Thread: prosecutor: father who killed son acted in self defense

prosecutor: father who killed son acted in self defense

http://www.wzzm13.com/rss/article/16...n-self-defense

GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) - A Grand Rapids father who shot his son, then called 911 will not face charges.
    On January 19, 2011 authorities say Garry McGhee, 55, shot and killed his son, Brandon O'Connor, 31, Inside their home on Sylvan SE.
    McGhee immediately called police.
    In a written opinion released Thursday, the Kent County Prosecutor says McGhee acted in self defense.
    McGhee told investigators he changed the locks on his house earlier that day, because he felt threatened by his son's erratic behavior.
    An autopsy revealed O'Connor was using cocaine at the time.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

That has to be tough.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

"Tough" really isn't a strong enough word. I honestly do not know if, as a father, I could do what that man did. Even if my life were in imminent danger.

The exception to that would be if my not acting caused a threat to my wife, daughters, daughter-in-law. Then I most probably could and would. And, for the rest of my life, repeat King David's lament, "O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! would God I had died for thee, O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    "Tough" really isn't a strong enough word. I honestly do not know if, as a father, I could do what that man did. Even if my life were in imminent danger.
    It seems I have a flair for extreme understatement. More than several have commented on that.

I really don't think that there is a word or small group of words that is sufficient to semi-adequately describe that situation.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Oh, man.
    What a horrible choice to have to face - kill your kid or be killed yourself, maybe your wife?
    Hope he talks with someone... a lot...
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

This is truly a worse case scenario. I enjoy reading about good people defending themselves, but then I read a story like this... wow! That poor man. :-(