Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your spouses views on CC/OC?

Your spouses views on CC/OC?

Hello,

Im new to this forum, and I'd like to say theres alot of great reading and information. I havent OC'ed yet, but Im hoping to soon. I guess I have the first time jitters.

That being said, my wife is against it. Her father was killed(shot by another hunter) in a hunting accident when she was 12, so she has every right for her concern, and I try to be sympathetic and understanding of the delicate situation. Though she is starting to somewhat come around, and say less about my guns and ammo purchasing, and having our 4 year old around them.

We have a 4 year old son who I show the guns too, take shooting, and constantly remind him of the do's and donts of firearms, and the harm they can do if not treated with the respect they are due. My wife has stated she does not want our child to see my carrying out in public.

My question is have some of you who have faced opposition from your spouses handle it? I consider us a team, so saying leave her or find another are not options lol.

We live in the north where we have bears, woles, and cats, so she's all for it. Just read the paper and look at the creepy crap goin'on and it may change her mid.

My wife is fairly anti-gun in the house. I just try to keep them secured 100% of the time. Either in the holster or in the Bio-vault. I actually keep a majority of my larger and more "deadly" looking rifles in off site storage. I've been slowly working on her by a round about way. I bought her a bow which she enjoys shooting. Now I haul her with to the sportsman's club when I shoot so she's at least near the pistol range lol.

I also follow this course when buying a new handgun and bringing it home. "Hey honey I just bought you a new gun!"
    "I don't even like guns!"
    "Well I guess I'll have to keep it for you then."

Welcome to the forum, for more info I encourage you to visit the link in my sig about New to Open Carrying in WI. There is lot's of valuable and informative info there.

As for the wife issue. That's the most common response for someone who is scared of firearms and never really got proper training. I have met just a few girls who were hesitant and fearful at first. Then they got educated and actually enjoy target shooting etc. Just have to acclimate her to the idea and slowly she will likely come around. Another idea is to look for the news stories around you. Show her the assaults, robberies, stabbings, murders in the area. She might actually start getting an accurate view of the world we live in.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

I'm not married, so I cannot help you convince her. However, do some research on all the crime in your area on why protection is a good thing.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...need-for-a-gun
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

I am lucky to have a wife with one of the most relaxed views on gun ownership/ conceal carry of anyone I have personally met. I have my father-in-law to thank for that. He is a big shooter, and is like most of us here (but in MI) so she was raised around guns, the notion that they are the best self defense tool anyone can have, and all the safety that goes with it. I didnt have to persuade her at all... unless it is to get MORE guns...

Welcome to the site, its a great place to be and to get your questions answered.

I have been OC'ing for about 6 months now, and I carry everyday. The wife was a little uneasy about the possible negative attention that it would bring but so far I have only had one person come up to me and give me any kind of grief.

The wife now is very comfortable with it and doesnt even notice it anymore, once a form of conceal carry passes, she too will be carrying herself. She doesnt carry now because it isnt good for business to have a gun hanging on her hip (shes a doctor)but has no problem keeping a firearm in her purse.

As far as concerns might go, I think your wife went through an experience that Im not about to say I understand, and the best thing would be to educate and expose her to other like minded people. Maybe bring her around a meet n greet so she can talk with other women who are carrying

anyway thats my 2cents

Hope you hang around and keep us posted
    Last edited by BrewTownBagger; 05-11-2011 at 07:36 PM.

My wife is mostly anti-gun, would rather have her rose colored glasses on that the police will protect her and my family. In fact we got into a heated argument over the concealed carry versus constitutional carry debate. She tried to tell me the constitution doesn't say we can conceal carry, I asked her to tell me what infringed means. Just elevated from there. Anyway she doesn't like guns, doesn't want them in the house and said if I "have to carry a gun" she would rather I carry concealed.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Campaign Veteran
    My wife was uneasy when I started open carrying, she was worried that it would attract a bunch of attention while shopping, or scare our neighbors. None of that has happened and she is more comfortable now, it's not an issue any longer.

She was concerned about guns in the house when we first moved in together, I took her to the local shooting range and got her a shooting lesson from an instructor using my 'nightstand' gun. Once you got proficient with the guns and learned use it she felt a lot better about it. People are fearful of what they don't understand.

Now she is talking about the gun she wants for when concealed carry is allowed....

I suppose I have the best of all possible worlds. My SO is an avid shooter, drags me to gun shows, and buys me HGs. I tease her about how she's always dropping bullets on the bedroom floor when she's trying to load her mags (she has small hands).

We work as a team, and back each other up. Sometimes I even try to get her to play 'Scully and Mulder' with me and pretend we're tracking aliens or secret agents, haha.

When we go to Gander Mountain I catch her fondling the shotguns. She wants to get one and shoot skeet. No, she does not have a sister.

92FS or LCP

My wife's only dilemma with CC is which gun to carry...
    I guess it depends on how tight she wants to wear her clothes.
    She keeps eying up my Kimber.... I think i'll have to tell her it makes her look fat...

Gotta love women who grew up in the UP in a hunting family !

D
    Proud member of Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    www.wisconsincarry.org

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
    Samuel Adams

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    i spent many years dating women who hated guns. the would insult me, inslut my hobbies, my profession, my passion. kind of like a liberal does to most of us.

your situation is tough because she was personally effected by a AD death. so honestly the best way to go about it is to just sit down and talk about it, and come to a mutual decision.

My girlfreind however is great about it. shes sitting next to me on the couch on her laptop writing an email to a highschool *shes an English teacher* and im OCing on my couch. when we go out, i wear it, ride around in her car with her, gun on the back seat, holster up when we get out. We live in a crappy town with lots of crime so she enjoys the fact that i am armed 24-7 even when i go to work. and on the 17th she is taking a CCW course with me here in our apartment. and even put a downpayment on a Sig P250 for herself ;-)
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    My GF of 13-14 yrs wants an AR-15 in "Hello Kitty" format.

Do I need say anymore?
    She carries a 9mm, loves to shoot my .357, and she can handle a 20GA real well on the skeet range and the grouse woods.
    She want to get into a Glock .40, but the grips do not fit her hands correctly, so maybe an XDm is in the works for her too, as long as the color scheme is different than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by dinwi View Post
    My wife's only dilemma with CC is which gun to carry...
    I guess it depends on how tight she wants to wear her clothes.
    She keeps eying up my Kimber.... I think i'll have to tell her it makes her look fat...
    I would not recommend telling an armed woman that something makes her look fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutczak View Post
    My GF of 13-14 yrs wants an AR-15 in "Hello Kitty" format.
    13-14? Isn't that rather young Jerry Lee? We're talking serious jailbait here! But it explains the Hello Kitty stuff.

Ok, jokes aside... you have a good woman Nutczak!

So do I. Glock Girl won't let me leave home without checking to make sure I have my gun and my cell phone with me. She also keeps Hubert's and Nik's phone #'s handy in the event I encounter somebody who didn't get the memo.

She's also a certified instructor X3 and range safety officer.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    I would not recommend telling an armed woman that something makes her look fat.
    I wouldn't recommend even telling an unarmed woman that. Getting shot isn't necessarily the worse possible outcome.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

When I started dating my better half, she would not even look at a gun. 6 months or so later, I started carrying. Now a couple years later she wants to carry as soon as we can get her the gun she wants.

The trick I used was getting her into shooting a .22 rifle and then talking to her as if I was worried about her safety when I could not be there. Eventually I wore her down and got her into shooting a pistol. The rest happened naturally.

Good luck!
    I am Calico Jack,,,, And I approve this message!
    (Paid for by the blood of patriots, and Calico Jack Defense)
    Calico Jack Defense

My wife was anti gun when we met. I took her to the range and she fell in love.

She carries both ways (that sounds bad or good). I think she looks sexy with a gun on her hip.

She got mad I didn't buy her a SKS when I bought my Glock.

However, she never lost anyone to a gun so just taking your girl out to the range probably won't cut it.
    Last edited by sharkey; 05-12-2011 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    I'm not married, so I cannot help you convince her. However, do some research on all the crime in your area on why protection is a good thing.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...need-for-a-gun
    Neither am I, wish all the married fellas luck.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

My wife is very pro gun and thinks open carry is okay but she is looking forward to when we can conceal

Personally I think purse carry is bad. It's one of the first things some goes for in a crime of oppurtunity.

My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by BrewTownBagger View Post
    Welcome to the site, its a great place to be and to get your questions answered.

I have been OC'ing for about 6 months now, and I carry everyday. The wife was a little uneasy about the possible negative attention that it would bring but so far I have only had one person come up to me and give me any kind of grief.

The wife now is very comfortable with it and doesnt even notice it anymore, once a form of conceal carry passes, she too will be carrying herself. She doesnt carry now because it isnt good for business to have a gun hanging on her hip (shes a doctor)but has no problem keeping a firearm in her purse.

As far as concerns might go, I think your wife went through an experience that Im not about to say I understand, and the best thing would be to educate and expose her to other like minded people. Maybe bring her around a meet n greet so she can talk with other women who are carrying

anyway thats my 2cents

Hope you hang around and keep us posted

McX
    Mine: Tolerant and respectful of my views and rights, allows me and the kids full and free 2nd Amendment rights, doesnt allow OC around the house, but allows guns available, probably feels safer that we have available, OC, or CC, but doesnt comment much on it. it's a guy thing to her, and we outnumber her 5 to 1 in the house.

added on edit: once CC comes to pass, like the line in a song says: You'll never catch me out the house without my 9 or .45
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlQ7Fdy0Juk

added on double edit; a funny moment between father and son the other day; my 3rd oldest was inspecting my (unloaded and verified) .45, he stuffs his finger down the yawing barrel, and remarks: Damn, Dad, this thing shoots quarters!
    Last edited by McX; 05-12-2011 at 08:24 AM.

My wife has abducted two of my handguns. She told me to replace them with what I wanted. How can a guy argue with that? I love her!

My wife wasn't too comfortable with it in the beginning, but after hearing about some violent home invasions near our tiny little town she started to realize that bad things can happen anywhere. As she can't carry (we live in IL) I put some Mean Green pepper spray on her key ring. She was glad to have it one night when a creepy guy at Walmart started pestering her. Thankfully nothing bad happened.

Now she's all for it, and has her own permit too. She prefers that I conceal my firearm when friends/family come over. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't.

My wife is the one who actually got me to go get my hunter's safety because she deer hunted with her family. I had always wanted to own guns and go hunting but my parents never let me. Once I was was in college and I met my wife, I became more of a gun nut than her entire family. She's stopped hunting because she hates killing animals and she's only killed one deer in her life, and she's fine if I go do any sort of hunting. However, when it comes to open carrying, she really hates it when I do it so I only open carry when she's not with me. She doesn't mind if I wear it in the house because I think all she really hates about me open carrying is what other people might think and how they'd react. She wouldn't mind if I concealed carry because then other people wouldn't know, and she'd let me carry while I was with her then.

On another note, she likes to target shoot, but she really hates guns in public unless it's police officers wearing them. She knows how to shoot and handle them, but she had a negligent discharge during the first year I deer hunted with her, and that's only added to the fear. She accidentally dropped her Marlin 30-30 that doesn't have a safety on it. So yeah, once I can conceal carry, things will get easier on me.
    Join Wisconsin Carry today, defend your rights!

Wisconsin Carry member since March, 2011

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast