• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jewell calls for Graziano to step down as Council President

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
http://www.nbc12.com/story/14638040/jewell-calls-for-graziano-to-step-down-as-council-president

Fireworks at Richmond City Hall. Councilman Marty Jewell is demanding Council President Kathy Graziano resign. He's also implicating the Commonwealth's Attorney in a political conspiracy.

This is the same woman who humiliated VCDL members when they protested MIAG membership by the city mayor and subtly flipped Grapeshot the bird when he was speaking. I have a picture of her doing that somewhere.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The Richmond city administration from the mayors office to Graziano, the city council president, have regularly expressed their disdain for the laws of the state and decorum in office. Their position on the right to self-defense, guns and particularly OC could not be more clear - we don't like it, we will make it difficult for you at every turn, we will insult you and if necessary ignore you.

Peter referred earlier to Graziano giving me the finger as I spoke before council - that picture was captured and saved. The mayors office was supposed to straighten out the requirement that we sign in to attend open meetings - only OCers were so required. Even after repeated follow ups, the mayor's office has not given me the courtesy of an answer. Uniformed security tells me that policy has not changed.

Does it surprise me that there are allegations of impropriety from these persons? - not at all. Seems to be business as usual.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The Richmond city administration from the mayors office to Graziano, the city council president, have regularly expressed their disdain for the laws of the state and decorum in office. Their position on the right to self-defense, guns and particularly OC could not be more clear - we don't like it, we will make it difficult for you at every turn, we will insult you and if necessary ignore you.

Peter referred earlier to Graziano giving me the finger as I spoke before council - that picture was captured and saved. The mayors office was supposed to straighten out the requirement that we sign in to attend open meetings - only OCers were so required. Even after repeated follow ups, the mayor's office has not given me the courtesy of an answer. Uniformed security tells me that policy has not changed.

Does it surprise me that there are allegations of impropriety from these persons? - not at all. Seems to be business as usual.

This is the picture:
http://news.oldva.org/?p=1278
ccwicked.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You beat me to it Peter.

Took me a while even using the "express search" function.

riverrat10k

Mrs. Graziano has about out-lived her usefullness on council. She is my rep. Lost a lot of respect for her when city council railroaded the stormwater utility through. Lost the rest when we were treated with such disrespect at the city council meeting.

Guess it tis time to start walking the dog past her home and office again (while OC'ing.)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
VCDL has held seminars with Fairfax County PD regarding legality of open carry and how officers should respond. There is similar in the works with Henrico.

Wonder if Graziano would support such quality education for Richmond PD and other appropriate staff, maybe even city council.

The Wolfhound

Ya know, that is NOT something I need to wonder about

I consider it a virtual certainty that she would be opposed. Why, THOSE PEOPLE might encourage folks to carry GUNS with such learnings! Heaven forfend!

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I consider it a virtual certainty that she would be opposed. Why, THOSE PEOPLE might encourage folks to carry GUNS with such learnings! Heaven forfend!

Ya I know. Just couldn't find an adequate sarcastic emoticon.
sarcy.gif

We will, I am certain, find a good reason to go to city council meeting sometime soon to reopen the question of "signing in" for what is an "open meeting." To do so abrogates our right to free attend a public meeting. In the past, it has been very apparent that all persons were NOT required to sign in before attending council sessions.

Virginia FOIA gives the public the right to attend the meetings of public bodies, with exceptions for closed sessions discussed below. Virginia law does not limit access to meetings to a specific category of people or a profession, such as "the traditional press." Anyone may attend. The right to attend meetings does not include the right to participate or comment.
http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/virginia/open-meetings-laws-virgina

SicSemperTyrannis

Ya I know. Just couldn't find an adequate sarcastic emoticon.
sarcy.gif

We will, I am certain, find a good reason to go to city council meeting sometime soon to reopen the question of "signing in" for what is an "open meeting." To do so abrogates our right to free attend a public meeting. In the past, it has been very apparent that all persons were NOT required to sign in before attending council sessions.

Virginia FOIA gives the public the right to attend the meetings of public bodies, with exceptions for closed sessions discussed below. Virginia law does not limit access to meetings to a specific category of people or a profession, such as "the traditional press." Anyone may attend. The right to attend meetings does not include the right to participate or comment.
http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/virginia/open-meetings-laws-virgina

I was at that meeting and was never made to sign in. My understanding was that ultimately no one had to sign in at that meeting after the issue was brought up.... am I wrong? That guard recognized me from where I work and said "I know him, he's cool" when someone asked me to sign in and I turned and said I wasn't going to sign in and kept walking with no problem. It sounds like your calls were never returned which is rude and I wouldn't put it past them to ask folks to sign in again next time but it seems like they understand they can't actually make anyone sign in

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I was at that meeting and was never made to sign in. My understanding was that ultimately no one had to sign in at that meeting after the issue was brought up.... am I wrong? That guard recognized me from where I work and said "I know him, he's cool" when someone asked me to sign in and I turned and said I wasn't going to sign in and kept walking with no problem. It sounds like your calls were never returned which is rude and I wouldn't put it past them to ask folks to sign in again next time but it seems like they understand they can't actually make anyone sign in

They were being selective about it if memory serves me.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

I was threatened with arrest if I did not comply.

Chose to follow the administrative route to clear up the problem after the fact. Unfortunately, they chose to ignore me and my repeat contacts. That is not likely to happen again.

johnfenter

Weapons exist for this situation....

If you are being asked to sign in, that means they are keeping records containing personal info on attendees. Reference VA CODE 2.2-3800 et seq, there are NUMEROUS requirements they have to meet in order to maintain such records. Use FOIA to request copies of the processes, procedures, statutory authority established to collect the info, etc. $20 says they have NOT been meeting requirements in state law....

BTW, that's the tool I used to make Portsmouth stop forcing attendees to sign in. Worked like a champ.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If you are being asked to sign in, that means they are keeping records containing personal info on attendees. Reference VA CODE 2.2-3800 et seq, there are NUMEROUS requirements they have to meet in order to maintain such records. Use FOIA to request copies of the processes, procedures, statutory authority established to collect the info, etc. $20 says they have NOT been meeting requirements in state law....

BTW, that's the tool I used to make Portsmouth stop forcing attendees to sign in. Worked like a champ.

Appreciate it John - have bookmarked that reference.

Anticipate following through on this in the near future. Perhaps we can talk some more on this then.

TFred

By the way, FOIA considerations aside, it would sure seem to me that if a locality requires you to sign in only if you are carrying a gun, that would be a clear violation of 15.2-915, since what they are in fact doing is declaring a local policy of: "you may not carry a gun if you wish to attend this meeting anonymously"...

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Another thread had me browsing through the Style Weekly website... ran across this, published two days ago:

While the City Council sex scandal festers, where is the ethical leadership from Kathy Graziano?

There are too many unbelievable bits to pick just one or two to post.

TFred

I do not always agree with Style Weekly or particularly like their style.

In this case, I make an exception and would only suggest that they hit it harder and repeatedly.

By the way, FOIA considerations aside, it would sure seem to me that if a locality requires you to sign in only if you are carrying a gun, that would be a clear violation of 15.2-915, since what they are in fact doing is declaring a local policy of: "you may not carry a gun if you wish to attend this meeting anonymously"...

TFred

Still applied inconsistently and any application of "signing in" removes the protection from harassment.

JoeSparky

Centurion
One option to the "sign in here" if they are not checking IDs is to arrange to all use the same name.... something like "U. R. Unlawful" or "R.U. Kidding"

Last edited: