• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about type of holster for open carry.

Dukester

Hi, I'm from fla. First time open carry in ga. Would like to know if there are any requirements on the type of holster you can carry with. Does it have to be some sort of locking holster like the police carry, or are people in ga walking around with old western holsters and peacemakers. Lol. Would like to know before I show. Thanks

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hi, I'm from fla. First time open carry in ga. Would like to know if there are any requirements on the type of holster you can carry with. Does it have to be some sort of locking holster like the police carry, or are people in ga walking around with old western holsters and peacemakers. Lol. Would like to know before I show. Thanks

No requirements - personal choice, though many prefer some type of retention.

Don't own any old western holsters - all of mine are new.

usamarshal

I prefer a level II holster...I use blackhawk...basically the same type of holster an officer would use...some officers even use level III, but level II is fine.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SERPA-CQC-wCarbon-Fiber-Finish,1144,1410.htm

On some forums I've read where officers think that anyone that OC's is stupid because anyone could just come up on them and unholster there weapon...I think its funny because the average civilian that OC's probably knows more about holster security levels than they do...I've seen plenty of officers with level I duty holsters...does that mean there stupid too? Of course not...its all about comfort and how secure you want to be with your firearm.

Aknazer

I understand your concern. My state recently failed to pass an OC law and one of the "concerns" by the antis was about holsters and that they wanted to amend the proposed law to require anyone OCing to have some type of active retention holster.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I understand your concern. My state recently failed to pass an OC law and one of the "concerns" by the antis was about holsters and that they wanted to amend the proposed law to require anyone OCing to have some type of active retention holster.

Have your state legislator's assistants start searching for incidents where a legal, honest citizen (non-LEO or security) has had the need for active retention. Give them all the way until the next legislative session. They are going to come up with a very empty basket.

They have a solution to which they are trying to find a non-existent problem. Don't get me wrong - I believe in retention holsters. They provide an extra measure of comfort much like the "emergency" brake on my vehicle. Never needed that in an emergency either - guess that why they changed the descriptive name to "parking brake." :D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome aboard - the more the merrier!

Presume your question has more to do with generic than legal, but I know of no Montana law that would address a shoulder rig negatively.

Simply put if it can be seen, is plainly observable, and properly holstered it meets the standards of open carry as defined by this site.

Shoulder rigs may bring heightened awareness by the public, but IMO should not be cause to not carry in that fashion.

Some good basic guidance can be found in the OCDO interactive maps.
http://www.opencarry.org/maps.html

PS - the question would be better asked in the Montana sub-forum.

hermannr

I have 3 different holsters, only one of which is suitable for CC, that is a shoulder holster. The other two holsters are leather full coverage hunting holsters, one for my Colt, the other for my CZ's.

I am really big on covered protection of the weapon and retention, not because of concern from the bad guy, but because I like to ride horses in the back country and I don't want my pistols damaged inadvertently.

If I was shopping for a OC holster that was going to be mostly worn in a car or walking down a street, I would look carefully at what the LE community uses. The article the (link in earlier post) by the PPC was a good one.

I feel sorry for the guys in TX, it's hot down there and they have to keep covered...Ugh.

REALteach4u

No matter what holster you choose, make sure you train with that holster! Print out the carry laws that apply and take them with you.

Tips on 2 locations.

Columbus: Watch the local LEOs there. They love to play the "know it all" game even if you have the law printed and in front of them.
Atlanta: Watch your 6 there, it's easy to run into a bad element even in the better parts of town.

Smyrna: Drop into the Glock facility and say hello. They are great folks. (no, I'm not trying to convert anyone)

Sonora Rebel

General purpose: Blackhawk Serpa Level II. Shoulder (concealed): Bianchi Tuxedo model vertical clamshell. Field: Any good military flapped holster for the model of pistol carried.