• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Are You Under Cover?"

sudden valley gunner

Yesterday morning went in to Starbucks on Bakerview and Northewest I entered and several State Troopers were having their morning coffee at the table near the door. I have had friendly conversations with at least one of the Troopers so I smiled and waved to him and smiled and waved back.

I went to the counter and a new barista I haven't seen before smiles and asks "Are you under cover?"

I said chuckling a little "Oh no I'm not a cop".

Her "Oh Well I saw you were carrying a gun and waved to the officers and he waved back"

I then explained how open carry is legal in this state and how I have had nothing but pleasant encounters and respect to the way Their agency has dealt with this and with some personal issues. That they have always been above board and professional with me.

She was stoked and said I love hearing things like that. As I turned to go to the receiving end of the counter noticed another young trooper was standing behind me with a nice proud smile on his face.

Johnsmith1521

That's awesome to hear! I've always thought that troopers are more understanding about opencarry... One time I was pulled over by a trooper, he was cool about me being armed. He didn't ask me to step out of the car or anything. He just asked me to keep my hand where he can see them, but in a nice way. Troopers will always have my respect...

ApacheBunny

As the trooper smiled with a tear at the edge of his eye lol. Actually I was asked if I was undercover while I was picking up a 6 pack of glass bottled coke at the store, "No ma'am if I was undercover my gun would also be undercover since you never know where the coke dealers have eyes." then the usual "are you a police officer" yadda yadda.

amzbrady

I had a guy cross into my lane and bump my motorhome, when WSP showed up to do the paperwork, he didnt say anything about my firearm witch was clearly visable. All the times I went on tows and impounded something for WSP, only thing close to negative ever said was one trooper told me "I should carry something more effective than a 9mm, but it was better than nothing".

Lovenox

That's awesome to hear! I've always thought that troopers are more understanding about opencarry... One time I was pulled over by a trooper, he was cool about me being armed. He didn't ask me to step out of the car or anything. He just asked me to keep my hand where he can see them, but in a nice way. Troopers will always have my respect...

My car broke down along 101 near Shelton one time (bad ignition switch that kept "overheating") and I had my weapon in my bag in the seat next to me. The trooper walked up on the passengerside and noticed it. Out of courtesy/law I informed him of the weapon and asked if he wanted to see my CPL. He chuckled and said I was good to go. I explained the situation and told him I had to wait for the ignition switch to "cool down"...he waited with me for the five minutes we talked guns, girls and politics. He was very professional, friendly and understanding. I have nothing but positive experiences with these guys. Granted it wan't OC, but the sentiment remains. Is it legal to get them a gift cards while they are sitting in Starbucks and thanking them for thier OC support?

Lovenox

I had a guy cross into my lane and bump my motorhome, when WSP showed up to do the paperwork, he didnt say anything about my firearm witch was clearly visable. All the times I went on tows and impounded something for WSP, only thing close to negative ever said was one trooper told me "I should carry something more effective than a 9mm, but it was better than nothing".

+10 for the trooper on the 9mm comment...LOL just kidding friend. :lol: