• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Range Rat gett'n hassled

littlewolf

Got a call from Range Rat, surrounded by PD at South Ridge . Nik has been called.

According to Range Rat he was stopped in his vehicle while leaving Sears. Apparently someone called and said he was OC'n in the mall.

Wish him well.

littlewolf

Update

Talked to Range rat 2 min. ago,seems Greendale PD made an illegal stop and wanted to search his car and check to see if his firearm was unloaded and encased. He has all their names and conversation ON TAPE !Cops said he was in the mall and Sears is part of the mall .WRONG ! He said he was followed in the store ,more than likely a store dick.

He will post later after he talks to Nik.

I think a small tribute is due from Greendale....$

CalicoJack10

It is just one thing after another today. First walker, then no Lifeguard at swimming for the kids, now this. I am getting really tired of good people going through BS for no better reason than someone feels like it.

I will watch carefully for updates. Hopw all is well RangeRat. Let us know everything is Alpha Charlie.

MKEgal

I don't know any way to say this that won't be taken as cop-bashing...
[rant]
How stupid are the LEOS we have in SE WI!?!?!?!?
There have been several VERY public cases where various agencies got their hands (I'll be nice) slapped for behaving badly toward OCers.
It's been 2 years since the AG's memo.
What is it going to take to get LEOs to follow the law?
:cuss: :banghead: :cuss: :banghead:
[/rant]

So... where & when is the protest?

JoeSparky

Centurion
It would be NORMAL for the Leo's to WANT to search the car no matter the jurisdiction. 2 issues here-- first, what was their suspicion or probable cause for initiating the stop and second,-- WHAT HAPPENED after the Leos were informed that a WARRANT would be needed before they could search the vehicle?

Jason in WI

Hope everything is well with Range Rat :cry:.

I'm also hopping the police just "wanted" to search his car and didn't insist. I'm going to give the police the benefit of the doubt until we hear otherwise.

M

McX

did his gun match his shoes? you know how the cops are about that!

littlewolf

It would be NORMAL for the Leo's to WANT to search the car no matter the jurisdiction. 2 issues here-- first, what was their suspicion or probable cause for initiating the stop and second,-- WHAT HAPPENED after the Leos were informed that a WARRANT would be needed before they could search the vehicle?

#1 P.C. PD was called because he was OC'n in Sears. Sound familiar MKE Gal ?
#2 Wanted to know if his firearm was stored in compliance with state vehicle transport laws i.e. unloaded and encased.
He told me he was detained for 25 min.,not under arrest and frisked for more weapons . not sure if they demanded ID but since he was driving more than likely and he would have had to comply (good way for them to get your ID ). Good thing he had his recorder going.

M

McX

#2 Wanted to know if his firearm was stored in compliance with state vehicle transport laws i.e. unloaded and encased.

GET A WARRANT!

Vandil

Well, the right call was made. WCI would also be my first call.

Yeah I carry his card in my wallet right behind my Utah CCW permit. I'm pretty sure I'd still call my wife first but her first call would be to him and my lawyer.

MKEgal

oak1971 said:
Totality of the circumstances...
Oh, no... there's that phrase again. I can hear McX screaming all the way from Racine, see the papers being thrown about. :lol:

littlewolf said:
#1 P.C. PD was called because he was OC'n in Sears. Sound familiar MKE Gal?
Oh, yes. See my rant a few posts up.
What is it going to take to get through the (collectively) thick skulls of WI LEOs that OC is legal, a protected civil right, and is not RAS for any nonconsensual contact?!?!?
The AG has spoken, there have been moderate payouts from cities that infringed on the civil rights of OCing citizens... What more will it take?

littlewolf said:
To which, if you choose to speak with the police, you say "yes it is" and that should be the end of it, unless they can convince a judge to issue a warrant.

ETA: I find the juxtaposition of the avatars in posts #14 & 15 amusing in a dark, twisted way.

Last edited:

RR_Broccoli

Yet another reason* to never set foot in Sears.

*As if bad prices, annoying retail workers, poor selection, china-quality crap and needing to snake through a friggin mall parking lot to get there weren't enough. :cuss:

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
Yet another reason* to never set foot in Sears.

*As if bad prices, annoying retail workers, poor selection, china-quality crap and needing to snake through a friggin mall parking lot to get there weren't enough. :cuss:
I've never had a problem with Sears and they don't post any signage that I have ever seen.

They do still have some USA made tools, you just need to search a little bit for them... not as good as they used to be though, I can't argue with that.

littlewolf

I do not think the Problem lies with Sears, they follow all state laws pertaining to open carry. More than likely some over zealous undercover security guard or customer who does not know the law, the PD told him ORR if he wants to know who called.
I very seldom go to Sears or their sister company K-Mart but have never had any problems when I do.

xd40arff

This is exhibit #347 that I am glad I live in a rural area where the LEO's are about 99.9% of the time informed and respectful. Sorry to hear you got hassled Range Rat. Greendale PD has always been known for borderline harassing people. When I was in high school in that area it was like every kid under 18 was a criminal in some way shape or form no matter what just for being in Greendale.