• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How Officer View Open Carry

Kivuli

And yet that vocal minority makes a large majority of the bad stops. Which means that if you're getting stopped chances are its by a less than stellar cop.

It's fairer to say that the vocal minority make the majority of stops that you HEAR ABOUT, but saying they make the majority of stops isn't quite accurate. Lots of perfectly reasonable LEOs talk to OCers on a daily basis, you just never hear about it because they understand the law, your rights, and can tell when something is suspicious and when something isn't after a brief investigation.

Moreover, they don't act like dingbats.

OldCurlyWolf

Did anyone notice that the most Vociferous were officers in the "Nanny States" of the East and West Coasts? :cuss:

The others, while PO'd at the "guy in the striped shirt" were much calmer and logical in their comments.:cool:

eye95

The "yes" or the "no" is kinda important, and I want it on tape. "Am I free to go?" followed by "Why am I being detained?" after a "no" (or a no reply) seems the best plan to me. After a "yes," feel free to start walking--or to stay and engage the officer who now is on an equal footing with you.

wrightme

XD Shooter, you hit the nail on the head....if not being detained, leave the location...I totally agree...:cool:
What do you suggest when you are where you desire to be?
Does the person who was there first (the LAC) need to leave the location that the LE was called to instead of being somewhere else fighting crime?

As an example, in line awaiting your coffee at Starbucks.

Last edited:

Deanimator

What do you suggest when you are where you desire to be?
Does the person who was there first (the LAC) need to leave the location that the LE was called to instead of being somewhere else fighting crime?

As an example, in line awaiting your coffee at Starbucks.
"I'm not being detained? Officer, I have no desire to converse with you further."

Then ignore him.

My lawyer prefers, "Am I free to leave?" They're essentially the same, but his way makes it COMPLETELY unambiguous whether you're being held against your will, regardless of the terminology.

Don't get into 4th Amendment and 5th Amendment legal technicalities with somebody who may not be able to spell "RAS".

Either you're free to leave or you're not. If you're not, invoke your right to silence and USE it. Let him rant, rave and stomp his little feet if he wants. Apart from specific ID requirements (carry a concealed firearm in Ohio, etc.) you have NO duty to talk to him or to consent to ANYTHING.

Last edited:

JohnH

And another:
I'm just glad that in my state, if you don't have a permit you can't carry a firearm anywhere on your person or in your vehicle. Only on your own property. Makes it alot easier. If I see one of these wackos carrying a gun on their hip I can stop them and ask for their permit. If they don't have one-go to jail.

That poster is sp23. Go back and take a close look at his avatar, it explains a great deal

papa bear

Sherif 108 is my new hero.

Agreed. in post #66 of that site, sherriff108 is identified. i dropped a line to the sheriff Berry thanking him for his posts. also, Justme001 deserves some praise.

one thing i noticed was the some post were positive( towards rights) some were a litle more neutral and a few were downright hostile, like Sp23, and SOI.
i do have a rule of thumb for this. IMO, 20% of LEOs do want to help people, 70% are just hero wantabees that like being in uniform, and 10% are power hungry and like the fact they can push people around. please don't take this for bashing, it is just an obervation

hermannr

Papa Bear, I think your percentages may be valid for larger areas, or maybe big cities, but up here in Okanogan County, or even in neighboring Chelan County, I don't think I have ever met a overtly power hungery LEO. Town, county, WSP or Reservation Police.

There may be one, but I have never met any. I know King County and Seattle have a couple problem children, but not up here.:D

I know, we have more cows, horses and deer than people here, and you know that does help. Pretty hard to bully a cow.

stainless1911

Banned
I've had far more trouble with small towns than larger ones and cities. Small town cops have a bad habit of living up to the stereotypical redneck hicktown jerkoff on a power trip than anywhere I've seen. Those are usually places that are dangerous to drive through as well.

MR Redenck

I watched some of the video. The only problem I saw was the idiot in the striped shirt. If they would have tazzered him, I would have laughed. :lol:
I couldnt read all the comment because they were just too stupid. I did like the Sheriff108, he seemed like a great guy who respects the rights of the people.

papa bear

Papa Bear, I think your percentages may be valid for larger areas, or maybe big cities, but up here in Okanogan County, or even in neighboring Chelan County, I don't think I have ever met a overtly power hungery LEO. Town, county, WSP or Reservation Police.

There may be one, but I have never met any. I know King County and Seattle have a couple problem children, but not up here.:D

I know, we have more cows, horses and deer than people here, and you know that does help. Pretty hard to bully a cow.

as i said it is a "rule of thumb" , i have had some suggest that the percentage needed to be reversed. you are welcome to adjust them any way you want

think of the division, if it is a small LEA, out of 10 Officers; 2 helpful, 7 wannabes, and one power hungry. larger; 200 helpful, 700 wanna bees, 100 power hungry

as i have always said sheriff dept. do seem to be more 2ndA friendly.

papa bear

I've had far more trouble with small towns than larger ones and cities. Small town cops have a bad habit of living up to the stereotypical redneck hicktown jerkoff on a power trip than anywhere I've seen. Those are usually places that are dangerous to drive through as well.

i actually had a discussion today at a gun show about that. some did think that smaller communities were like that. but i had to say that i thought you were more likely to run into it in a larger city were attitudes toward firearms is stricter

We-the-People

WOW. I jsut spent the better part of an evening reading the forum thread (linked in the OP) and I am absolutely flabberghasted at the attitudes displayed by some of the posters (mostly those claiming to be LEO's) over there.

One thing that really gets to me is the idea that, and I'm paraphrasing and combining here......"citizens can't just go around carrying firearms and not expect to be hassled by police"........ This attitude that the people are "citizens" but somehow they are above that "status".......SCARY.
It's the same with the term "civillians"......For many police (most?) don't consider themselves civillians.....yet the only non civillian US citizens are MILITARY and while our police forces have been highly militarized, they are NOT the military, they are civillians!

To be fair, it's not all of them and there were several officers, as well as a....can you believe it....San Francisco ADA (if we believe peoples statements as to their credentials) who atempted to point out the fourth amendment issues involved.

What also amazed me was the apparent inability of the posters (on both sides) to correctly identify the way the incident in question "went down" and then how the fourth amendment issue kept reverting to second amendment arguments.

There is ample evidence easily available to completely explain how it all went down, including whether a REASONABLE PERSON would believe they were detained.

The incident in question happend prior to Sept 2007 (it was posted in August 2007 and I would assume that it occured shortly before that though it's possible it was a "recycled" vid and happened even earlier).

Per the OCer (statement at the end of the video) he was walking from his car to a meeting that was nearby. The distance he gives is 40 yards, when the first officer "contacted" him. Being a Freestater he immediately dialed PORC411 which is their (Freestaters) well established system for documenting interactions with government agents (interactions of of all types). This explains the audio only initial portion of the clip as it was from the PORC411 recording until a video camera showed up.

The Freestaters at the meeting he was walking to were notified through the PORC411 system and immediately exited their meeting to support their fellow Freestater. One of those began video taping and that is why the audio only beginning then goes to audio video.

The police contact was an officer initiated contact, not a MWAG call. This is obvious from the officers statements and those of Ridley.

There were no "complainants" present, only fellow Freestaters.

The OCer (Dave Ridley) was initially asked by the officer if he had ID and Ridley replied that he did but he wasn't required to give it to him (the officer). The officers reply "no but I like to know who I'm talking to". This implies though it doesn't state it clearly (a word trick used by LE) that Ridley is not detained but the officer is making a "consensual contact". Ridley then says "Dave Ridley" and something about a website so the officer now "knows who he's talking to" at least as far as having a name to call him by, knowing who Ridley is simply isn't a requirement but Ridley gave him a name.....which he did not have to do if not being detained.

Here's a "quick" timeline from there.......

0:34 sec Then the officer wants "something to back that up". He is again attempting to "trick" the law abiding OCer into producing ID without actually demanding it (as he has no legal grounds on which to do so).
My father, retired CHP, used such tactics quite effectively for his entire career. He also however, knew that if he was trying to use a consensual contact that he might be twarted by being told "no thanks, bye".
I myself have used the tactics when employed as a security guard. "Let's see your license and registration please" when stopping a trespassing vehicle (who pulled over for the YELLOW light which was legal to have on my vehicle but had no authority to stop behind it). 99.9% of the time compliance is automatic, when they say "NO" they were told they were trespassing and to leave of the police would be called to arrest them.

Appx 0:45 Officer instructs Ridley to hang up the phone. When Ridley asks why the officers says "cause you've got to talk to me so I can [either CHECK or HELP] you out" (I am going to go with "Check")
If Ridley HAS to talk to him then is the officer excalating this consensual stop to a detainment for a lowful activity? NO, he's merely using word games to attempt to get compliance in a situation for which he has no lawful authority to detain the individual.

1:28 Officer says "I just want to make sure you are who you say you are".
The officer has no lawful right in an OC legal jurisdiction to "make sure you are who you say you are" when there is no RAS. Still, he's playing word games, neither detaining the individual nor admitting that his only authority at this point is a consensual stop.

1:29 Video begins as the Freestaters from Murphy's tavern arrive after receiving PORC411 notification that Ridley has been detained nearby.

2:13 Officer states "identify yourself [garbled] and determine that you're not prohibited from having a weapon"
FAIL absent RAS he has no right yet he still has not said that Ridely is being detained or not so is this just a forceful "request" during a consensual contact? Take a look at the officers physical stance and position, as well as the officer behind Ridley (blocking him from going in the direction he was originally travelling). The REASONABLE PERSON at this point is going to think they were being detained and THAT is the legal standard that determines whether a detention has occured.

The officer then asks for a license to drive, again so he can verify Ridley's identification.

3:25 There is then a brief amount of dialog between the striped shirt guy (who was out of line at several points during the detainment) and some bystanders about why Ridley was stopped. The man talking to "striped shirt" was apparently not a Freestater but there to find out why the cops had stopped Ridley.....now that's a bit strange

5:25 A third officer arrives and is seen approaching on foot from his car across the street. From later video this is apparently a Manchesteer PD supervisor.

6:25 Ridley states (talking for the record, not to any officers) there are multiple cars and officers (apparently not in view of teh video at this point)

6:35 Video shows TWO Manchester officers conferring with the state officer with a third Manchester officer standing between Ridley and his destination.

7:15 Now the Manchester officer (apparently suppervisor) starts in on........ if you're doing an informational thing you have to keep walking......Clueless as to the fact that he WAS walking when he was STOPPED by the state officer. Clueless that the "group" had only accumulated after Ridley was stopped.
Also apparent is that the state officer is now a "non player" in the "drama" and he is not seen again.

7:30 Manchester supervisor "are these your signs here" then proceeds to go over to take down what he apparently thinks are some sort of protest signs put up by Ridley and his "group"......

7:35 Manchester Supervisor "You can't post signs...."

7:50 Manchester supervisor shakes hands with the non Freestater who has just said "you should leave the girl scouts alone"......EPIC FAIL and "common citizen" sees the rediculousness of the government agents.

8:25 Manchester PD supervisor "...you're video taping me I don't want that anymore"
AGAIN the police are playing word games. Attempting to intimidate citizens into stopping lawful activity by making statements of authority to which they have no authority.

8:40 Ridley is no longer detained (or whatever you want to call it) and explains that he was walking from his car to Murphy's tap room estimating the distance as "a 40 yard hike".

The posters on the officer.com site repeatedly say he was out looking for a conflict. Yet according to Ridley, which seems to bebacked by the progression of the video, he was merely walking from his car to the meeting. This seems to be supported by the appearance of the people who were at the meeting site AFTER he was detained and called the PORC411 system which alerted them. Had he been looking for a conflict he'd have parked much further away and would also have had video equipment on him to document the entire incident from prior to police arrival.

I've watched a lot of Ridley's videos. I've also watched a lot of videos where there was baiting going on. Ridley's video doesn't fit the "profile" of a baiting video or it would have had video documentation of his actions prior to police arrival to "show he was lawful" and "striped shirt" guy would be unlikely to have been "invited" as he seemed to be an unpredictable variable throughout the incident. Not something wanted in a planned activity unless the idea is to provoke his arrest, which would have (in his case) been easily articulated as legitimate...though the police would have had to admit that Ridley was being detained, which would have been an unlawful detention.

Anyway, it was kind of scary to hear the attitudes of so many on the police site. Glad OC here in Southern Oregon is pretty non eventful. Aside from the "are you a cop" and "is that legal" questions it's pretty boring.....AS IT SHOULD BE.

1245A Defender

well,,,

In my view, a "casual" encounter or "consensual" encounter is a detainment. By the way, if the officer initiated the "consensual" encounter, it is/was not consensual. Consent requires two folks to go along.

If you are weak, You will always be subject to being detained!

If you are strong, say "no thank you" to the cop, turn and walk away!

now you will be able to tell if it was consensual, cause you will be walking away.

If the cop orders you to halt, grabs your arm, or shoots you in the back, it is a detainment!

eye95

In my view, a "casual" encounter or "consensual" encounter is a detainment. By the way, if the officer initiated the "consensual" encounter, it is/was not consensual. Consent requires two folks to go along.

The standard that the courts have set for whether a person has been detained ("seized") is whether a reasonable person would believe that he is not free to go. Generally, a single officer talking to a citizen would not meet this standard.

Also, if the encounter is found to be "consensual," then, by definition, your participation is voluntary.

Personally, I don't mind being approached by an officer. I have to admit getting a few butterflies though. Anyway, a few of us spent an hour with an officer at Starbucks who approached us. We never felt detained. We just all sat together, drinking coffee, talking about OC, politics, local happenings, weather, etc.

The two times that I have been detained, it was obvious that I was being detained. In one encounter the officer took my firearm for the duration. They can only do that during a lawful stop. So the officer considered the encounter a detention. In the second, I was surrounded by four officers, almost the exact description one court used for an example of what would make a reasonable person feel that he is not free to go.