Thread: Question about type of holster for open carry.

Question about type of holster for open carry.

Hi, I'm from fla. First time open carry in ga. Would like to know if there are any requirements on the type of holster you can carry with. Does it have to be some sort of locking holster like the police carry, or are people in ga walking around with old western holsters and peacemakers. Lol. Would like to know before I show. Thanks

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
    Hi, I'm from fla. First time open carry in ga. Would like to know if there are any requirements on the type of holster you can carry with. Does it have to be some sort of locking holster like the police carry, or are people in ga walking around with old western holsters and peacemakers. Lol. Would like to know before I show. Thanks
    No requirements - personal choice, though many prefer some type of retention.

Don't own any old western holsters - all of mine are new.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Thanks just didn't want to get in trouble for something silly like not the proper holster.

If you're shopping for a holster, I'll add that I'm very happy with my Safariland Model 6378 ALS (Automatic Locking System) belt holster.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/p....aspx?pid=6378

I prefer a level II holster...I use blackhawk...basically the same type of holster an officer would use...some officers even use level III, but level II is fine.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SER...,1144,1410.htm

On some forums I've read where officers think that anyone that OC's is stupid because anyone could just come up on them and unholster there weapon...I think its funny because the average civilian that OC's probably knows more about holster security levels than they do...I've seen plenty of officers with level I duty holsters...does that mean there stupid too? Of course not...its all about comfort and how secure you want to be with your firearm.

I understand your concern. My state recently failed to pass an OC law and one of the "concerns" by the antis was about holsters and that they wanted to amend the proposed law to require anyone OCing to have some type of active retention holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    I understand your concern. My state recently failed to pass an OC law and one of the "concerns" by the antis was about holsters and that they wanted to amend the proposed law to require anyone OCing to have some type of active retention holster.
    Have your state legislator's assistants start searching for incidents where a legal, honest citizen (non-LEO or security) has had the need for active retention. Give them all the way until the next legislative session. They are going to come up with a very empty basket.

They have a solution to which they are trying to find a non-existent problem. Don't get me wrong - I believe in retention holsters. They provide an extra measure of comfort much like the "emergency" brake on my vehicle. Never needed that in an emergency either - guess that why they changed the descriptive name to "parking brake."
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Here's an interesting and detailed article by the Police Policies Studies Council concerning the various types of duty holsters.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Shoulder holsters?

(Montana) Does a shoulder holster worn on the outside of your clothing meet the open carry standards?

Welcome aboard - the more the merrier!

Presume your question has more to do with generic than legal, but I know of no Montana law that would address a shoulder rig negatively.

Simply put if it can be seen, is plainly observable, and properly holstered it meets the standards of open carry as defined by this site.

Shoulder rigs may bring heightened awareness by the public, but IMO should not be cause to not carry in that fashion.

Some good basic guidance can be found in the OCDO interactive maps.
    http://www.opencarry.org/maps.html

PS - the question would be better asked in the Montana sub-forum.

I have 3 different holsters, only one of which is suitable for CC, that is a shoulder holster. The other two holsters are leather full coverage hunting holsters, one for my Colt, the other for my CZ's.

I am really big on covered protection of the weapon and retention, not because of concern from the bad guy, but because I like to ride horses in the back country and I don't want my pistols damaged inadvertently.

If I was shopping for a OC holster that was going to be mostly worn in a car or walking down a street, I would look carefully at what the LE community uses. The article the (link in earlier post) by the PPC was a good one.

I feel sorry for the guys in TX, it's hot down there and they have to keep covered...Ugh.

I use this: http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/p....aspx?pid=6377 with the QLS system so I can take the holster off and on without having to remove the gun which is perfect for driving.

No matter what holster you choose, make sure you train with that holster! Print out the carry laws that apply and take them with you.

Tips on 2 locations.

Columbus: Watch the local LEOs there. They love to play the "know it all" game even if you have the law printed and in front of them.
    Atlanta: Watch your 6 there, it's easy to run into a bad element even in the better parts of town.

Smyrna: Drop into the Glock facility and say hello. They are great folks. (no, I'm not trying to convert anyone)

General purpose: Blackhawk Serpa Level II. Shoulder (concealed): Bianchi Tuxedo model vertical clamshell. Field: Any good military flapped holster for the model of pistol carried.