Thread: OC at RDU

OC at RDU

Can I Open Carry at RDU Airport if I'm there to pick someone up. I don't have to go through security and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by Brion View Post
    Can I Open Carry at RDU Airport if I'm there to pick someone up. I don't have to go through security and what not.

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/north...u-airport.html

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-151301.html

The OPer says he thinks he saw a "No Firearms" sign.

I haven't been there in years, so I can't be of any help.
    Hope someone comes along soon to answer you're question.

I can verify that there are signs even as you are driving in. And again on the doors of the terminals.

For whatever it is worth, I would not carry into that airport. I have to fly for work and there is a good chance that ability would be disrupted
    Last edited by Smith45acp; 05-11-2011 at 11:05 AM.
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

I don't bother with pragmatic statistics while discussing my constitutional rights. The issue is far less complex, to me. Free men should be able to act like free men.

Regular Member EricDailey X-NRA's Avatar

Preparation

RDU Airport is a NC municipality so its ordinances apply just like other Towns and they have a PD of the same category as Raleigh PD or Durham PD. I know the road signs about firearms do not give the full information from the ordinance. I use to have a copy of the ordinance and it had exceptions to the "NO gunz" info on the road signs.
    BE VERY CAREFUL.
    Get the RDU PD office to fax you a copy of the ordinance and read it before you OC. Do not assume the Officers will know what the law allows. You may be able to get the Departments' firearms trainer on the phone and ask him. Do not assume the information you HEAR is complete or correct. Do not assume that if you follow the letter of the law that they will agree with your judgment.

Do assume that RDU is very sensitive about armed citizens.
    Let us know what you learn.
    Get a DVR, a Digital Voice Recorder, carry it 24/7. It's cheap, easy and makes a good witness in Court.

Triangle Open Carry Meetup
    http://www.meetup.com/r/inbound/0/0/...ry/?a=sharetxt
    This is a link for a "gunz r welcome" sign.
    http://www.gunlaws.com/images/unity.gif
    FORUM RULES (14)
    ....This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life.

Thanks for the info folks. I'm not gonna OC inside. I just was curious because I have a family member coming to visit and wasn't sure what the rules were if I were to go greet at the gate. I think I'll just wait in the car in the loading zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Brion View Post
    Thanks for the info folks. I'm not gonna OC inside. I just was curious because I have a family member coming to visit and wasn't sure what the rules were if I were to go greet at the gate. I think I'll just wait in the car in the loading zone.
    Last few airports I have been to, the only place you can stop your car is to pick someone up or at a parking meter/garage... Frankly I would actually keep the gun in the car and out of sight the whole time and not risk it.

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    So, does this mean that you cannot even leave a handgun locked in your vehicle in the parking garage? I'm picking someone up there in a couple weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    Carry on!

Moderator / Administrator
    Quietly check to see if the airport is in fact a locally owned enetiy and whether they have any ordiance restricting gun carry at that facility or its associated parkling lots.