Thread: OC In Car.

OC In Car.

Hello,
    I will be moving back to Virginia *thank god* and I have decided to give OC a try. My question is, When I am traveling in my car, it must be in the glove box, or clearly visible. Does Having the Weapon holstered and on my belt count as clearly visible? if not what if the weapon was holstered wedged between the seat and the center console? I am also wondering the same thing about NC, as I go down there quite often.

Thanks In Advance

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EMTLovell View Post
    Hello,
    I will be moving back to Virginia *thank god* and I have decided to give OC a try. My question is, When I am traveling in my car, it must be in the glove box, or clearly visible. Does Having the Weapon holstered and on my belt count as clearly visible? if not what if the weapon was holstered wedged between the seat and the center console? I am also wondering the same thing about NC, as I go down there quite often.

Thanks In Advance
    Welcome back to Va!

You asked a lot of questions. Even though the search engine is a PITA, you should do a search because there has been a lot of discussion on these questions.

OC can either be open in the car (On your side, on the seat, Dash, etc) or in a secured container like the glove box.
    Someone else can answer NC. We have a number of members from there and they're more familiar with the laws.

Welcome back to Va!
    Thanks, Glad To Be Back!

Even though the search engine is a PITA, you should do a search because there has been a lot of discussion on these questions.
    Sorry , but thanks for answering my questions.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Thanks, Glad To Be Back!

Sorry , but thanks for answering my questions.
    The reason I suggested the SE is there has been a ton of discussion about holster carry with the holster next to the console or door or even in restaurants with strong side to the wall.

The bottom line is it's OK but it has been a hot topic.

Depending on how long ago you left, things might have changed a bit.

CC (and OC as always) is fine in restaurants that serve alcohol
    CHP not required for concealed car carry so long as the firearm is in a secured (not locked) container (glovebox, center console, etc...).
    State Parks, National Parks, and State Forests (a month from now) no longer have undue restrictions. Carry however you want.
    The current AG has recently agreed with what most gun owners already knew, and opined that self defense is a sufficient reason for church carry.
    The GMU ban in the VAC has been tried and upheld. Carry on the campus outside of buildings is fine.

Anybody else??
    Last edited by t33j; 05-12-2011 at 11:02 PM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Car OC

Welcome back to the Old Dominion. To build on t33j's comment below, go to http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Transporting.shtm and you'll get the info straight from the Troopers to wit: "As of July 1, 2010, a concealed handgun permit is not necessary when carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel." Sounds better than having your handgun be "observable" on the vehicle seat or dash as some have said. Guess that would be okay until you make a quick turn or stop and have your handgun bouncing around the compartment.
    (I'd get a CHP to be on the safe side then how you carry in your vehicle becomes less of a problem. I have my CHP and feel more secure about OCing around town as well as having the option to CC when that option is best, but that's just me).
    Last edited by TxSwampRat; 05-13-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by t33j View Post
    Depending on how long ago you left, things might have changed a bit.

CC (and OC as always) is fine in restaurants that serve alcohol
    CHP not required for concealed car carry so long as the firearm is in a secured (not locked) container (glovebox, center console, etc...).
    State Parks, National Parks, and State Forests (a month from now) no longer have undue restrictions. Carry however you want.
    The current AG has recently agreed with what most gun owners already knew, and opined that self defense is a sufficient reason for church carry.
    The GMU ban in the VAC has been tried and upheld. Carry on the campus outside of buildings is fine.

Anybody else??
    Just to clarify a point, t33j. It's OK if the container is actually locked, and it's the handgun that is to be secured, not the container.

18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.
    B.10. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    Just to clarify a point, t33j. It's OK if the container is actually locked, and it's the handgun that is to be secured, not the container.

18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.
    B.10. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel.
    Yeah I was trying to point out the change in language from locked to secured thanks to the Governor. I didn't phrase it well enough.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Welcome back (Central Va, here).

Good answers but I'd add that wedging your HG between seat and console is not a good method of transport because if you have a collision it becomes a flying missile with bullets in it, inside your car.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Hello,

Thanks In Advance
    Welcome back. Where are you moving back from?

As for OC'ing in your car, the best place for your firearm is in a holster on your side. And make sure that access to it is not impeded. You'll be fine carrying your gun in this manner. Regarding North Carolina, I suggest visiting their forum on this sight and posing your question to get the best info.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Welcome back. Where are you moving back from?

As for OC'ing in your car, the best place for your firearm is in a holster on your side. And make sure that access to it is not impeded. You'll be fine carrying your gun in this manner. Regarding North Carolina, I suggest visiting their forum on this sight and posing your question to get the best info.
    I joined the US Navy back in Jan of 09, and finally getting outta Great Lakes, IL. (hate this state, weather sucks, gun rights really sucks) and will be moving to the Hampton Roads Area.
    I've lived just about all over the state (Hampton Roads, Waynesboro, Roanoke, Botetourt Co, Franklin County)