people come to buy stuff see the gun and walk away. get a text 5 minutes later saying "something came up, i cant make it" makes you wonder if they would have "made it" if they hadnt noticed you could defend yourself

TFred

[...] As he was walking towards the car, some dude that was with the guy jumps out of the bushes face-palms my friend and yanks the MacBook right out of his hands and runs into the guys car and rolled out.
Great quote from a great movie:

Bob Lee Swagger: Where are we meeting?
Colonel Isaac Johnson: Somewhere where I can see you coming from a 'gosh darned' long way off.​

Probably good advice for Craig's List transactions as well...

TFred

JamesB

Can I assume he sold his children a couple of weeks ago too? They should go before the guns.

By the way anyone need a pretty little blonde thirteen-year-old?

JUST JOKING!