• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are assemblymen and aldermen allowed to carry concealed in WI?

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
Does anyone know if assemblymen and aldermen are allowed to carry concealed? If so what training requirement do they have to meet? Same for judges; what kind of training are they required to complete, if any?

I ask because one of the assembly members at the AB126 bill yesterday, I think it was Turner, mentioned a few times that he carries, although he might have been referring to when he was an alderman. And it also seemed he was pretty gung-ho about mandated training. And I think he might consider himself a hunter . . .

Interceptor_Knight

Does anyone know if assemblymen and aldermen are allowed to carry concealed? If so what training requirement do they have to meet? Same for judges; what kind of training are they required to complete, if any?

I ask because one of the assembly members at the AB126 bill yesterday, I think it was Turner, mentioned a few times that he carries, although he might have been referring to when he was an alderman. And it also seemed he was pretty gung-ho about mandated training. And I think he might consider himself a hunter . . .

According to the letter of the "law", Only certified LEO may carry concealed in WI. The alderman may Open Carry or may carry outside of WI with a non-resident permit.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
941.23 states "Any person except a peace officer who goes armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor." Notice it refers to "peace officers" as opposed to LEO or "police officers."

939.22(22) states ""Peace officer" means any person vested by law with a duty to maintain public order or to make arrests for crime, whether that duty extends to all crimes or is limited to specific crimes. "Peace officer" includes a commission warden."

Does this include judges and retired judges?

Does anyone else recall somebody on the board yesterday mentioning that they carry? I don't remember specifically who said it, but I do remember thinking "must be nice to be so special."

Interceptor_Knight

941.23 states "Any person except a peace officer who goes armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor." Notice it refers to "peace officers" as opposed to LEO or "police officers."

939.22(22) states ""Peace officer" means any person vested by law with a duty to maintain public order or to make arrests for crime, whether that duty extends to all crimes or is limited to specific crimes. "Peace officer" includes a commission warden."

Does this include judges and retired judges?
Since a Judge is not automatically "vested by law with a duty" to maintain public order or to make arrests, it looks like No. Just because you are able to make an arrest as a citizen does not mean you have a duty to do so. A Police Officer, Deputy, Marshal, Warden, etc is vested by law with a duty to maintain order and make arrests.

Read this section through as it mentions powers of arrest.... http://legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/Stat0175.pdf

apjonas

Here's One Man's Opinion

Judges are not peace officers authorized to carry concealed weapons. 69 Atty. Gen. 66.