• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your spouses views on CC/OC?

sharkey

Personally I think purse carry is bad. It's one of the first things some goes for in a crime of oppurtunity.

My 2 cents.

Welcome to the site, its a great place to be and to get your questions answered.

I have been OC'ing for about 6 months now, and I carry everyday. The wife was a little uneasy about the possible negative attention that it would bring but so far I have only had one person come up to me and give me any kind of grief.

The wife now is very comfortable with it and doesnt even notice it anymore, once a form of conceal carry passes, she too will be carrying herself. She doesnt carry now because it isnt good for business to have a gun hanging on her hip (shes a doctor)but has no problem keeping a firearm in her purse.

As far as concerns might go, I think your wife went through an experience that Im not about to say I understand, and the best thing would be to educate and expose her to other like minded people. Maybe bring her around a meet n greet so she can talk with other women who are carrying

anyway thats my 2cents

Hope you hang around and keep us posted

M

McX

Mine: Tolerant and respectful of my views and rights, allows me and the kids full and free 2nd Amendment rights, doesnt allow OC around the house, but allows guns available, probably feels safer that we have available, OC, or CC, but doesnt comment much on it. it's a guy thing to her, and we outnumber her 5 to 1 in the house.

added on edit: once CC comes to pass, like the line in a song says: You'll never catch me out the house without my 9 or .45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlQ7Fdy0Juk

added on double edit; a funny moment between father and son the other day; my 3rd oldest was inspecting my (unloaded and verified) .45, he stuffs his finger down the yawing barrel, and remarks: Damn, Dad, this thing shoots quarters!

Last edited:

TyGuy

My wife wasn't too comfortable with it in the beginning, but after hearing about some violent home invasions near our tiny little town she started to realize that bad things can happen anywhere. As she can't carry (we live in IL) I put some Mean Green pepper spray on her key ring. She was glad to have it one night when a creepy guy at Walmart started pestering her. Thankfully nothing bad happened.

Now she's all for it, and has her own permit too. She prefers that I conceal my firearm when friends/family come over. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't.

Pyro01

My wife is the one who actually got me to go get my hunter's safety because she deer hunted with her family. I had always wanted to own guns and go hunting but my parents never let me. Once I was was in college and I met my wife, I became more of a gun nut than her entire family. She's stopped hunting because she hates killing animals and she's only killed one deer in her life, and she's fine if I go do any sort of hunting. However, when it comes to open carrying, she really hates it when I do it so I only open carry when she's not with me. She doesn't mind if I wear it in the house because I think all she really hates about me open carrying is what other people might think and how they'd react. She wouldn't mind if I concealed carry because then other people wouldn't know, and she'd let me carry while I was with her then.

On another note, she likes to target shoot, but she really hates guns in public unless it's police officers wearing them. She knows how to shoot and handle them, but she had a negligent discharge during the first year I deer hunted with her, and that's only added to the fear. She accidentally dropped her Marlin 30-30 that doesn't have a safety on it. So yeah, once I can conceal carry, things will get easier on me.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
My mother was always against me carrying/purchasing firearms. She refused to have a gun in her home. I showed her a youtube video of a lady getting raped on the phone with 911 and she went and purchased a XD9 within 20 minutes. (obviously not a video OF her being raped, it was the recording) That did it for her. Now she is waiting for her CHL to come in the mail. (even though OC is legal there, she refuses to do that, I keep trying to educate her on OC and how its FREE as opposed to the money and hoops you have to jump through for a CHL where she is)

Krusty

My wife has no problem with firearms. She just thinks I'm paranoid for carrying and that I just want to show off my newest gun. But she doesn't say anything about it, to me anyway.

safcrkr

My wife of 39 years has no fear nor any problems with firearms.... other than the amount of money I spend on gun "stuff". But even that has been less of an issue recently. My last two Christmas presents from her were a Mosin Nagant M44 and a Mossberg 935 12ga. She has NO problems with me carrying, in fact there's times when we're going somewhere "not so nice" that she reminds me "don't forget a gun". Like when we'd visit our daughter at school in Minneapolis, or travel down to see her family in Chicago.

She likes to shoot some of my handguns, and surprisingly, she's real good with a Glock 17. So good, in fact, it's scary. She "wowed" a few of my buddies by hitting four 20ga shotgun shells, that were set on top of the plywood backstop at the 10yd range, with only 6 shots fired. Even I had to say "WTF!!!". My daughter's just as good. In her MN permit range session, she shot a 147 out of a possible 150... using a S.A. 1911 Ultra Compact V-10 in .45acp.

She supports CC 100%, but probably won't carry herself, except maybe to have a loaded Glock in her car's console. Our daughter in MN has a permit, and I have two non-res permits. She doesn't like me to OC... she thinks it draws too much attention, but she's getting used to it.