• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Door Opened to Second Amendment Rights for Crew of U.S. Flag Merchant Vessels

don.hamrick

The Department of Homeland Security and the U.S. Coast Guard's National Maritime Security Advisory Committee (NMSAC) held a public meeting of April 12, 2011, hosted by the American Bureau of Shipping at their Rosyln, Virginia location.

I spoke to that committee in person as an advocate seaman for Second Amendment rights of American merchant seamen, the crew of U.S. flag merchant vessels. I have asked the Committee to send letters inviting the NRA, SAF, JPFO, GOA, SAS, Cata Institute, and prominent Second Amendment attorneys and law professors to attend the next NMSAC public meeting so that they can pick up where I left off to further the cause for Second Amendment rights of American merchant seamen. Otherwise, the maritime industry will be steered toward contract security companies, A.K.A., mercenaries to provide security against Somali pirates.

See, Pioneering Patriot-Seaman Opens the Door to Second Amendment Rights on the Maritime Front at DHS/USCG NMSAC Meetng April 12, 2011 at my blog, American Common Defence Review, updated April 21, 2011.

I have pushed National Open Carry Handgun as a U.S. merchant seaman in the federal courts in Washington, DC for the list 9 years (2002 to the present) in defiance of the NRA and SAF refusal to help my case. And because National Open Carry in interstate travel has been politically incorrect and because I incurred hostile opposition on Second Amendment online discussion forums to the extent of getting banned from those forums I had to continue my litigious fight with the U.S. Government in federal court on my own.

:shocker: Incidentally, I am banned for life from this forum as Don Hamrick (ki5ss@yahoo.com) for reasons I do not remember, but most likely for defending my position on National Open Carry Handgun against criticisms that turned into flaming personal attacks. I have also been banned from freerepublic.com, thehighroad.org, and several other Second Amendment forums. This reflects more on these forums for their resistance to the full scope of Second Amendment rights what were once the social norm and the legal norm as they have always been the constitutional norm rather than a reflection on my advocacy for National Open Carry.

Now I ask John Pierce:

Because I have opened the door for Second Amendment rights for American merchant seamen with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the U.S. Coast Guard do you think I deserve the lifetime ban to be removed? I say, YES!

I invite John Pierce to attend the next public meeting of NMSAC, whenever they announce their next public meeting through the Federal Register.

Signed: Don Hamrick

Last edited:

j4l

Interesting subject,actually. I happen to agree with most of it- apart from the opposition to permitting private-contract firms providing security for the vessels.
Having the right ones on-board should be a comfort-all the more so if the seamen are themselves armed,also.
Piracy would come to a screeching halt if serious resistance were encountered,in most cases-i feel.

Not to be negative, but getting banned from that many forums might indicate another issue though..(even though I do understand that in some places they get touchy about calling out an ignoramus,when it's needed. eye-cough-eye-cough cough)
Not sure what it has to do with this forum, either. Good luck with the cause-keep us posted on how it shakes out,please.

don.hamrick

Click to download Motion for Relief from Judgment and New Judge from Another District Assigned to this Case.

And Yes! I WAS pissed off :cuss: when I wrote that motion. I had to get new evidence entered into the record in order to use it in my appeal to the DC Circuit.

Judge John D. Bates of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia did not allow me to file the above Motion. Notation on the title page of the Motion read "Motion for Leave to File Denied."

After nine (9) years of dismissals and accumulating enough evidence of judicial corruption and obstructions of justice based on bias against me as an unrepresented civil plaintiff I was ready to give up in disgust and frustration.

But now comes this new case precendent on the Second Amendment from the Volokh Conspiracy (blog) from the Peurto Rico Court of Appeals that gives me new motivation to appeal the dismissal of my own case.

Can anyone talk any sense into the head honchoes at the NRA, SAF, GOA, and others to give my Second Amendment case a proper look-see?

Last edited:

don.hamrick

Not to be negative, but getting banned from that many forums might indicate another issue though..(even though I do understand that in some places they get touchy about calling out an ignoramus, when it's needed. eye-cough-eye-cough cough)

I take the position that National Open Carry in intrastate and interstate travel of at least a handgun suitable for personal security and self-defense (and at best a .50 cal handgun ["just kidding"]) is the constitutional norm under the Second, Fourth, Fifth, Ninth, Tenth, Thirteenth, and Fourteenth Amendments as a vital function of the Common Defence clause in the Preamble to the Constitution. National Open Carry was once the legal norm and the social norm in the first 100 years of this nation. It has always been the constitutional norm.

Anyone who disagrees with that interpretation of the Second Amendment using excessive critism approaching personal insults was met with returning criticisms with equal severity.

Anything less than a full counter assault in defending the Second Amendment becomes appeasement with concessions to the enemies of the Second Amendment out of fear of descending into verbal hostilities and physical confrontations.

That's my philosophy in defending the Second Amendment. And it is that philosophy that has gotten me banned from those fluffy, touchy-feely, Second Amendment furoms as if the First Amendment was interpreted to mean that there is a constitutional right not to be offended by free speech as it is with our universities and college campuses.

That's my philosophy and I'm stickin' to it.

Last edited:

Aknazer

The issue that you could run into then is when you go against the rules of the forum. For example this site doesn't support the discussion of long gun OC and talking about it anyways can get you in trouble. By all means continue your work to restore the second amendment, but be mindful of the rules of the forums you visit.

j4l

I take the position that National Open Carry in intrastate and interstate travel of at least a handgun suitable for personal security and self-defense (and at best a .50 cal handgun ["just kidding"]) is the constitutional norm under the Second, Fourth, Fifth, Ninth, Tenth, Thirteenth, and Fourteenth Amendments as a vital function of the Common Defence clause in the Preamble to the Constitution. National Open Carry was once the legal norm and the social norm in the first 100 years of this nation. It has always been the constitutional norm.

Anyone who disagrees with that interpretation of the Second Amendment using excessive critism approaching personal insults was met with returning criticisms with equal severity.

Anything less than a full counter assault in defending the Second Amendment becomes appeasement with concessions to the enemies of the Second Amendment out of fear of descending into verbal hostilities and physical confrontations.

That's my philosophy in defending the Second Amendment. And it is that philosophy that has gotten me banned from those fluffy, touchy-feely, Second Amendment furoms as if the First Amendment was interpreted to mean that there is a constitutional right not to be offended by free speech as it is with our universities and college campuses.

That's my philosophy and I'm stickin' to it.

Understood. Not much different here.Suggest a tactic other than "protest everything at all cost" is somehow interepreted to mean you side with the cops, the law makers,etc.
Even if/when you suggest trying a different approach,like run for office,get elected, and make the changes you want for yourself.
All the talk about "rights this, rights that" yet not a one of the lot seem willing to excersize one of the most important ones they have.
Anything other than lock-step gun nuttery (enemy's perception,not my own) gets shouted down. Point out someone is an idiot, and they get all defensive and cry and call it "personal" .
Indeed, the touchy-feely/therapy crowd is getting tiresome.

j4l

The issue that you could run into then is when you go against the rules of the forum. For example this site doesn't support the discussion of long gun OC and talking about it anyways can get you in trouble. By all means continue your work to restore the second amendment, but be mindful of the rules of the forums you visit.

Which begs a question in itself: Why? Why half-asss it? For all the self-proclaimed "hardcores" in here, why are they so willing risk the one cause, yet ignore carry in General?

Aknazer

Which begs a question in itself: Why? Why half-asss it? For all the self-proclaimed "hardcores" in here, why are they so willing risk the one cause, yet ignore carry in General?

Because all the "hardcores" in here aren't the ones that make the rules of the forum? There's plenty of people who would be willing to discuss it, but they don't out of respect for the rules. And when it does occasionally come up due to someone doing it and making the headlines (such as the preson that carried an AR15 at the mall) it is even tolerated by the mods for a bit until things start to get out of hand.

You will also find that most people here have no desire to carry a long gun, simply that they think it shouldn't be disallowed.