• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Personal Sale of pistol

Joeygee23

Well be picking up permits tomorrow. I would like to purchase my father's Ruger .22 from my mother. My father died 6 years ago and it's been sitting in my mother's home. Can anyone point me in the right direction for forms? Do I need to go through a dealer? Appreciate any help!

Rich B

http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&q=294488 said:
pistols and revolvers
federal law states you may only buy a handgun in the state in which you reside.

You can only buy a handgun in connecticut, if in addition to being a resident, you have a valid permit to carry pistols or revolvers, a valid eligibility certificate, if you are a licensed firearms dealer or if you are a sworn police officer.

A dps-67-c and a dps-3-c (4 copies) must be completed. The seller of the handgun must contact the special licensing and firearms unit at (860) 685-8400, or 1-(888) 335-8438 and obtain an authorization number for that sale. This number is to be added to both forms. The dps-67-c is to be retained by the seller for 20 years. The seller should retain the original copy of the dps-3 for their records, give one copy to the purchaser as a receipt, submit one copy to the local police authority where the purchaser resides and submit a final copy to the commissioner of public safety.

hth

Ctclassic

Joey, I just went though EXACTLY the same thing a few months ago. Assuming your mom is the executor of estate to your deceased dad, on the form DPS-3-C Sale or Transfer of All Firearms in the box "Seller" put your dads name and write deceased next to it. Then have your mom sign it under Seller's name and write, Exec of Estate next to her signature. Then just follow the directions on the bottom of the form. That is EXACTLY how the DPS told me to do it and they gave me a authorzation number over the phone. Hope that helps.
PS. All the info needed under 'seller' has to be your dads info...ie, date of birth etc. not your moms.

dcmdon

and if your mom isn't executor of the will, just have her do the transfer to you with her name, as long as she's not a prohibited person.

The state cares more about who its going to than who its coming from.

Please be aware, I'm not telling you what the law is. I'm telling you what is a common sense approach would be. Remember, there is nothing wrong with your mother being in possession of those pistols.

Also, remember that there is no firearm registration in CT. (except for machine guns) So there is no such thing as an "unregistered firearm" in CT.

If she is not the executor and you are worried about really covering her butt, use an FFL for the transfer to you.

Joeygee23

thanks for the input, yes she was executor. he bought the gun probably late 40's early 50's only thing I can remeber seeing after he died was a little paper card for registration I think. But it's the first gun I ever shot....the stern lecture/lessons point down, never point at anyone. Can't wait to own it.