• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good LEO encounters/interaction

MKEgal

Well, this encounter started out negative, but when a real LEO arrived he was cool.

Basically, the screeners at a courthouse claimed that a holster wasn't allowed in the building.
Followed me to the courtroom, called a baliff, who also tried to tell me holsters weren't allowed.
When a deputy sheriff finally turned up, I got the impression there was a "you idiot, you called me for this?" behind the look he gave the baliff.

He pulled them aside, had a Chat, sent them on their way, & came back to tell me that the problem was solved. I asked if the screeners would be reminded that it's weapons which are prohibited, not containers, & he said yes.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I'm the neighborhood watch block captain. Working with the local PD contact has been a pleasure. One day after shooting the breeze for about half an hour, we'd been discussing a possible ride-along. He knows I open carry, and when I asked about whether or not I'd be allowed to carry, he said, "Actually, you're one of those I'd pick for backup." When I asked, "How's that?" he said, "Well grounded. You'd keep your cool if things go wrong. I can't say that about everyone in the department."

My experience with police in this town has been quite positive.

Gunslinger

I'm the neighborhood watch block captain. Working with the local PD contact has been a pleasure. One day after shooting the breeze for about half an hour, we'd been discussing a possible ride-along. He knows I open carry, and when I asked about whether or not I'd be allowed to carry, he said, "Actually, you're one of those I'd pick for backup." When I asked, "How's that?" he said, "Well grounded. You'd keep your cool if things go wrong. I can't say that about everyone in the department."

My experience with police in this town has been quite positive.

+1
COS cops and the El Paso County Sheriff's Dpt are the best police forces I've ever seen. Where else would the Sheriff write you a personal letter 'thanking' you for getting a CCW? They know the law and they know it is citizens, not subjects, who are lucky enough to live here.

MR Redenck

Shame on me for not thinking of this

Im involved with a lot of grassroots activity here in Texas and am also current with some national grassroots activity.
Here in Texas, we have Lawmen involved with what were doing, and offer us a great deal of support. Their experience and suggestions are most valuable. I would actually like to see more Lawmen get involved with what were doing.
On the national level, we also have some key players on the grassroots level who are lawmen. "Even a few lawyers".
I stand correct by these guy's often, but I never seem to get offended. Mostly because what they say is true and pretty easy to relate to.
You might be supprised how a little bit of Lawman experience can contribute to the 2nd amendment fight. That experience has also made me realize we need to focus on quit a bit more than just carry issues.
It always sucks to run across a cop that isnt pleasant to deal with, but it is always a pleasure to meet those cops who will stand with us to protect our rights.

mousegurl

According to some of the LEO's that visit here, those "negative encounters" are merely a matter of "US" not understanding their job.

Well they certainly DO have a hard job! The stress shortens their lives. They have to make split second decisions that have eternal consequences. They hear F--- you a lot more than Thank you.

Most of the ones I've talked to are strong supporters of the 2nd Amendment.

If you go the the Spokane County Sheriffs sub station at the Spokane Mall, you'll find flyers for the Sharp Shooting Range.

I commend Open Carry for having a thread to acknowledge and recognize positive LEO encounters and interactions.

You couldn't pay me enough to do their job and face the risks they take every time they go to work!

eye95

According to some of the LEO's that visit here, those "negative encounters" are merely a matter of "US" not understanding their job.

A couple of the cops who stopped me outside of Target had this attitude. They thought I should "ride along" on Saturday night in the "bad part of town." Two of the cops at ALOC think that we don't understand them, and should ride along to learn.

Of course, we have to do this in the bad part of town, unarmed and unable to defend ourselves. I see this as a transparent attempt to put us in a situation where we are totally dependent on the officer for our safety. That ain't teaching, that is attempted indoctrination. No thanks!

Those cops on ALOC get all offended when I tell them that their "extended hand" is just reaching to slap me in the face. I will go on a ride along when a department and officer have the stones to allow my exercise of my rights during the ride along.

OldCurlyWolf

A couple of the cops who stopped me outside of Target had this attitude. They thought I should "ride along" on Saturday night in the "bad part of town." Two of the cops at ALOC think that we don't understand them, and should ride along to learn.

Of course, we have to do this in the bad part of town, unarmed and unable to defend ourselves. I see this as a transparent attempt to put us in a situation where we are totally dependent on the officer for our safety. That ain't teaching, that is attempted indoctrination. No thanks!

Those cops on ALOC get all offended when I tell them that their "extended hand" is just reaching to slap me in the face. I will go on a ride along when a department and officer have the stones to allow my exercise of my rights during the ride along.

The last time I did a ride along, the first thing the officer did was hand me a Browning Hi-Power, "just in case". This was before there was such a thing as a CHL in Texas. At that time he effectively "Deputized" me for the time I was riding with him. I did not step out of the unit that night without being armed. :cool:

eye95

The last time I did a ride along, the first thing the officer did was hand me a Browning Hi-Power, "just in case". This was before there was such a thing as a CHL in Texas. At that time he effectively "Deputized" me for the time I was riding with him. I did not step out of the unit that night without being armed. :cool:

Yeah, the two officers on ALOC say that their departments won't allow it. However, your case demonstrates that it is quite possible; they just don't want to do it because the purpose of the ride-along is to demonstrate how we need to depend on them for our safety.

I would gladly sign a release of liability if I were allowed to carry. If I am not allowed to carry on a ride-along, I won't go. But, even if I did, I would not release them from liability. I would feel like the probability of something going horribly wrong would be far greater if I were unarmed!

The unarmed ride-along invite is a non-offer. It is a propaganda effort.