Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 82

Thread: Calendars Committee fails Open Carry

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    596

    Calendars Committee fails Open Carry

    HB2756 is not going to the House Floor. The bill has expired in Calendars Committee.
    State Representative Todd Hunter failed to move on Open Carry for Texans.
    As Chairman of Calendars Committee, Todd Hunter did not address HB2756.

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by MR Redenck View Post
    HB2756 is not going to the House Floor. The bill has expired in Calendars Committee.
    State Representative Todd Hunter failed to move on Open Carry for Texans.
    As Chairman of Calendars Committee, Todd Hunter did not address HB2756.
    Link? Cite?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005
    Open Carry is 0-5 for the year.

    What did we learn? What we already knew. Being a Republican means nothing.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

    I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Link? Cite?
    http://www.lonestarcdl.org/

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by MR Redenck View Post
    Well I admit to being confused as there is nothing there to indicate the bill is dead.

    Is it simply automatic after a certain time in committee?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC
    Posts
    160
    Wait...Does this mean that the entire bill has to start over from square one?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    233
    The "CALENDARS COMMITTEE's " Phone number is 512-463-0758, if you would like to use it!!!!!!!
    The CHAIRMAN of the CALENDAR's COMMITTEE is "TODD HUNTER " and his phone number happens to be 512-463-0672 The HB2756 is still go until Midnight tomorrow Night. Todd Hunter's office is saying that the Bill is already Dead, by the way Todd Hunter is a REPUBLICAN, if you can imagine that!
    Last edited by Cowboy_Rick; 05-11-2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: more information

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Well I admit to being confused as there is nothing there to indicate the bill is dead.

    Is it simply automatic after a certain time in committee?
    Todd Hunter (512-463-0672), a REPUBLICAN and CHAIRMAN of the CALENDARS COMMITTEE says it is! Maybe you should call him?

  9. #9
    Regular Member rushcreek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs. CO
    Posts
    924
    According to "Leslie" in the office of Chairman of the Calenders Committee - Representative Todd Hunter- HB 2756 - IS NOT DEAD IN THE WATER.

    She is quite familiar with HB 2756 as a result of the incessant phone calls her office has been receiving supporting the bill from YOU !(despite the fact that
    the TSRA & NRA are opposing it)

    YES- I said the TSRA and the NRA are OPPOSING IT ! Exactly WHO do you suppose they are representing in Texas ??? Not ME ! Because the NRA no longer can count me in their "membership" tally.

    She said the Calendars Committee is still working on a "solution" to get HB 2756 scheduled.

    Don't throw the towel in yet. Representative lavender is working FOR EVERY TEXAS CITIZEN to get this constitutional bill moving forward. It ain't over yet.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by rushcreek2 View Post
    According to "Leslie" in the office of Chairman of the Calenders Committee - Representative Todd Hunter- HB 2756 - IS NOT DEAD IN THE WATER.

    She is quite familiar with HB 2756 as a result of the incessant phone calls her office has been receiving supporting the bill from YOU !(despite the fact that
    the TSRA & NRA are opposing it)

    YES- I said the TSRA and the NRA are OPPOSING IT ! Exactly WHO do you suppose they are representing in Texas ??? Not ME ! Because the NRA no longer can count me in their "membership" tally.

    She said the Calendars Committee is still working on a "solution" to get HB 2756 scheduled. I have also e-mailed NRA for their rendition of this fact if it is TRUE and personally I respectfully regret the way you have stated the facts, this is how you are and I cannot, in no way, can change that.

    Don't throw the towel in yet. Representative lavender is working FOR EVERY TEXAS CITIZEN to get this constitutional bill moving forward. It ain't over yet.
    Well PARDON me-I happen to be a LIFE MEMBER of the NRA and expect to find out why they don't support this Bill- I have called them 3 times total and I don't believe that they were "Incessant" calls either, mainly Questionable, but not incessant.
    Last edited by Cowboy_Rick; 05-11-2011 at 09:22 PM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Largo, Fl
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by rushcreek2 View Post
    According to "Leslie" in the office of Chairman of the Calenders Committee - Representative Todd Hunter- HB 2756 - IS NOT DEAD IN THE WATER.

    She is quite familiar with HB 2756 as a result of the incessant phone calls her office has been receiving supporting the bill from YOU !(despite the fact that
    the TSRA & NRA are opposing it)

    YES- I said the TSRA and the NRA are OPPOSING IT ! Exactly WHO do you suppose they are representing in Texas ??? Not ME ! Because the NRA no longer can count me in their "membership" tally.

    She said the Calendars Committee is still working on a "solution" to get HB 2756 scheduled.

    Don't throw the towel in yet. Representative lavender is working FOR EVERY TEXAS CITIZEN to get this constitutional bill moving forward. It ain't over yet.


    The same thing happend to us in Florida. Our bill went further, but the end result is that we also got hosed by the NRA. Hammer supported a last minute ammendment that killed OC. What's up with the NRA!?!?!?!

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2
    I have been lurking here for well over a year now and keep hearing people state as fact that the NRA and TSRA are not supporting and are totally against this Bill moving forward. As a member of both organizations for many years I am wondering if there is any documentable proof of these claims. I will be the first to pick up the phone and call these organizations if that is the case but will not do it if it is just somebodys rant looking to place blame someplace. Lets get the facts out there and then take action...

  13. #13
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005
    Quote Originally Posted by FLSTN View Post
    I have been lurking here for well over a year now and keep hearing people state as fact that the NRA and TSRA are not supporting and are totally against this Bill moving forward. As a member of both organizations for many years I am wondering if there is any documentable proof of these claims. I will be the first to pick up the phone and call these organizations if that is the case but will not do it if it is just somebodys rant looking to place blame someplace. Lets get the facts out there and then take action...
    I've never seen evidence that they are anti-open carry, they just don't care about it. Here in Florida, NRA said OC has no support from anybody and that the only good thing about OC in Fl would be that it would protect against accidental exposure of weapons.

    Also, if OC ever enjoyed wide popularity, "gun control" agendas would never see the light of day and the NRA would be forced to downsize.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

    I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy_Rick View Post
    Well PARDON me-I happen to be a LIFE MEMBER of the NRA and expect to find out why they don't support this Bill- I have called them 3 times total and I don't believe that they were "Incesstant" calls either, mainly Questionable but not incesstant.
    Do you not understand the definition of incessant?

    in·ces·sant

    [in-ses-uhnt]
    –adjective continuing without interruption; ceaseless; unending: an incessant noise.
    Last edited by Jack House; 05-11-2011 at 07:13 PM.

  15. #15
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005
    Quote Originally Posted by rushcreek2 View Post
    According to "Leslie" in the office of Chairman of the Calenders Committee - Representative Todd Hunter- HB 2756 - IS NOT DEAD IN THE WATER.

    She is quite familiar with HB 2756 as a result of the incessant phone calls her office has been receiving supporting the bill from YOU !(despite the fact that
    the TSRA & NRA are opposing it)

    YES- I said the TSRA and the NRA are OPPOSING IT ! Exactly WHO do you suppose they are representing in Texas ??? Not ME ! Because the NRA no longer can count me in their "membership" tally.

    She said the Calendars Committee is still working on a "solution" to get HB 2756 scheduled.

    Don't throw the towel in yet. Representative lavender is working FOR EVERY TEXAS CITIZEN to get this constitutional bill moving forward. It ain't over yet.
    NRA wants an accidental exposure bill, and they want to take credit for it.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

    I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

  16. #16
    Regular Member detroit_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    The NRA just called me today to renew my membership. Can anyone post a link to any PROOF that the NRA is opposing this? I want to discuss it with them when they call back tomorrow.

  17. #17
    Regular Member rushcreek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs. CO
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by FLSTN View Post
    I have been lurking here for well over a year now and keep hearing people state as fact that the NRA and TSRA are not supporting and are totally against this Bill moving forward. As a member of both organizations for many years I am wondering if there is any documentable proof of these claims. I will be the first to pick up the phone and call these organizations if that is the case but will not do it if it is just somebodys rant looking to place blame someplace. Lets get the facts out there and then take action...
    My father was a life-long NRA member. I have been a NRA member nearly all of my adult life. I appreciated the NRA involvement in the Heller and McDonald decisions - at first. Then, I started wondering WHY ....it took the NRA so long to deal with the "incorporation" issue, and WHY was the approach in Heller & McDonald so narrowly defined.

    Right now on www.nraila.org you can click on the U.S. map for Texas legislation and you will find a very brief reference to "Right to carry bill" in the Texas legislature. That one line blurp links to a Waco TV station report that only quotes the "Brady Bunch's" hired hand Representative Lon Burnam's opposition to HB 2756. Now I don't call that support for respecting the constitutional right to open carry for Texans.

    It shouldn't take over 135 years to get rid of "Reconstruction" disarmament policy in Texas .

    The 14th Amendment has been in effect for over 140 years. The Supreme Court held in McDonald v Chicago that the 2nd Amendment therefore has been in effect in Texas for 140 years because it was incorporated under the due process clause of the 14th Amendment. So why is an 1871 Reconstruction act supported only by the Reconstruction Constitution of 1869 STILL in the Texas Penal Code? Why does every citizen in Texas need a CHL in order to carry a handgun in lawful defense when the Texas Constitution HAS DECLARED SINCE 1876 that to do so is their RESERVED RIGHT ?


    The Texas Constitution of 1876 NEVER set aside handguns from the right to bear arms. The common (mistaken) assumption that the power to regulate the wearing of arms somehow pertains to handguns is unsupportable. The power of the Legislature to "regulate the wearing of arms" pertains as much to the CONCEALMENT of a .30/.30 under your clothing as a handgun, or Bowie Knife. Perhaps a little harder to accomplish - but the citizens of Texas would never tolerate total prohibition of all firearms. The handgun ban is a good example of incrementalism at work.

    Even though the NRA is not quite ready to be comfortable with "open carry" for every citizen - the framers of the U.S. Constitution were not only comfortable with it - but INSISTED UPON IT ! What does that tell you about the NRA and there "support" for the Second Amendment ?
    Last edited by rushcreek2; 05-11-2011 at 08:04 PM.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Do you not understand the definition of incessant?

    in·ces·sant

    [in-ses-uhnt]
    –adjective continuing without interruption; ceaseless; unending: an incessant noise.
    Oh yes and I do wonder how Rushreek 2 even know that I called to begin with also this is not what happened either but that is past now.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by FLSTN View Post
    I have been lurking here for well over a year now and keep hearing people state as fact that the NRA and TSRA are not supporting and are totally against this Bill moving forward. As a member of both organizations for many years I am wondering if there is any documentable proof of these claims. I will be the first to pick up the phone and call these organizations if that is the case but will not do it if it is just somebodys rant looking to place blame someplace. Lets get the facts out there and then take action...
    The only Documented proof that I am aware of is rushcreek2's rants, but I've only been a Life Member since 1988.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    The NRA just called me today to renew my membership. Can anyone post a link to any PROOF that the NRA is opposing this? I want to discuss it with them when they call back tomorrow.
    All I would do is to inform them of this "RUMOR" and hear what their response happens to be.

  21. #21
    Regular Member pooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy_Rick View Post
    The only Documented proof that I am aware of is rushcreek2's rants, but I've only been a Life Member since 1988.
    Because they would definitely post on their main website "We oppose open carry" if they did. They always inform their members of everything they do.

    How about a certain NRA board member who just happens to run one of the largest handgun forums in Texas posting skewed polls, calculated to turn people away from OC? Or habitually banning members who speak out on that forum in favor of OC or who question his arguments against OC?

    How about a certain lobbyist stating flat out that she will not support this bill?
    (Please forgive me, it's a little difficult to cite phone conversations)

    NRA/TSRA have done a lot of good in the past. They've done some good this session. But they've also done pretty badly too.
    Last edited by pooley; 05-11-2011 at 09:45 PM.

  22. #22
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy_Rick View Post
    Oh yes and I do wonder how Rushreek 2 even know that I called to begin with also this is not what happened either but that is past now.
    The 'YOU' was in general form, as in he was speaking to the general populace that has been calling the Calendars Committee. It also wasn't negative, but actually a positive thing.
    Last edited by Jack House; 05-11-2011 at 11:09 PM.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy_Rick View Post
    The only Documented proof that I am aware of is rushcreek2's rants, but I've only been a Life Member since 1988.
    There is a lot of document and from several states. Actually there are a few recorded conversations as well.
    Right now everyone has more important issues to deal other than your NRA membership. " Were concerned with Texas Legislation at the moment, not your NRA membership or Texas Secession club".
    Maybe it will help you more if you review the CHLforum. Nothing but opposition from the want to be NRA board member "elect".
    Everybody around here supports the right to carry. Im sure they would love to have the NRA involved with their goals in Texas. Nobody simply wants to make crap up about the NRA, their all just sick and tired of the willingness to fail.

  24. #24
    Regular Member rodbender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Navasota, Texas, USA
    Posts
    2,524
    Quote Originally Posted by rushcreek2 View Post
    My father was a life-long NRA member. I have been a NRA member nearly all of my adult life. I appreciated the NRA involvement in the Heller and McDonald decisions - at first. Then, I started wondering WHY ....it took the NRA so long to deal with the "incorporation" issue, and WHY was the approach in Heller & McDonald so narrowly defined.

    Right now on www.nraila.org you can click on the U.S. map for Texas legislation and you will find a very brief reference to "Right to carry bill" in the Texas legislature. That one line blurp links to a Waco TV station report that only quotes the "Brady Bunch's" hired hand Representative Lon Burnam's opposition to HB 2756. Now I don't call that support for respecting the constitutional right to open carry for Texans.

    It shouldn't take over 135 years to get rid of "Reconstruction" disarmament policy in Texas .

    The 14th Amendment has been in effect for over 140 years. The Supreme Court held in McDonald v Chicago that the 2nd Amendment therefore has been in effect in Texas for 140 years because it was incorporated under the due process clause of the 14th Amendment. So why is an 1871 Reconstruction act supported only by the Reconstruction Constitution of 1869 STILL in the Texas Penal Code? Why does every citizen in Texas need a CHL in order to carry a handgun in lawful defense when the Texas Constitution HAS DECLARED SINCE 1876 that to do so is their RESERVED RIGHT ?


    The Texas Constitution of 1876 NEVER set aside handguns from the right to bear arms. The common (mistaken) assumption that the power to regulate the wearing of arms somehow pertains to handguns is unsupportable. The power of the Legislature to "regulate the wearing of arms" pertains as much to the CONCEALMENT of a .30/.30 under your clothing as a handgun, or Bowie Knife. Perhaps a little harder to accomplish - but the citizens of Texas would never tolerate total prohibition of all firearms. The handgun ban is a good example of incrementalism at work.

    Even though the NRA is not quite ready to be comfortable with "open carry" for every citizen - the framers of the U.S. Constitution were not only comfortable with it - but INSISTED UPON IT ! What does that tell you about the NRA and there "support" for the Second Amendment ?
    I agree with everything you say except the fact that nra had nothing at all to do with Heller, Zip, Zero, Nada. That was 100% Second Amendment Foundation. The nra wouldn't touch it until they saw it was probably going to be a winner. Now, the nra talks like Heller was their baby. They won't say it because they know that it is too easy to prove otherwise, but they talk like it was all nra. After Heller, the nra decided to get brave and challenge Chicago. McDonald was also SAF. The nra had a seperate suit that didn't make it to the SCOTUS calender. They then horned in on McDonald to be able to say they, at least, had a part in it. Now, hear the nra tell it, McDonald was all nra as well.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC
    Posts
    160
    Just got off the phone with Justin, Rep. Hunters Legislative Coordinator. Here's a rundown of what happened based on what he said and my notes as we had our conversation.

    The Calendar Committee has to adress bills as it comes to them in order of when they were recieved. They are working till 10pm every night trying to play "catch up" because so many bills come to them during this crunch time. When the bill come in to calendars on the 3rd it had an Error in it from HS comittee. One that would have probably allowed opposition to make a "Point of Order" against it for breaking rules and would have killed the bill right there. I figurative "Headshot" to the bill. So they kicked it back and that's why it didn't arrive till the 6th. They want to make sure bills are ready to go and follow the rules so that things like that don't happen to the bills.

    The bill cannot be called "Dead" until May 30th. It probably will not make it to house floor because they have till the 10pm today to get to the OC bill. But realist says they won't along with the other 50million bills before it and after it. Something that can happen and we need to put the preasure on those that support the bill.

    There is something called "germained" amendments, I think that's what they are called and how it's spelled. I'm bad at spelling don't hold it against me, I'll try to get the message across as best I can. Anyway, in the Texas House, a germained amendment can tack on a bill to another bill on the floor as long as it deals with the same Subject matter. We could then get OC that way. That's why we can't call the bill dead till the 30th.

    Now something Justin also told me, if this had passed the floor we would have had a hard time in Senate. They have the 2/3rds rule and there was not a OC bill in the Senate. However we probably would have had a hard time in the Senate to start with because it turns out the Campus Carry didn't have the votes in the Senate. However, the Senate doesn't have a subject matter germained amendment rule. The Campus Carry passed because it was germained onto a fiscal matters bill, I don't know which one. Something to think about.

    Now if our hopes and dreams of getting OC this year are squashed come May 30th, when the new legislature starts up, we need to put the heat on Lavender, who wrote the bill, and all those in favor of it and those that helped it pass the HS committee to file this bill again, and push it through EARLY! EARLY! EARLY! And get a Senate companion or find someone to germain into a Senate bill that will likely pass.

    Anyway, folks hope this answers some questions and sends some undeserved anger in a different direction. Justin assured me that Rep Hunter is an avid NRA and many members of our House are supporters of NRA and many are life member. Just because the NRA board members and leadership are not supporters of OC as someone stated, I don't know the truth to day btw, just stating that it doesn't mean every member is against it. Trust me when I say there are alot of House members that are 2A supportive and this is from Justin who I quote "I pitty any man that comes into the legislature intent on shooting up the place because he will end up with 1000 bullets in him." Don't loose faith. Don't give up. Though OC didn't pass anywhere this year I think the movement is moving forward. If it doesn't happen this year, we must try to get it moving next ear as early as possible.

    Sorry this went long, sorry for spelling, sorry for grammar.
    Last edited by Brion; 05-12-2011 at 09:49 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •