• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC In Car.

EMTLovell

Hello,
I will be moving back to Virginia *thank god* and I have decided to give OC a try. My question is, When I am traveling in my car, it must be in the glove box, or clearly visible. Does Having the Weapon holstered and on my belt count as clearly visible? if not what if the weapon was holstered wedged between the seat and the center console? I am also wondering the same thing about NC, as I go down there quite often.

Thanks In Advance

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hello,
I will be moving back to Virginia *thank god* and I have decided to give OC a try. My question is, When I am traveling in my car, it must be in the glove box, or clearly visible. Does Having the Weapon holstered and on my belt count as clearly visible? if not what if the weapon was holstered wedged between the seat and the center console? I am also wondering the same thing about NC, as I go down there quite often.

Thanks In Advance

Welcome back to Va!

You asked a lot of questions. Even though the search engine is a PITA, you should do a search because there has been a lot of discussion on these questions.

OC can either be open in the car (On your side, on the seat, Dash, etc) or in a secured container like the glove box.
Someone else can answer NC. We have a number of members from there and they're more familiar with the laws.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks, Glad To Be Back!

Sorry :(, but thanks for answering my questions.

The reason I suggested the SE is there has been a ton of discussion about holster carry with the holster next to the console or door or even in restaurants with strong side to the wall.

The bottom line is it's OK but it has been a hot topic.

t33j

Depending on how long ago you left, things might have changed a bit.

CC (and OC as always) is fine in restaurants that serve alcohol
CHP not required for concealed car carry so long as the firearm is in a secured (not locked) container (glovebox, center console, etc...).
State Parks, National Parks, and State Forests (a month from now) no longer have undue restrictions. Carry however you want.
The current AG has recently agreed with what most gun owners already knew, and opined that self defense is a sufficient reason for church carry.
The GMU ban in the VAC has been tried and upheld. Carry on the campus outside of buildings is fine.

Anybody else??

Last edited:

TxSwampRat

Car OC

Welcome back to the Old Dominion. To build on t33j's comment below, go to http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Transporting.shtm and you'll get the info straight from the Troopers to wit: "As of July 1, 2010, a concealed handgun permit is not necessary when carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel." Sounds better than having your handgun be "observable" on the vehicle seat or dash as some have said. Guess that would be okay until you make a quick turn or stop and have your handgun bouncing around the compartment.
(I'd get a CHP to be on the safe side then how you carry in your vehicle becomes less of a problem. I have my CHP and feel more secure about OCing around town as well as having the option to CC when that option is best, but that's just me).

Last edited:

2a4all

Depending on how long ago you left, things might have changed a bit.

CC (and OC as always) is fine in restaurants that serve alcohol
CHP not required for concealed car carry so long as the firearm is in a secured (not locked) container (glovebox, center console, etc...).
State Parks, National Parks, and State Forests (a month from now) no longer have undue restrictions. Carry however you want.
The current AG has recently agreed with what most gun owners already knew, and opined that self defense is a sufficient reason for church carry.
The GMU ban in the VAC has been tried and upheld. Carry on the campus outside of buildings is fine.

Anybody else??
Just to clarify a point, t33j. It's OK if the container is actually locked, and it's the handgun that is to be secured, not the container.

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.
B.10. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel.

t33j

Just to clarify a point, t33j. It's OK if the container is actually locked, and it's the handgun that is to be secured, not the container.

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.
B.10. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel.

Yeah I was trying to point out the change in language from locked to secured thanks to the Governor. I didn't phrase it well enough.

Badger Johnson

Welcome back (Central Va, here).

Good answers but I'd add that wedging your HG between seat and console is not a good method of transport because if you have a collision it becomes a flying missile with bullets in it, inside your car.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Hello,

Thanks In Advance

Welcome back. Where are you moving back from?

As for OC'ing in your car, the best place for your firearm is in a holster on your side. And make sure that access to it is not impeded. You'll be fine carrying your gun in this manner. Regarding North Carolina, I suggest visiting their forum on this sight and posing your question to get the best info.

EMTLovell

Welcome back. Where are you moving back from?

As for OC'ing in your car, the best place for your firearm is in a holster on your side. And make sure that access to it is not impeded. You'll be fine carrying your gun in this manner. Regarding North Carolina, I suggest visiting their forum on this sight and posing your question to get the best info.

I joined the US Navy back in Jan of 09, and finally getting outta Great Lakes, IL. (hate this state, weather sucks, gun rights really sucks) and will be moving to the Hampton Roads Area.
I've lived just about all over the state (Hampton Roads, Waynesboro, Roanoke, Botetourt Co, Franklin County)