• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

best defense tv: encounters with LEO's

papa bear

i have been following a couple of threads about open carry encounters with LEO's
then i saw this on a tv program called "best defense" comes on the outdoor channel. they had a scenario of an open carry with LEO's.

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/best-defense-open-carry/8460/

this is only a small part of the segment. they actual go on to the OCer refusing to give his Id. in which case they arrest him and handcuff him for "not cooperating". the third goes with, the OCer totally giving into the LEO's

the video was bias in a few ways. the OCer acted like he was on meth. in the first case. and very unrealistic LEO's. (overly , extremely professional) just not believable. the producers state that the OCer should not "politicize" the right to carry which i think some of the people on this site agrees with them.
if anyone can get the whole segment, i'd appreciate it

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Where does this nonsense about the cop going in your pocket for your ID come from!?!? The cop at the little scenario role-play in Northern Virginia a couple months ago did that. Is this some new twist that has become standard procedure?!?!

Cop: "Sir, in which pocket is your ID?"

Me: "No offense, officer, I know you are just doing your job, but I am privileged to not answer questions. Why am I being detained?"

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It is entertainment TV, not educational programing. Still I agree that it would be good to portray the correct interpretation of the law.

Arrested for "not cooperating" - no, no, NO!

papa bear

i think they do portrait themselves as a "educational" show. doing demonstrations and scenarios of self defense.
it would have helped if i could find all of the segment since it shows three different scenarios.
1st dead OCer, 2nd handcuffed OCer, 3rd dead fourth amendment

papa bear

Where does this nonsense about the cop going in your pocket for your ID come from!?!? The cop at the little scenario role-play in Northern Virginia a couple months ago did that. Is this some new twist that has become standard procedure?!?!

Cop: "Sir, in which pocket is your ID?"

Me: "No offense, officer, I know you are just doing your job, but I am privileged to not answer questions. Why am I being detained?"

that struck me too. years ago, a LEO would have not touched your wallet unless they had to arrest you, usually the hard way. i have been through check points and even then they want you to take it out of the holder. of course this is to get a good look at the ID

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
i think they do portrait themselves as a "educational" show. doing demonstrations and scenarios of self defense.
it would have helped if i could find all of the segment since it shows three different scenarios.
1st dead OCer, 2nd handcuffed OCer, 3rd dead fourth amendment

Because they claim a certain status doesn't make it so.

Many quiz shows and reality based farces have been shown/exposed to be what they are - pure entertainment.

IMO - way too many people are "educated" by TV and the quality of their education is in direct relation to what they paid for it.

tcmech

I saw that episode this morning and I have it on dvr, with that being said there is really no educational value to this segment because of the differing laws in all of the states that allow open carry.

Here in Virginia my response would have been my name is and I live at, now I have been identified. Please keep speaking into the microphone officer.

Other states that require permits may ask for ID's, I am not sure, and the peoples republic of kalifornia will want to make sure the gun is empty.

If you would like a copy of it pm me and I will see if I can figure out how to copy it off of the dvr.

Claytron

It is entertainment TV, not educational programing. Still I agree that it would be good to portray the correct interpretation of the law.

Arrested for "not cooperating" - no, no, NO!

The man in the video clip is arrested for "not complying with a lawful order" which is then narrated as being a wrongful arrest and a shot at the mans civil liberties. They didnt try to make it seem like you WILL get arrested but to let the viewer know that not producing ID could lead to an arrest, whther wrongful or not.

--Moderator deleted misdirection--

MR Redenck

That video was stupid!
First off, I dont see anyone acting that stupid as the first part of the video showed.
Second, I really have no problem showing my ID, "Dont even know if Texas Law requires me to". Even though I have no problem showing ID, THEY AINT GETTING IT OUT OF MY POCKET!!! SURE AS HELL AINT DIGGING IN MY WALLET! If you want to see, I'll hand it to you!

papa bear

I saw that episode this morning and I have it on dvr, with that being said there is really no educational value to this segment because of the differing laws in all of the states that allow open carry.

Here in Virginia my response would have been my name is and I live at, now I have been identified. Please keep speaking into the microphone officer.

Other states that require permits may ask for ID's, I am not sure, and the peoples republic of kalifornia will want to make sure the gun is empty.

If you would like a copy of it pm me and I will see if I can figure out how to copy it off of the dvr.

Thanks, i already have it on dvr. or whatever it is called on a satellite receiver. the one in the OP is the only one i could find. if you have a way of posting it that would be good.

the one reason i thought it was relevant was because of the recent threads were OCers were disarmed. i thought on the Video the OCer was portrayed as a nut and the LEO's were very, very, very reasonable. but i will agree that one should not be flaying your hands and arms around someone who has bee trained to fear it

how the call was placed was interesting too.
i noticed too, that it was made out to be a 2ndA issue and not a 4thA