• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at a School function in MS

since9

Campaign Veteran
If you cared to could you go after them for discrimination?

Unfortunately, no. "Discrimination" is limited to the few things specifically stated in the law, such as race, religion, gender, nationality, etc.

If they don't like the length of your hair or whether or not you OC, however, they can refuse to renew your lease and get away with it.

Don Barnett

State Law Applies

I OC'd at my granddaughter's Elementary School "Spirit" Night at a local restaurant; the place was teeming with kids. There was nothing said and no problems.

Of course, I live in Virginia.

jerry12

Never know

It doesn't matter what your school's handbook says, it matters what the actual laws say. A school can say whatever it wants, but if the laws of the state say something different then that's what matters as the school can't take you to court.

Also it's rarely about the "need" to carry. Up until something happens you don't "need" to carry, but you never know when that something will happen. Which is why I personally carry around my house even though the doors are often locked and it's in a good part of town.

Now if the place is restricted that's a different story, but there's no reason not to carry so long as it's legal and you aren't doing something like getting completely plastered.

You are right on in saying that you never know when some thing will happen. This week here in Kinston , North Carolina four Federal Marshal went to a house to serve papers and arrest a suspect for murder. The people in the house open fire and shot through the door killing one of the Federal Marshals . The marshal was wearing a bullet proof vest and hit in the chest but the vest didn't stop the bullet that killed him. :(

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I OC'd at my granddaughter's Elementary School "Spirit" Night at a local restaurant; the place was teeming with kids. There was nothing said and no problems.

Of course, I live in Virginia.

As long as the restaurant was not closed off for this special designated school event, you were fine. If it was, you were breaking the law.

Last edited:

Daylen

A bowling alley is not a school. GFSZA doesn't apply.

And, a state concealed carry license is required to OC in MS, because they consider it "concealed" if any part of the gun is covered (like by a holster).

Please don't read and parrot the incorrect information from this website it is widespread hearsay and is detrimental to MS. The constitution of MS is very clear that a permit is not required to OC in MS. Most of us recommend having a permit first, to cover ones rear with in case one comes across a LEO who is highly uninformed, to avoid a possible false arrest.

Daylen

Shouldn't this thread be in the Mississippi section since it is highly dependent on MS law and is specific to that state?

KBCraig

Please don't read and parrot the incorrect information from this website it is widespread hearsay and is detrimental to MS. The constitution of MS is very clear that a permit is not required to OC in MS. Most of us recommend having a permit first, to cover ones rear with in case one comes across a LEO who is highly uninformed, to avoid a possible false arrest.

The case law in MS is very clear that any handgun concealed "in whole or in part" is concealed, and a concealed handgun requires a permit to carry concealed.

It's not my state, but I've paid attention. Feel free to rebut my claim, but the OC community consensus is that MS case law requires a CC permit to carry at all, even openly.

Last edited:

Daylen

The case law in MS is very clear that any handgun concealed "in whole or in part" is concealed, and a concealed handgun requires a permit to carry concealed.

It's not my state, but I've paid attention. Feel free to rebut my claim, but the OC community consensus is that MS case law requires a CC permit to carry at all, even openly.

That is a common misunderstanding by people who do not read past the surface on an issue. The MS Constitution is very clear on the subject, OC can not be regulated and can not be pulled into CC as you suggest. The only court case involving the erroneous suggestion that all OC is actually CC, false but using that evil deceitful Orwellian logic, was one before the MS supreme court where one judge agreed with the majority but wrote his own statement with this Orwellian drivel in it. He claimed precedent was on his side but did not cite any cases, nor have anyone found cases since. And the case before the court did involve an unconcealed weapon, the judge was trying to reach beyond the case to create law were none existed.

Last edited: