• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

prosecutor: father who killed son acted in self defense

lil_freak_66

http://www.wzzm13.com/rss/article/165413/14/Prosecutor-Father-who-killed-son-acted-in-self-defense

GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) - A Grand Rapids father who shot his son, then called 911 will not face charges.
On January 19, 2011 authorities say Garry McGhee, 55, shot and killed his son, Brandon O'Connor, 31, Inside their home on Sylvan SE.
McGhee immediately called police.
In a written opinion released Thursday, the Kent County Prosecutor says McGhee acted in self defense.
McGhee told investigators he changed the locks on his house earlier that day, because he felt threatened by his son's erratic behavior.
An autopsy revealed O'Connor was using cocaine at the time.

SFCRetired

"Tough" really isn't a strong enough word. I honestly do not know if, as a father, I could do what that man did. Even if my life were in imminent danger.

The exception to that would be if my not acting caused a threat to my wife, daughters, daughter-in-law. Then I most probably could and would. And, for the rest of my life, repeat King David's lament, "O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! would God I had died for thee, O Absalom, my son, my son!"

OldCurlyWolf

"Tough" really isn't a strong enough word. I honestly do not know if, as a father, I could do what that man did. Even if my life were in imminent danger.

It seems I have a flair for extreme understatement. More than several have commented on that.

I really don't think that there is a word or small group of words that is sufficient to semi-adequately describe that situation.
:banghead::cuss:

cleveland

This is truly a worse case scenario. I enjoy reading about good people defending themselves, but then I read a story like this... wow! That poor man. :-(