Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good LEO encounters/interaction

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Good LEO encounters/interaction

With so many negative encounters being posted, it has been suggested and seconded that we start a thread for the positive relationship(s) we have experienced with our brothers (& sisters) in blue.

Please note that any negativism or argumentative postings will be deleted as OT - no exceptions.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I frequent a local WaWa for my morning dose of caffeine - IMO last bastion of decent fast food coffee.

Have interacted with numerous Chesterfield PD there - all positive. Comments like "I prefer 1911s too" and even "thank you, sir" while he nodded towards my holster.

These may not be dramatic, but they are telling of good understanding.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

The sheriff and his deputies here don't wear "blue," but are a great bunch of people who are generally trusted and well thought of. I carry openly all the time, and have never had a negative experience with these fine gentlemen.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Here in Washington State I have never had a negative encounter with a State Trooper while carrying a firearm. Even during the few times I've received a speeding ticket.

They don't seem to carry the same level of arrogance around that many of the City Cops do in our major cities here.

+ a bunch for WA State Troopers.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Here in Washington State I have never had a negative encounter with a State Trooper while carrying a firearm. Even during the few times I've received a speeding ticket.

They don't seem to carry the same level of arrogance around that many of the City Cops do in our major cities here.

+ a bunch for WA State Troopers.
    I concur with Amlevin's statement and had made a few threads commending and talking about my positive encounters with the Washington State Troopers.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Banned
    On ALOC we routinely post all interactions when they happen. Most of our posts regarding LEO interactions are positive.

I was pulled over by LPD (lansing police dept) for doing 50 in a 35 (or some such speed)... I ended up getting a ticket... even though the officer gave me a break and only wrote it for 5 over... but that son of a gun was the NICEST DAMN COP I HAVE EVER SEEN. I don't know what his deal was, but he was EXTREMELY polite and nice and did his job with utmost professionalism. I even told him that he was the nicest cop I ever dealt with. He should be hired to break bad news to people by some big company...

No encounters with officers while armed. Thankfully!

Taking the liberty to cross post from the Maine forum.

Originally Posted by carry for myself
    went to scarborough walmart. was stopped at door by greeter, then an odd thing happened. apperently there was a Scarborough PD officer right behind me who looked at the greeter and said "Open carry is legal in maine, he's fine" and the greeter let me through :-)

no open carry experience but...

my 2 experiences were during routine checkpoints here in guilford county nc. one was a highway patrol officer and the other was a sheriffs deputy. both were familiar with the laws concerning concealed carry (we have to notify here). both were cordial and without incident.
    my son, on the other hand........

Banned
    I've dealt with several Oakland County Sheriffs Deputies on numerous occasions, and all but two were professional and some even supportive of OC rights.

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Taking the liberty to cross post from the Maine forum.
    thanks grape. didnt even think of putting that in here :-)+1
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

I OCed at Lee Michaels Fine Jewelry in Shreveport, LA and the uniformed officer working the door was friendly, professional and supportive of Open Carry! Kudos to him and them for hiring him and not giving an Open Carrier any static! It didn't hurt that I bought this for the wife:

but they didn't know I was going to spend that kind of money till AFTER the fact so good on them!
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    No offense, but in the interest of balance and fairness, will we also have a single thread where all negative police-OCer encounters will be collected?
    According to some of the LEO's that visit here, those "negative encounters" are merely a matter of "US" not understanding their job.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by HeroHog View Post
    I OCed at Lee Michaels Fine Jewelry in Shreveport, LA and the uniformed officer working the door was friendly, professional and supportive of Open Carry! Kudos to him and them for hiring him and not giving an Open Carrier any static! It didn't hurt that I bought this for the wife:

but they didn't know I was going to spend that kind of money till AFTER the fact so good on them!
    Nice ring! Must have set you back the equivalent of several "Sig's".

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Nice ring! Must have set you back the equivalent of several "Sig's".
    It might just be a bracelet - that'd be a whole safe full.

Activist Member
    I've had a lot of good LEO encounters where LEO sees me and does not detain me.

Unfortunately, bad experiences tend to be a lot more noteworthy.

I'll Bite!
    Unlike most of yall, I dont really carry handguns too often. Im not saying anthing negative toward the idea of doing it, it's just something I dont do much of.
    I have had some pretty negative experiences with guns and Leo's, but at the same time those experiences also involve possitive results. " Kinda like saying you got to take the good with the bad I guess".
    A couple of years ago some drunk ran into a guys house down the road from me and he attempted to leave the scene. Too bad for him his truck broke down in front of my place. When he jumped out and took off by foot, I got my .45 and took off after him. My dog sniffed him out of some bushes down the road. As I had the 45 pointed at him, a deputy drove by on his way to the scene. Since it was dark he never seen me so I called the 911 people again to turn him around. When he turned around he just jumped out of the truck and got the drunk. Asked me where would I be to make a report. "Never said one word about me or the gun". As I was going back to my shop the DPS and the duputies were all there. I started to go in my shop to put my gun away as one of the DPS asked for me to come over there to make out the report. I said I was putting my gun in my truck. He said I could do that later...??

Now one of my negative experiance actually involved me getting arrested. " I shouldnt have been to start with because I wasnt breaking any laws". Being a negative experience, it actually ended well. A day or two later I went to the county office to address the charges and arrest. After taking to the county investigator about the issue, he claimed I should not have been arrested. He wanted to get the report and do some follow up on the issue. The next day he called me to come sign the paperwork because the charges were dropped.

Sometimes something negative can actually turn positive. I also think these kinds of situations might even help the next guy. " I hope"
    For me, any day that ends without me getting into trouble is pretty much a positive experience.
    Lets not forget about the Madison bunch, it turned negative but ended positive. The experience might even help prevent any futher negative issues. Anything we can do to prevent something from happening again will benefit everybody by helping us all have positive experiences for now on.
    To conclude, if it ends well be thankful.
    Last edited by MR Redenck; 05-13-2011 at 12:37 PM.

Couple really good encounters a couple/few weekends ago at the CalicoJack Defense Fun Shoot-Fundraiser for the Special Olympics (there's a few threads in the WI forum on it)

Sheriff/Deputy walked into the restaurant we all met at. He picked on the guys who were carrying .40s ("When I shoot I don't have to pray my bullets get bigger" or something to that effect) and stated in no uncertain terms he feels that when someone reaches the age of 18 they should be issued a 1911 (in .45 ACP naturally). Chatted with us for about 15-20 minutes then grabbed his lunch and went on down the road.

Next day, two officers showed up at the range where the shoot was going on, just wanted to see what was happening apparently (it had to have sounded like WW III there). Only reason they were upset at all was they didn't have time to stop and shoot with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf1477 View Post
    . Only reason they were upset at all was they didn't have time to stop and shoot with us.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Felid`Maximus View Post
    I've had a lot of good LEO encounters where LEO sees me and does not detain me.
    Yes. In my book, a good LEO encounter is the one that doesn't happen. I had one of those a few years ago while OCing.

Well, this encounter started out negative, but when a real LEO arrived he was cool.

Basically, the screeners at a courthouse claimed that a holster wasn't allowed in the building.
    Followed me to the courtroom, called a baliff, who also tried to tell me holsters weren't allowed.
    When a deputy sheriff finally turned up, I got the impression there was a "you idiot, you called me for this?" behind the look he gave the baliff.

He pulled them aside, had a Chat, sent them on their way, & came back to tell me that the problem was solved. I asked if the screeners would be reminded that it's weapons which are prohibited, not containers, & he said yes.

I'm the neighborhood watch block captain. Working with the local PD contact has been a pleasure. One day after shooting the breeze for about half an hour, we'd been discussing a possible ride-along. He knows I open carry, and when I asked about whether or not I'd be allowed to carry, he said, "Actually, you're one of those I'd pick for backup." When I asked, "How's that?" he said, "Well grounded. You'd keep your cool if things go wrong. I can't say that about everyone in the department."

My experience with police in this town has been quite positive.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    I'm the neighborhood watch block captain. Working with the local PD contact has been a pleasure. One day after shooting the breeze for about half an hour, we'd been discussing a possible ride-along. He knows I open carry, and when I asked about whether or not I'd be allowed to carry, he said, "Actually, you're one of those I'd pick for backup." When I asked, "How's that?" he said, "Well grounded. You'd keep your cool if things go wrong. I can't say that about everyone in the department."

My experience with police in this town has been quite positive.
    +1
    COS cops and the El Paso County Sheriff's Dpt are the best police forces I've ever seen. Where else would the Sheriff write you a personal letter 'thanking' you for getting a CCW? They know the law and they know it is citizens, not subjects, who are lucky enough to live here.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

This officer shook his hand for exercising his rights!
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...tive-encounter

Shame on me for not thinking of this

Im involved with a lot of grassroots activity here in Texas and am also current with some national grassroots activity.
    Here in Texas, we have Lawmen involved with what were doing, and offer us a great deal of support. Their experience and suggestions are most valuable. I would actually like to see more Lawmen get involved with what were doing.
    On the national level, we also have some key players on the grassroots level who are lawmen. "Even a few lawyers".
    I stand correct by these guy's often, but I never seem to get offended. Mostly because what they say is true and pretty easy to relate to.
    You might be supprised how a little bit of Lawman experience can contribute to the 2nd amendment fight. That experience has also made me realize we need to focus on quit a bit more than just carry issues.
    It always sucks to run across a cop that isnt pleasant to deal with, but it is always a pleasure to meet those cops who will stand with us to protect our rights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast