• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Booted from PetSmart!

KBCraig

My wife worked for PetSmart for a couple of years. Out of curiosity, I checked her employee handbook to see what it said about guns.

Their policy for employees does not ban guns at all. It specifically says employees may not carry "illegal weapons".

All their stores are corporate-owned. They don't franchise.

usamarshal

Good stuff man!!!

My wife worked for PetSmart for a couple of years. Out of curiosity, I checked her employee handbook to see what it said about guns.

Their policy for employees does not ban guns at all. It specifically says employees may not carry "illegal weapons".

All their stores are corporate-owned. They don't franchise.

hardballer

First, My wife and I thank you all! Laurra is very upset by this as am I . I feel like I am in the company of patriots and family.

This is the letter I wrote and I am grateful for what you all have done as well. If just half of the near five hundred viewers of this thread write or call, that will send a message. If we stand together through this difficult time we will prevail...

"PetSmart,

Was shopping at PetSmart, Onalaska WI, Thursday evening with my wife. Spent just about an hour in the store, Looked at the birds, the fish, the lizards, the cats, the rats, toys etc. etc. filled the cart with cat food and other items. Just about got to the counter (cart full, done shopping) when your manager, Debbie Pientok walked up and informed us that PetSmart corporate policy is no guns. The stores are not signed, I looked. She said they don't put signs up and she didn't know why.*

She was polite at first. But after we told her we would no longer be shopping there, she became very aggressive and had a rather dismissive, arrogant attitude. Like we didn't matter to her or to corporate PetSmart. I was actually shocked because we had been in the store so many times before with no problem.* Spent money too. So do thousands of my friends. I know you've heard from some of them already.

She did not care that we would no longer patronize the store. She appeared not to care that others might not Patronize the store either. And she certainly did not care who heard our discussion. I told her that it is legal to open carry in Wisconsin. She did not think so.*

As my wife started to empty the cart, and told her that she; the manager, was taking our Constitutional Rights away by doing this, the manager softened her approach, did a 180 and wanted to make nice in her store; I assume, so there would not be any negative PR. Said it wasn't her but rather corporate and she sympathized with us and carried similar views as we do but she also saw corporate's view as well.

Your company is not respecting my right to self defense. I open carry my sidearm day in, day out. Where ever I go. In WI, concealed carry is illegal, so this is my only means of self defense. I will no longer shop at your store or buy from you until you rescind the policy.

While you, as a private property owner, have the right to exclude firearms, I as a private citizen, can choose to not spend my money in a criminal free fire zone. Just to be clear, I am sure you well know that criminals will disobey your policy. You do get that don't you? This makes your store “UNSAFE!” I will be sure to make note of this to whom ever I converse with in the future.

I know you do not provide security. You have no way to protect your customers in your store in the parking lot. There are enough examples; in this dangerous time, of abduction, assault and rape in parking lots of much more upscale stores than yours to warrant law abiding citizens to be able to defend themselves in your store and parking lot. Not to mention the litigation issues considering you stand against state law, virtually stripping your customer of the ability to defend themselves and leaving them open to attack by all manner of unsavory individuals.

I operate or admin. several blogs and will note your stance there and the many forums I write on as well. Best of all, I volunteer with an animal rescue that is linked to thousands of other animal rescues and I will be happy to let them know as well. Several hold the same views I do concerning the Constitution and our own personal safety. The money you loose will probably be just a drop in the bucket but folks are tired of being walked on. I will not just let this go.

As a law abiding individual, I carry my sidearm day in and day out. Every where I go it resides beside me and never once has it just jumped out on it's own to cause mayhem. Criminals carry guns, knives and what have you into your store on a daily basis, disobeying your store rule.

Plentiful evidence demonstrates that criminals prefer to attack where they know people are un-armed and won't be able to defend themselves effectively. I know this to be true because I've seen it but because I; a law abiding citizen, carry mine sidearm on my hip instead of under my thug shirt or down my pants, you display a prejudicial bias. If Wisconsin law does not prohibit their law abiding citizens from carrying a pistol for self-defense, the store should not either.

Consequently, I will no-longer buy from PetSmart, nor will many of my friends and acquaintances until you rescind the policy. Yes, yes, I know that you own the business, and I am sure you do well. Plenty of other customers. However, as private, law abiding citizen, I will decide with whom I do business based on how I am treated, where I will spend my hard earned dollars and I can tell you, it will not be in a store that tramples my basic Constitutional Rights. A gun free zone is nothing more than a shooting gallery for bad guys.

You want to engender some good will and positive PR, Join with the many other businesses across Wisconsin and simply follow state law concerning guns and open carry of same. Till then, I choose to tell all of my readers, friends... business and otherwise, acquaintances etc. of my embarrassing and demeaning experience with PetSmart and encourage them to spend their money elsewhere.

Please do tell me of any change in this myopic policy of yours so I can let everyone know that PetSmart is smart after all and will acknowledge our Constitutional Rights by following Wisconsin State Law. Until then, I shop elsewhere as do my friends.

Please send me a copy of your current policy & notify me when it is changed to reflect non-biased, Constitution friendly, self-defense. (And if it's copied from an employee manual, realize that it doesn't apply to customers, so you need to re-train your staff.)

Thank you:"

usamarshal

We shall rule the day to have access to overpriced kitty and doggy food!!! :lol:

j/k...I won't shop there unless they reverse there policy!!!

First, My wife and I thank you all! Laurra is very upset by this as am I . I feel like I am in the company of patriots and family.

This is the letter I wrote and I am grateful for what you all have done as well. If just half of the near five hundred viewers of this thread write or call, that will send a message. If we stand together through this difficult time we will prevail...

VW_Factor

Email sent, however I had to ask why I have never been bothered in a Pet Smart in my neck of the woods, however other stores were making a fuss.

Perhaps as mentioned, no one noticed.

hardballer

Email sent, however I had to ask why I have never been bothered in a Pet Smart in my neck of the woods, however other stores were making a fuss.

Perhaps as mentioned, no one noticed.
I agree. We've been in that store many times before. I volunteer for an animal rescue and have to purchase items on a fairly regular basis. Never once had a problem. Even spent several minutes signing up for their discount plan and got info on their grant and charitable giving program.

All while carrying a holstered sidearm.

Yesterday was out of the blue. Can't figure it.

ssmits

Sent email to Petsmart .I do not shop there or will i.I do all my pet shoping at Petco and have had no issues with OC.

gunguy2009

I have OC in the Green Bay store many times no issues..But Since I get ticked off when companies tell my friends they can't legally open carry , I will cease doing business with them until they change their policy. I will be contacting them too in the next few minutes.

+1. Carry Together, Fight Together, Stand Together.....

jskp229

Support from the west - email sent.

----------------------------
Customer Service,
We have been customers of yours for many years here in Colorado. I am also a firearms owner and a concealed / open carrier. I was just made aware that some friends in Wisconsin (where I used to live) were asked to leave one of your stores for legally carrying in your store while shopping. It was related by your local manager that this was your corporate policy.
I choose to carry to be able to defend myself and my family. Even in areas that are perceived safe, there are problems that can threaten our safety. That information comes directly from our local county sheriff who actively encourages law abiding citizens to be responsible and carry. Signs and policies don't stop those who will chose to commit crimes and your stores do not provide security to protect your customers from those individuals - that is my responsibility.
As a private business owner, you have the right to set your rules and policies. I, as a consumer also have the right to determine where I spend my money. I am rather surprised at your policy given your corporate location is in AZ and most of that state supports our rights as citizens. Please reconsider your policy and follow the lead of many businesses and choose to allow legal carrying per the laws in the state of your store locations.
Please let me know if you change your policies and then I can reconsider my patronage of your stores.
Thanks,

----------------------------

Last edited:

papa bear

sent an email . got to admit i haven't been in one in years , but i didn't tell them that. i do spend quite a bit with raising rabbits, chickens and horses. and the occasional steer.

i like tractor supply never had a problem there. they even let me put up some VCDL pamphlet. even had some customers say it was a good thing

MR Redenck

Petsmart sucks!
I have 3 labs and I will continue to take my 130 pound male in there as often as I can. Not to buy nothing, just so he can Pee on stuff! One time they had one of those training things set up in there, Cooter jumped in there with them and started humping on of the other dogs. BwaaHaHa.
BTW folks, dont buy the dog food on the ends of the isle if its close to the floor.
yall should also know that petsmarts prices are way too high. I stoped buying my dogs those bacon treats because a real package of bacon is cheaper. I fry them up a whole pack every couple of days and save money. " They like the idea as well".

hardballer

Petsmart sucks!
I have 3 labs and I will continue to take my 130 pound male in there as often as I can. Not to buy nothing, just so he can Pee on stuff! One time they had one of those training things set up in there, Cooter jumped in there with them and started humping on of the other dogs. BwaaHaHa.
BTW folks, dont buy the dog food on the ends of the isle if its close to the floor.
yall should also know that petsmarts prices are way too high. I stoped buying my dogs those bacon treats because a real package of bacon is cheaper. I fry them up a whole pack every couple of days and save money. " They like the idea as well".

Remember to save the bacon grease to lube your gun barrel... heheheh...

jrclen

I sent an email explaining what happened. I shop at the Madison store, but explained if their policy is to deny the legal right to carry, I will no longer do business with them. I asked for a response.

Archangel

Spell check misses this all the time, but the word you were looking for was "lose" not "loose" for future reference.

As in:

The money you lose will probably be just a drop in the bucket but folks are tired of being walked on.

Not trying to be a grammar nazi, but when sending letters to corporate offices it's a good idea to have somebody proofread them first. I am as guilty as the next person for this.

The gist of the letter is great, and I wholeheartedly concur.

This must be a franchise issue, cause in GA I carry in PetSmart all the time, never even gotten a second glance. But carry is much more prevalent here.

M

McX

I agree. We've been in that store many times before. I volunteer for an animal rescue and have to purchase items on a fairly regular basis. Never once had a problem. Even spent several minutes signing up for their discount plan and got info on their grant and charitable giving program.

All while carrying a holstered sidearm.

Yesterday was out of the blue. Can't figure it.

your gun didnt match your shoes!

NewZealandAmerican

Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb

Amen!!!

hardballer

I am grateful to all of you for stepping up. Our solidarity on this issue is the key to winning. Hopefully, WCI will wade in as well. The best part about this is that we are not just a few guys in Wisconsin, we are all over this land. Courageous individuals who stand up for what they believe in! Supporting our words with action makes us strong.

MadisonRebel

Campaign Veteran
I received the same treatment from the PetSmart on the west side of Madison. Sorry to hear you got the same.

I shop at Pet Supermarket or Animart ever since. No issues.