• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Hospital Association Wants Mandatory Training

scm54449

Opt-Out Members
"Also testifying this week was Dr. Stew Watson, CEO Ministry Medical Group and a physician of emergency medicine at Ministry St. Clare’s Hospital. In his comments, Dr. Watson also supported the ability of a hospital to post their facilities and prohibit the carrying of concealed weapons and the ability of an employer to restrict concealed carry and asked that the legislation retain both provisions.

WHA raised a concern about the bills lacking any language related to training requirements and the ability to obtain a license for carrying a concealed weapon. In his comments, Merline agreed with others who testified that extensive training is employed for law enforcement use of weapons for those who use and grow accustomed to their weapons as everyday occupational tools.

"The ability to become licensed to carry a concealed weapon capable of deadly force brings with it the expectation and the responsibility of the licensee to have a basic knowledge of safety and the capabilities of that weapon," Merline said. "As such, some level of mandatory training should be required for potential concealed weapon licensees who will very likely not achieve the same level of familiarity as someone professionally accustomed to their weapon."

The licensing versions of the concealed carry proposals, AB 126 and SB 90, have strong legislative support. Committee votes are expected in the next few weeks."

You can read the entire story at: http://www.wha.org/pubArchive/valued_voice/vv5-13-11.htm#4

You can contact the Wisconsin Hospital Association here: http://www.wha.org/about/contact_us.aspx

hardballer

This is why our voices must be heard. Write! Speak! Do!

Make you voice stand out above the crowd of disinformation junkies. Folks just plain will not hear the truth unless we speak it!

Hardballer out!

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
All of these anti gun Liberal organizations are doing what they always do ...but this time the stars are not aligned in their favor. I agree...we must try to get the media to see our side as tough as that will be...& spread the word..the voices of the groups are not nearly as loud as our voices.

Last edited:

littlewolf

I belive more people are hurt by Dr.'s who are extensivly trained and licensed. Police also kill and injure more people by accident than armed law abiding citizens. They should stick to what they know or think they know.

rimmer

There is more people killed by doctors than gun owners. Seems to me that the doctors need more training.

oscar

Max

I belive more people are hurt by Dr.'s who are extensivly trained and licensed. Police also kill and injure more people by accident than armed law abiding citizens. They should stick to what they know or think they know.

"A recent study by the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences estimated that as many as 98,000 patients may be killed each year in hospitals alone as a result of medical errors."
http://www.medicalmalpractice.com/National-Medical-Malpractice-Facts.cfm

You would think the Wisconsin Hospital Association would have bigger fish to fry by worrying about proper training for their own doctors seeing they kill far more innocent people then law abiding gun carriers do without training.

SIGdude

how many people were killed last year under these two conditions, meeting all standards listed?

1.) Negligent Discharge BY a person WHILE carrying a concealed weapon AND being liscenced.
2.) Medical Malpractice.

I know factually that number 2 is damn near 100,000 and I presume number one I could count all of them from last year on my fingers.

Interceptor_Knight

""The ability to become licensed to carry a concealed weapon capable of deadly force brings with it the expectation and the responsibility of the licensee to have a basic knowledge of safety and the capabilities of that weapon," Merline said. "As such, some level of mandatory training should be required for potential concealed weapon licensees who will very likely not achieve the same level of familiarity as someone professionally accustomed to their weapon."
Quick... someone give me the number to mythbusters...:lol:
Recently one of the local Sheriff Departments replaced their "old" Glocks and sold them. These things looked nearly new. They were being replaced because of age and not because of wear. The round count per year had to be negligible. "Professionally Accustomed" does not equate to highly experienced and more proficient.

HandyHamlet

Seems these hearings are perfect for low to mid level corporate or elected muckie-mucks to look and sound important. But do absolutely nothing. Other than to get out of the office for a few hours and throw some sound bites a

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

I sent this email to sbrenton@wha.org and pmerline@wha.org

Mr Brenton,

A representative from WHA testified this week that they supported training and licensing for any concealed carry bill in WI.

A Mr Merline said:

"The ability to become licensed to carry a concealed weapon capable of deadly force brings with it the expectation and the responsibility of the licensee to have a basic knowledge of safety and the capabilities of that weapon," Merline said. "As such, some level of mandatory training should be required for potential concealed weapon licensees who will very likely not achieve the same level of familiarity as someone professionally accustomed to their weapon."

Let me point out some statistics.

"A recent study by the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences estimated that as many as 98,000 patients may be killed each year in hospitals alone as a result of medical errors."

So.... I assume your members are licensed and have training? If so, this proves that training is not the magic bullet your organization purports.

Thousands of people open carry every day in WI and there have been no documented cases of accidental discharges.

I open carry every day as well. I have open carried in hospitals, my doctors office and clinics and so far no one has said one word.

Please think instead of having an emotional reaction before supporting the infringement of my civil rights.

--
Paul L Fisher

VW_Factor

I still don't quite understand why "they" project their lack of knowledge of firearm operation and safety onto others.

Max

Just emailed this to Steve Brenton,

"Dear Steve,

I watched a representative of your organization testify at the public hearing regarding pending concealed carry of firearms legislation. Your representative stated your organization believed that state mandatory training should be required for anyone wishing to carry a concealed firearm. In that same line of thinking, do you support additional state mandated training for the medical personnel your organization represents? I know they are highly trained but medical errors are still being made as are increased rates of infections that are being introduced to patients at your member's facilities. How much state mandated training do you think would be required to help alleviated the current deficiencies and errors currently taking place in your members facilities. I wish to suggest to our legislature that additional training is needed by medical personnel in our state and would like to see how much training you think should be required before making a presentation to them.

I thank you for your time"

MKEgal

Interceptor_Knight said:
Quick... someone give me the number to mythbusters...
I thought about that when he was talking about a stray bullet exploding an oxygen tank.
Besides, if a BG is attacking, would you rather face certain injury at his hands or the miniscule possibility that maybe a bullet might hit something that goes boom?

Recently one of the local Sheriff Departments replaced their "old" Glocks and sold them.
Oh, man, how do we get in on these sales???
I think since it's public property they should be offered first to good law-abiding citizens in the area.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I thought about that when he was talking about a stray bullet exploding an oxygen tank.

The probability of a bullet fired from a handgun being able to penetrate one of those tanks is probably around ZERO.

And WAVE thought everyone who get's a CC permit ought to be held to the same qualification standards as retired police officers. Okay, WAVE-- if we met those standards, would you then grant us the same ability to carry as retired police officers (i.e., exempt from all local and state firearms regulations?)

Interceptor_Knight

And WAVE thought everyone who get's a CC permit ought to be held to the same qualification standards as retired police officers. Okay, WAVE-- if we met those standards, would you then grant us the same ability to carry as retired police officers (i.e., exempt from all local and state firearms regulations?)
Also, that "law" is Federal and overrides any State laws. Some would say that it is an abuse of the Federal government which is why the national Concealed Carry Bill failed. It forces the local departments to certify the individuals. This is some of the justification for the stringent training.