• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Atlantic quotes OpenCarry.org's Mike Stollenwerk on campus carry

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-movement-stutter-steps-across-america/237915

SNIP

Last October, an email popped into my inbox from Mike Stollenwerk, co-founder of gun rights networking hub OpenCarry.org, which boasts the motto, "A right un-exercised is a right lost." He was responding to a question I had about the possible re-tabling of a bill in the Texas legislature which would, if passed, allow students to carry handguns with them to college.

At the time, only Utah allowed the carrying of concealed weapons into the classrooms of public universities, while Colorado left it up to the colleges themselves to decide. Stollenwerk wrote: "My bet is that there are a fair number of college students and faculty members across America who, after the Virginia Tech murders, have decided to regularly carry loaded concealed handguns to class even when it violates college administrative rules ... I hope campus carry is legalized in Texas soon."

But faculty members weren't as keen on their students packing heat during their lessons as Stollenwerk thought they might be. Last month, just as state senators were ready to send a bill to allow handguns on campus to a final vote, University of Texas (UT) Chancellor Francisco Cigarroa wrote a public letter to legislators saying the gun bill was a bad idea. And he had the public support of both the UT Faculty Counsel and Texas A&M University Faculty Senate. The result: the bill stalled in the Texas senate, lacking the two-thirds of votes needed to get it on to the floor.

But Sen. Jeff Wentworth, the Texas Republican who authored the bill, was persistent, and yesterday he managed to get it tacked on to a piece of education finance reform legislation which passed the state senate.

. . .

since9

Campaign Veteran
Hi, Mike.

As a Virginia Tech graduate, as well as a graduate student here in Colorado, I'd like to respond to this, as your answer has touched more than one of my stomping grounds.

Last October, an email popped into my inbox from Mike Stollenwerk, co-founder of gun rights networking hub OpenCarry.org, which boasts the motto, "A right un-exercised is a right lost." He was responding to a question I had about the possible re-tabling of a bill in the Texas legislature which would, if passed, allow students to carry handguns with them to college.

At the time, only Utah allowed the carrying of concealed weapons into the classrooms of public universities, while Colorado left it up to the colleges themselves to decide. Stollenwerk wrote: "My bet is that there are a fair number of college students and faculty members across America who, after the Virginia Tech murders, have decided to regularly carry loaded concealed handguns to class even when it violates college administrative rules ... I hope campus carry is legalized in Texas soon."

But faculty members weren't as keen on their students packing heat during their lessons as Stollenwerk thought they might be.

Stollenwork didn't say faculty members would be keen on students "packing heat." For one, that twisting has a very high negative index. Second, he never mentioned anything about what professors might think of students, or what students might think of professors, for that matter. What he said was that as a result of the Va Tech massacre, numbers in both camps have decided to carry in defense of themselves and others.

Last month, just as state senators were ready to send a bill to allow handguns on campus to a final vote, University of Texas (UT) Chancellor Francisco Cigarroa wrote a public letter to legislators saying the gun bill was a bad idea.

And why? For no good reason?

And he had the public support of both the UT Faculty Counsel and Texas A&M University Faculty Senate.

Is this the same liberal staff that averages 55% on standardized immigration tests with respect to our nation's history and Constitution?

The result: the bill stalled in the Texas senate, lacking the two-thirds of votes needed to get it on to the floor.

The result: Texas remains clutched in the hands of the Constitutionally illiterate, stripped of their basic Constitutional rights to defend and protect themselves, others, and their property.

But Sen. Jeff Wentworth, the Texas Republican who authored the bill, was persistent, and yesterday he managed to get it tacked on to a piece of education finance reform legislation which passed the state senate.

That sounds like good news! What's the status?