Thread: MSP to allow firearms in posts, sort of.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

MSP to allow firearms in posts, sort of.

Received this from MSP today. I again asked what authority they have to restrict firearms in "Restricted" area. I also suggest he inform all his post commanders that firearms are allowed in at least the lobby areas of posts.

Mr. Jeffs:

The Michigan Department of State Police is currently undergoing a major restructuring. One component of this restructuring is standardizing all signs at each of our work sites. Over the next several months, standardized signs will begin to appear on MSP work sites regarding weapons.

The new signs will read: "Weapons Prohibited in Restricted Areas"

Restricted areas of work sites are those that are not open to the public.

Sincerely,

Inspector Greg Zarotney
    Michigan State Police
    Office of the Director
    333 South Grand
    Lansing, MI 48933
    (517) 241-0914
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    excellent!
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

I imagine that LEO's are exempt... which begs the question "Why have the signs?" If the area is not open to the public, who else would be there other than LEOs... who are probably exempt. It appears to be yet another attempt to discourage/prohibit the legal carry of firearms by placing confusing/pointless signs at entrances.
    Last edited by DrTodd; 05-13-2011 at 05:59 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Good job Ven..... once again those terrible OC'ers who refuse to be "reasonable", "sensible", and only open carry where they are told it is "appropriate" have managed to get gun rights recognized even more than before....

Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Good job Ven..... once again those terrible OC'ers who refuse to be "reasonable", "sensible", and only open carry where they are told it is "appropriate" have managed to get gun rights recognized even more than before....

That post looks strangely familiar...

Great Job Ven!
    Last edited by PDinDetroit; 05-13-2011 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    I imagine that LEO's are exempt... which begs the question "Why have the signs?" If the area is not open to the public, who else would be there other than LEOs... who are probably exempt. It appears to be yet another attempt to prohibit the legal carry of firearms by placing confusing/pointless signs at entrances.
    Why the sign? As a simple reminder to someone CCing I suppose. Someone OCing just won't be allowed to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    That post looks strangely familiar...

Great Job Ven!
    ---------> snicker!!! giggle!!! chortle!!! guffaw!!! <------------

Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 7th District View Post
    Why the sign? As a simple reminder to someone CCing I suppose. Someone OCing just won't be allowed to enter.
    Good question. They could ask anyone entering the restricted area if they are armed and go from there, no real need for a sign except to discourage CC and OC entirely, which I think is their intent. I will be suggesting they post the sign on the door to the restricted area and not on the front outside door.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Banned
    Yes, that would be more appropriate.

Whatever happened to simplicity. ---> "No firearms past this point".

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to just stick with the law? Any and all restrictions with regards to firearms in police stations must involve intent to either supply a firearm to an inmate, or to use it on an inmate, or to be in possession as an inmate yourself. The "secure areas" myth has been floating around far too long. As long as you have no intent to commit a crime, you can carry anywhere you are legally allowed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by kubel View Post
    The "secure areas" myth has been floating around far too long. As long as you have no intent to commit a crime, you can carry anywhere you are legally allowed to be.
    MCL 791.262: "The [State of Michigan Corrections] department shall promulgate rules and standards promoting the proper, efficient, and humane administration of jails and lockups that are under the jurisdiction of the county sheriff . . ."
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...me=mcl-791-262

Michigan Corrections Department Administrative Rules for Jails and Lockups, R 791.707: "Except in emergency situations, firearms and impact weapons are permitted only in designated areas within the secured confines of the facility."
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/co...s_293527_7.pdf

There are secure areas of jails. State law confers sufficiently broad authority to the DOC to define them and regulate firearms within them. "Intent" is not mentioned in the DOC's jail firearms rules. You may be prosecuted for breaking DOC jail rules. Ignore these "myths" at your own legal peril.
    Last edited by DanM; 05-17-2011 at 01:43 PM.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi