• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Retention

Feynix

What types of retention are the favored types around here? I know that a lvl 3 Serpa would be more secure...however there comes the drawback of not being able to access quickly if needed (and not being available for my EAA witness). I currently have a holster that I used for my Jericho Baby Eagle, and am now using for my Witness .40S&W poly. It isn't a bad holster but probably not the best either. It does have a thumb break retention strap which isn't bad.

I know in the Coast guard, we use a certain type of holster for our SIG which has a loop of plastic that comes over the hammer. In order to draw, you slide the loop away from the hammer with a quick thumb action and then pivot the grip into your body which releases the weapon. It was a fairly quick means of access and a great security measure.

Chap

Another Coastie?????

You said we, I'm assuming your another Coastie Huh? I was station In Kodiak back in the early 80's on-board the CGC Ironwood. May she rest in Peace........ or (since she's scrapped) in Pieces.

I'm waiting for BlackHawk to come out with a level III SERPA for my XDM .45. They said it's on the drawing board.

YouTube has videos of Level II & Level III holsters and it appears just as fast a draw with the Level III hood.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM9HFjN4tWE

Chap

Last edited:

Feynix

You said we, I'm assuming your another Coastie Huh? I was station In Kodiak back in the early 80's on-board the CGC Ironwood. May she rest in Peace........ or (since she's scrapped) in Pieces.

I'm waiting for BlackHawk to come out with a level III SERPA for my XDM .45. They said it's on the drawing board.

YouTube has videos of Level II & Level III holsters and it appears just as fast a draw with the Level III hood.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM9HFjN4tWE

Chap

Good 'Ol Ironwood. wlb-297 right? I just finished my tour aboard CGC SPAR. I'm actually on terminal leave now, moving down to VA to open up a cigar lounge and go to college.

I wonder if they have anything coming out for EAA Witness...or at least any other CZ....it should fit.(maybe)

Last edited:

Chap

Roger that WLB-297

Congrats on your new business, I have a Mandatory 30 year retirement on 30NOV11.

I tried to stay past 30 but they said they no longer need me. I'm gonna open my own consulting firm here in Greenville, MS.

Sorry I'm not familiar with that holster brand or your pistol. Just wanted to say hey to another Coastie.

Chap

Last edited: