Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Are assemblymen and aldermen allowed to carry concealed in WI?

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran Running Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Corner of No and Where
    Posts
    431

    Are assemblymen and aldermen allowed to carry concealed in WI?

    Does anyone know if assemblymen and aldermen are allowed to carry concealed? If so what training requirement do they have to meet? Same for judges; what kind of training are they required to complete, if any?

    I ask because one of the assembly members at the AB126 bill yesterday, I think it was Turner, mentioned a few times that he carries, although he might have been referring to when he was an alderman. And it also seemed he was pretty gung-ho about mandated training. And I think he might consider himself a hunter . . .
    When rights are outlawed only outlaws will have rights.

    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

    No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people. - Catherine Engelbrecht

  2. #2
    Regular Member HandyHamlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Terra, Sol
    Posts
    2,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Wolf View Post
    And I think he might consider himself a hunter . . .
    Since the age of 12?

    I can't believe his Jedi mind trick worked.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

    "Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

  3. #3
    Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Wolf View Post
    Does anyone know if assemblymen and aldermen are allowed to carry concealed? If so what training requirement do they have to meet? Same for judges; what kind of training are they required to complete, if any?

    I ask because one of the assembly members at the AB126 bill yesterday, I think it was Turner, mentioned a few times that he carries, although he might have been referring to when he was an alderman. And it also seemed he was pretty gung-ho about mandated training. And I think he might consider himself a hunter . . .
    According to the letter of the "law", Only certified LEO may carry concealed in WI. The alderman may Open Carry or may carry outside of WI with a non-resident permit.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    286
    I don't know if it's still that way in my town. But 20 years ago our aldermen were deputized and hence allowed to carry concealed.

    JJC

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran Running Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Corner of No and Where
    Posts
    431
    941.23 states "Any person except a peace officer who goes armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor." Notice it refers to "peace officers" as opposed to LEO or "police officers."

    939.22(22) states ""Peace officer" means any person vested by law with a duty to maintain public order or to make arrests for crime, whether that duty extends to all crimes or is limited to specific crimes. "Peace officer" includes a commission warden."

    Does this include judges and retired judges?

    Does anyone else recall somebody on the board yesterday mentioning that they carry? I don't remember specifically who said it, but I do remember thinking "must be nice to be so special."
    When rights are outlawed only outlaws will have rights.

    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

    No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people. - Catherine Engelbrecht

  6. #6
    Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Wolf View Post
    941.23 states "Any person except a peace officer who goes armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor." Notice it refers to "peace officers" as opposed to LEO or "police officers."

    939.22(22) states ""Peace officer" means any person vested by law with a duty to maintain public order or to make arrests for crime, whether that duty extends to all crimes or is limited to specific crimes. "Peace officer" includes a commission warden."

    Does this include judges and retired judges?
    Since a Judge is not automatically "vested by law with a duty" to maintain public order or to make arrests, it looks like No. Just because you are able to make an arrest as a citizen does not mean you have a duty to do so. A Police Officer, Deputy, Marshal, Warden, etc is vested by law with a duty to maintain order and make arrests.

    Read this section through as it mentions powers of arrest.... http://legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/Stat0175.pdf

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,169

    Here's One Man's Opinion

    Judges are not peace officers authorized to carry concealed weapons. 69 Atty. Gen. 66.

  8. #8
    Regular Member BrewTownBagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wauwatosa
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    Since the age of 12?

    I can't believe his Jedi mind trick worked.
    too damn funny.... Did you know he was in Vietnam?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •