• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good LEO encounters/interaction

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
With so many negative encounters being posted, it has been suggested and seconded that we start a thread for the positive relationship(s) we have experienced with our brothers (& sisters) in blue.

Please note that any negativism or argumentative postings will be deleted as OT - no exceptions.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I frequent a local WaWa for my morning dose of caffeine - IMO last bastion of decent fast food coffee.

Have interacted with numerous Chesterfield PD there - all positive. Comments like "I prefer 1911s too" and even "thank you, sir" while he nodded towards my holster.

These may not be dramatic, but they are telling of good understanding.

MamaLiberty

The sheriff and his deputies here don't wear "blue," but are a great bunch of people who are generally trusted and well thought of. I carry openly all the time, and have never had a negative experience with these fine gentlemen.

amlevin

Here in Washington State I have never had a negative encounter with a State Trooper while carrying a firearm. Even during the few times I've received a speeding ticket.

They don't seem to carry the same level of arrogance around that many of the City Cops do in our major cities here.

+ a bunch for WA State Troopers.

sudden valley gunner

Here in Washington State I have never had a negative encounter with a State Trooper while carrying a firearm. Even during the few times I've received a speeding ticket.

They don't seem to carry the same level of arrogance around that many of the City Cops do in our major cities here.

+ a bunch for WA State Troopers.

I concur with Amlevin's statement and had made a few threads commending and talking about my positive encounters with the Washington State Troopers.

eye95

On ALOC we routinely post all interactions when they happen. Most of our posts regarding LEO interactions are positive.

HKcarrier

I was pulled over by LPD (lansing police dept) for doing 50 in a 35 (or some such speed)... I ended up getting a ticket... even though the officer gave me a break and only wrote it for 5 over... but that son of a gun was the NICEST DAMN COP I HAVE EVER SEEN. I don't know what his deal was, but he was EXTREMELY polite and nice and did his job with utmost professionalism. I even told him that he was the nicest cop I ever dealt with. He should be hired to break bad news to people by some big company... :)

No encounters with officers while armed. Thankfully! :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Taking the liberty to cross post from the Maine forum.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by carry for myself
went to scarborough walmart. was stopped at door by greeter, then an odd thing happened. apperently there was a Scarborough PD officer right behind me who looked at the greeter and said "Open carry is legal in maine, he's fine" and the greeter let me through :)

p85

no open carry experience but...

my 2 experiences were during routine checkpoints here in guilford county nc. one was a highway patrol officer and the other was a sheriffs deputy. both were familiar with the laws concerning concealed carry (we have to notify here). both were cordial and without incident.
my son, on the other hand........

HeroHog

I OCed at Lee Michaels Fine Jewelry in Shreveport, LA and the uniformed officer working the door was friendly, professional and supportive of Open Carry! Kudos to him and them for hiring him and not giving an Open Carrier any static! It didn't hurt that I bought this for the wife:
Tay'sEngagementRing.jpg

but they didn't know I was going to spend that kind of money till AFTER the fact so good on them!

amlevin

I OCed at Lee Michaels Fine Jewelry in Shreveport, LA and the uniformed officer working the door was friendly, professional and supportive of Open Carry! Kudos to him and them for hiring him and not giving an Open Carrier any static! It didn't hurt that I bought this for the wife:
Tay'sEngagementRing.jpg

but they didn't know I was going to spend that kind of money till AFTER the fact so good on them!

Nice ring! Must have set you back the equivalent of several "Sig's".

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I've had a lot of good LEO encounters where LEO sees me and does not detain me.

Unfortunately, bad experiences tend to be a lot more noteworthy.

MR Redenck

I'll Bite!
Unlike most of yall, I dont really carry handguns too often. Im not saying anthing negative toward the idea of doing it, it's just something I dont do much of.
I have had some pretty negative experiences with guns and Leo's, but at the same time those experiences also involve possitive results. " Kinda like saying you got to take the good with the bad I guess".
A couple of years ago some drunk ran into a guys house down the road from me and he attempted to leave the scene. Too bad for him his truck broke down in front of my place. When he jumped out and took off by foot, I got my .45 and took off after him. My dog sniffed him out of some bushes down the road. As I had the 45 pointed at him, a deputy drove by on his way to the scene. Since it was dark he never seen me so I called the 911 people again to turn him around. When he turned around he just jumped out of the truck and got the drunk. Asked me where would I be to make a report. "Never said one word about me or the gun". As I was going back to my shop the DPS and the duputies were all there. I started to go in my shop to put my gun away as one of the DPS asked for me to come over there to make out the report. I said I was putting my gun in my truck. He said I could do that later...?? :eek: :cool:

Now one of my negative experiance actually involved me getting arrested. " I shouldnt have been to start with because I wasnt breaking any laws". Being a negative experience, it actually ended well. A day or two later I went to the county office to address the charges and arrest. After taking to the county investigator about the issue, he claimed I should not have been arrested. He wanted to get the report and do some follow up on the issue. The next day he called me to come sign the paperwork because the charges were dropped. :cool:

Sometimes something negative can actually turn positive. I also think these kinds of situations might even help the next guy. " I hope"
For me, any day that ends without me getting into trouble is pretty much a positive experience.
Lets not forget about the Madison bunch, it turned negative but ended positive. The experience might even help prevent any futher negative issues. Anything we can do to prevent something from happening again will benefit everybody by helping us all have positive experiences for now on.
To conclude, if it ends well be thankful.:banana:

Last edited:

Wolf1477

Couple really good encounters a couple/few weekends ago at the CalicoJack Defense Fun Shoot-Fundraiser for the Special Olympics (there's a few threads in the WI forum on it)

Sheriff/Deputy walked into the restaurant we all met at. He picked on the guys who were carrying .40s ("When I shoot I don't have to pray my bullets get bigger" or something to that effect) and stated in no uncertain terms he feels that when someone reaches the age of 18 they should be issued a 1911 (in .45 ACP naturally). Chatted with us for about 15-20 minutes then grabbed his lunch and went on down the road.

Next day, two officers showed up at the range where the shoot was going on, just wanted to see what was happening apparently (it had to have sounded like WW III there). Only reason they were upset at all was they didn't have time to stop and shoot with us.