• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wausau Hearing and NRA Grassroots meeting

phred

The Senate hearing went very well. Most spoke in favor of both bills being passed or some kind of a blend of Constitutional Carry with an optional permit. A few antis spoke but the Pros to Cons ratio was about 5 to 1. About 90 people registered a preference FOR the bills and about 30 opposed any type of concealed carry. The whole atmosphere was polite and well-mannered.

Three speakers representing the NRA, Brent Gardner (Grassroots Coordinator), Buster Bachuber (NRA Board of Directors), and Jeff Nass (WI-FORCE) all spoke very well in favor of both bills.

Several Safety/Training Instructors supported both bills and did not favor any mandated training. Gene German was in favor of SB90 but not SB 93 because of the Federal GFSZ and reciprocity issues.

There were 2 chiefs of police that spoke. The one from Endeavor who was the very first speaker, did a fantastic job, was well articulated, and supported both bills with no training mandate. He was also the head of a training business. The other chief was from Wausau. He opposed SB93 and he wanted more restrictions put on SB90 such as high levels of training and many places that would be restricted to carry.

The perspective of many who spoke centered around the idea that the government should be trusting of Law abiding citizens and they did not want any more permits, and taxes.

Overall, I was impressed. I thought there would have been many more people and especially many more antis. Most of the support was for Constitutional Carry. Anybody who says that Constitutional Carry is dead in the water is gravely mistaken.

btw, I met and talked to all three Republican Senators. Neal Kedzie knows Paul Fisher quite well and said to say "hi". It seems they chat often!! Thanks Paul for all your work. They all were very optimistic for both bills.

The NRA Grassroots meeting was, well, the NRA. It was good on that it was informative, but the recruitment angle was very noticeable. The sheer size and power of the NRA was evident. Well over 100 people were in attendance.(in a room for 40). I could tell that it was a well-oiled machine. The 3 Republican Senators were there at the start and it was good for them to see the supportive crowd.

Several points were brought up. The permit bill will satisfy reciprocity in about 18 states without a training mandate and it will give a person a free ticket through the GFSZ. SB93 will not suffice in those areas.

However, IMHO, we should still be pushing darn hard for SB93 simply to have it in the books for when the Federal GFSZ Act is done away with. There are some, even many, that do not want to get a permit. We will probably not get a better chance than now to get Constitutional Carry.

Also, FYI
What: 29th Senate District Concealed Carry/Constitutional Carry Meet-Your-Senator Event

Where: Culver's in Rothschild - corner of Cty XX and Business 51

When: Monday May 16th at 5:30 PM

Senator Pam Gallowy (29th District) has been invited to attend. Her aide replied and this date/time is now marked on her calendar. He said she would be happy to attend. I reminded her of this today and she is excited and planning to be there.

As usual, Open-carry is encouraged but not required. If you are planning to come to this, please PM me so I can let Culver's know if a goodly crowd will be expected.

Last edited:

Trip20

I'll be there. Mark me down for attendance. You met my buddy Al tonight -- I couldn't make it to the UW meeting due to getting out of work at 5pm in Mosinee, and never planned on the Gander pep rally, but I promise to be there on Monday.

Last edited:

Optimus Prime

I didn't make the hearing, but I thought the NRA "workshop" went pretty well. It was very informative, I learned a lot, and it was great to see the legislators at least make an appearance. Despite the recruiting angle (which will always be there with an NRA sponsored event...) the two main speakers came across as honestly caring and hoping to get the best they can for us. My only real complaint was that there weren't enough chairs (not that that's a bad thing...)

I wish I could have stuck around a little longer to introduce myself to the other two guys that were OCing, but I had to get back to Point for work. Good to see us representing though!

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

Neal Kedzie knows Paul Fisher quite well and said to say "hi". It seems they chat often!! Thanks Paul for all your work. They all were very optimistic for both bills.

LOL! I bet he is happy I now have a job. Much less time to go sit in his office and keep repeating 'repeal 941.23'.

Thanks for the report Phred.

After our little NRA meeting Wednesday at Cabela's, I am much more impressed with them. They definitely will settle for less than I will but you could tell they have learned a lot of lessons, such as, permits and training aren't necessary. They seem genuinely working on eliminating both from any bill in any state but, once again, will settle.

Last edited:

phred

For those of you that are interested, (someone on some thread asked) the Endeavor Police Chief runs Advanced Protection Group (http://www.apgwi.com) and his name is Dominic Ferrara. This is not an advertisement nor an endorsement. Other than listening to his eloquent testimony and thanking him for it, I have no experience with him or his company. Investigate on your own.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I didn't make the hearing, but I thought the NRA "workshop" went pretty well. It was very informative, I learned a lot, and it was great to see the legislators at least make an appearance. Despite the recruiting angle (which will always be there with an NRA sponsored event...) the two main speakers came across as honestly caring and hoping to get the best they can for us. My only real complaint was that there weren't enough chairs (not that that's a bad thing...)

I wish I could have stuck around a little longer to introduce myself to the other two guys that were OCing, but I had to get back to Point for work. Good to see us representing though!

I attended this work shop the last time we had CCW come up during Doyles reign of destruction..so yes the info is good.

phred

Up date on Culver's

The Meet n' Eat with Senator Galloway went very well. There were at least 25 people besides the Senator. I couldn't get everyone in the photos. We took up one whole seating in Culver's. She talked about Constitutional Carry and her strong support of it. She fielded questions and gave great answers about the bills, the status, and what members could do to help get Constitutional Carry through the legislature.
She said that rumors of the death of Constitutional Carry are in no way true. support is increasing. Her suggestion was to contact your own legislators, no matter what side of the issue they have currently taken and give them your views and that you want the particular legislator to support Constitutional Carry, Be polite and non-threatening and give a reason or two why you want Constitutional Carry. Make the phone call and/or email and/or letter contact (or multiple contacts) short and sweet. Do not let up. Two short messages are worth more than one long winded sermon.
She is investigating a meld of SB93 and SB90 and said that might just be the best way to go. If the Senate can get a bill passed, it can then be moved to the Assembly and then on to the Governor.

btw, nobody robbed the place, nor caused any mayhem. Nobody was charged with disorderly conduct. You guys in Madison are living in the wrong place.

Trip20

It was a great event. Pam really impressed me with her poise, knowlegde on the issue, and her interest in listening to the viewpoints in the room.

As always, thank you phred for your effort in coordinating the meeting, answering questions with knowlegeable answers, and the time you take out of your life to further the cause.

Trip20

By signage do you mean posting no-carry signs on private propery? If so, signage is left up to the private property owner. I think it must be at least 8.5 x 11 (standard sheet of paper) in size. I don't believe there is a requirement as to the wording -- that is also left up to the property owner.

What is your pet peeve exactly?

Wolf1477

By signage do you mean posting no-carry signs on private propery? If so, signage is left up to the private property owner. I think it must be at least 8.5 x 11 (standard sheet of paper) in size. I don't believe there is a requirement as to the wording -- that is also left up to the property owner.

What is your pet peeve exactly?

Some states require a specific size/color (13 x 13/yellow, etc.) that is not something that can be mass mailed/faxed/copied. They also require certain verbage on the sign. If neither of those requirements is met the sign is not valid by law.

rcav8r

To expand on what Wolf said, look up Texas 30.06 signage. An oddball size like 12x12 or 13x13 is needed.

We need signage that is not 8.5 or 11" on any side. This is to avoid having any anti-gun groups from simply blast faxing all business a "no guns" sign. The fact that the bill call for blaze orange paper isn't good enough, cause most business these days have copy machines. All they'd have to do is get a piece of orange paper and copy the fax to it.

Second, the signs should be very specific. The universal "no" circle with a slash through it should be at least 10" in diameter (eliminates simply pasting a photocopy onto a larger sheet), have letters 1" high that says "NO FIREARMS", along with the number part of the law allowing for the sign under that in letters at least 1/2" high. Naturally, there must be picture of a gun under the red no circle.
Signs must be posted on each entry door of the business (not just main door. employee enterances, side doors, etc, must be posted). It cannot be posted to the side window or any other place. It cannot be be obscured in any way by other signage, lettering or decoration on the door, nor obscured by doorknobs, crash bars, pull/push handles, or any other door hardware.

Violating any of these makes the sign invalid.

Now if a business can meet all these requirements, and someone carries into the store, refuses to leave when asked, then they should only be guilty of the lowest possible misdemeanor ticket with a fine of not more than $25. :)

OH, and FWIW, I saw the anti's at the Madison hearing circulating blaze orange no-guns signs among themselves.

Trip20

To expand on what Wolf said, look up Texas 30.06 signage. An oddball size like 12x12 or 13x13 is needed.

We need signage that is not 8.5 or 11" on any side. This is to avoid having any anti-gun groups from simply blast faxing all business a "no guns" sign. The fact that the bill call for blaze orange paper isn't good enough, cause most business these days have copy machines. All they'd have to do is get a piece of orange paper and copy the fax to it.

Aaaahhh.... interesting. I hadn't thought about the anti-group mass mailing possibility. Definitely something that should be brought to Pam Galloway's attention. Phred -- get on it brutha!