• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Train story

the_hustleman

So I'm on the train on my way to work. I have my ipod on, and some young guy says to his friend "when the door opens, I'm going to take that ipod and run out, meet me at the 39" He gets up, stands by the door.

He didn't know I heard that. I played like I casually lifted my shirt to tighten my belt letting him get a full view of my gun. Then I looked him dead in his eye and he say back down.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk!

PavePusher

So I'm on the train on my way to work. I have my ipod on, and some young guy says to his friend "when the door opens, I'm going to take that ipod and run out, meet me at the 39" He gets up, stands by the door.

He didn't know I heard that. I played like I casually lifted my shirt to tighten my belt letting him get a full view of my gun. Then I looked him dead in his eye and he say back down.

It's amazing, some of the things you hear when people think you have the sound turned up.... Sometimes I like to just listen to folks with the volume on mute. Sheer entertainment, I tell you.

MR Redenck

I have a friend in the Dallas area that does the same thing. " We dont have open carry like yall do in Atlanta though".
He is a older guy and told me stories how the scum will target older people in parking lots.
One story that I really liked was the one where he "accidentally" failed to conceal as he was helping his wife get in the car and loading their groceries in the trunk.
He noticed some piece of scum zig zagging through the parked cars heading his direction. At that time he "accidentally" failed to conceal and the piece of scum decided to go another direction.
I love it! Im just glad that some people have enough sence to be aware of what's going on around them. Concealing doesnt deter crime one bit. Citizens being openly armed present a challenge to criminals. " Is it worth getting shot in the chest with .45acp over a bag of groceries, well is it punk!? BwaaaHahAha:uhoh:

ET.

In Georgia we do not have brandishing laws that cover concealed carry weapons being exposed like some states have. I just have to wonder what would be the outcome of a situation like this if a LEO happens along just when a concerned citizen is flashing his gun to stop a perceived threat. If all he saw was an armed citizen flashing his gun, there might be an unforseen outcome that ends up with a court date for the citizen who thought that he was being prudent by giving the potential perp a glimse of his gun. :uhoh: Just saying...

...Oh, and I'm not going to get drawn into the old "concealed carry does more harm than good to impeding crime & to our right to bear arms. I'd rather not bare my arms while I'm bearing arms.

DocWalker

Don't think the concerned citizen is waving it in the air...

In Georgia we do not have brandishing laws that cover concealed carry weapons being exposed like some states have. I just have to wonder what would be the outcome of a situation like this if a LEO happens along just when a concerned citizen is flashing his gun to stop a perceived threat. If all he saw was an armed citizen flashing his gun, there might be an unforseen outcome that ends up with a court date for the citizen who thought that he was being prudent by giving the potential perp a glimse of his gun. :uhoh: Just saying...

...Oh, and I'm not going to get drawn into the old "concealed carry does more harm than good to impeding crime & to our right to bear arms. I'd rather not bare my arms while I'm bearing arms.

I don't think a concerned citizen showing his weapon in its holster should be considered brandishing; do you brandish your shoes? But I do think open carry works. Yesterday we had a gentleman kidnapped and robbed at knife point while getting gas in Boise Idaho. A place I often fuel up at and usally while OCing. Do you thing the guy would have pulled a knife and tried to rob and kidnapp me if he notice my gun? I also conceal carry at times and it might have been a different outcome if he threatend me with a knife not knowing I had either my Tauras 24/7 or 45 ACP Tauras Millenium under my jacket. With the OCing it might not even get to me asking "why did you bring a knife to this gun fight"?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

this story has to be a lie. We all know that people who's guns are visible get attacked first.

You know, because criminals are cowards looking for a soft target, naturally they select the hardest target in the room. Happens all the time, let me get you a cite.... Oh wait, it's never happened because it makes no sense. Sorry, can't find even one citation to uphold my absurd agenda-driven perspective. I'm going to join the NRA now... They support my absurd and baseless position.

Brimstone Baritone

this story has to be a lie. We all know that people who's guns are visible get attacked first.

You know, because criminals are cowards looking for a soft target, naturally they select the hardest target in the room. Happens all the time, let me get you a cite.... Oh wait, it's never happened because it makes no sense. Sorry, can't find even one citation to uphold my absurd agenda-driven perspective. I'm going to join the NRA now... They support my absurd and baseless position.

I needed that. Thanks for the laugh!

Packer fan

I think of OC as a rattle snake. Are there people who mess with a rattle snake; yes, but most will stay away.

Are there people who will mess with an OCer; yes, but they would have targeted you anyway.

In Arkansas I could be charged with a felony if the criminal would have called and reported my gun showing.

There is a time and place to OC or CC but most of the time I would like to OC.

I have to ask this; why didn't you just let him have it? Nothing is worth scaring the poop out of the two guys. They were probably just nice boys and aspiring athletes who wanted to be in the.... They just fell into the wrong crowd because they are poor and the government doesn't give them their right to have.... I think they were the victims in this case not the law abiding citizen who was just protecting his hard earned property. YOU SIR SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOUR SELF!

rmodel65

Tho, one could argue that a DtP or GaTTToTP charge might get more traction.

Dtp? i know what GATTTOTP is thats for NC not ga..

http://georgiapacking.org/caselaw/nunnvstate.htm

"The state of Georgia may not violate the right to openly carry a "breast pistol" in the hand, which is protected by the Second Amendment. In dicta, the court stated that Georgia could regulate or prohibit concealed carry without infringing on the Second Amendment. No state constitutional right to bear arms in 1846.
The court clarified the scope of the right protected as follows:
"The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, and not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree; and all of this for the important end to be attained: the rearing up and qualifying a well-regulated militia, so vitally necessary to the security of a free State."

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
While the story reads well and satisfies the manly desire to see thieves put in their place, there has to be a better way than showing a gun to however many people are on the train.

Hindsight is easy, but I'm wondering if just simply announcing, "You'd be surprised what you can hear through these ear buds", while staring coldly, and putting the Ipod and hearing rig in a pocket, would accomplish the same with less drama.

Of course, maybe now they're rethinking their career as Ipod thieves because of the drama. Now, they gotta wonder if their next victim might have a gun, too.

For myself, I'd tend to save the gun display for a more threatening scenario.

Last edited: