• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at RDU

Brion

Can I Open Carry at RDU Airport if I'm there to pick someone up. I don't have to go through security and what not.

hotrod08

Smith45acp

I can verify that there are signs even as you are driving in. And again on the doors of the terminals.

For whatever it is worth, I would not carry into that airport. I have to fly for work and there is a good chance that ability would be disrupted

Last edited:

EricDailey X-NRA

Preparation

RDU Airport is a NC municipality so its ordinances apply just like other Towns and they have a PD of the same category as Raleigh PD or Durham PD. I know the road signs about firearms do not give the full information from the ordinance. I use to have a copy of the ordinance and it had exceptions to the "NO gunz" info on the road signs.
BE VERY CAREFUL.
Get the RDU PD office to fax you a copy of the ordinance and read it before you OC. Do not assume the Officers will know what the law allows. You may be able to get the Departments' firearms trainer on the phone and ask him. Do not assume the information you HEAR is complete or correct. Do not assume that if you follow the letter of the law that they will agree with your judgment.

Do assume that RDU is very sensitive about armed citizens.
Let us know what you learn.

Brion

Thanks for the info folks. I'm not gonna OC inside. I just was curious because I have a family member coming to visit and wasn't sure what the rules were if I were to go greet at the gate. I think I'll just wait in the car in the loading zone.

mekender

Thanks for the info folks. I'm not gonna OC inside. I just was curious because I have a family member coming to visit and wasn't sure what the rules were if I were to go greet at the gate. I think I'll just wait in the car in the loading zone.

Last few airports I have been to, the only place you can stop your car is to pick someone up or at a parking meter/garage... Frankly I would actually keep the gun in the car and out of sight the whole time and not risk it.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Quietly check to see if the airport is in fact a locally owned enetiy and whether they have any ordiance restricting gun carry at that facility or its associated parkling lots.