• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ed today, and it went well

AnderJaspo

I suppose having a positive open carry experience in AZ isn't exactly unusual... but hey, it made my day.

I have been choosing OC over CC increasingly more often, with almost no problems so far. I was OC'ing today when I ran into some car trouble(flat tire, which then separated from the rim/hubcap/wheel/whatever). I didn't have the equipment in my car to switch to the spare... so I got on foot and walked to the store where my girlfriend works, to tell her 'bout the situation.

A lady and her young son overheard me telling the GF about my troubles, and she offered to lend me the tools necessary to fix my car. After a short conversation, she realized we live very close to each other and told me to just return the tools to her after I was done with them. When I was done, I gave her a call, and we met at a nearby park where we met up, I said my thanks, and returned her stuff. She even came by herself! I have to admit I was surprised.

Although my reason for choosing CC over OC, most of the time, is because I don't want to frighten or disturb others, I see more and more often that logical people don't become hysterical just because they see an armed citizen. Apparently there are more people that see the virtue in what we are doing than I realized.

.45acp

Hola amigo,

Glad it went well for you, but then agian you are in AZ! I (and many others) OC everyday all over the state and nary a problem.

Keep it up.

Sonora Rebel

The only people who'll give you the stink-eye are noobs... or hard core lefties. OC has been the norm in Arizona since before there was an Arizona.

Dahwg

Yep. Sometimes I CC just because of convenience or because I have to (restaurant that serves alcohol or something like that). Usually I choose to OC because it's more comfortable, and besides, when I CC I feel sneaky- like I'm doing something wrong.

I only ever had one person say anything, and that was right after the Giffords thing.

VW_Factor

Serious question. Why is CC more convenient? I ask because, I can't for the life of me figure out how to CC effectively the 1% of the time I do need to conceal.

Depending on situations. Such as work or time constraints (such as the "risk" of being hassled for it) sometimes CC is a better option. Is how I view it anyway, to be more convenient at times. Take that how you will, but I understand the sentiment.

TOF

Serious question. Why is CC more convenient? I ask because, I can't for the life of me figure out how to CC effectively the 1% of the time I do need to conceal.

I can but wonder if you know how to wear a holster if you can't figure out how to CC effectively which leads to another question!

I OC a lot but don't find it in the least bit difficult to conceal when I choose to. But of course YMMV

Kingfish

I can but wonder if you know how to wear a holster if you can't figure out how to CC effectively which leads to another question!

I OC a lot but don't find it in the least bit difficult to conceal when I choose to. But of course YMMV
IWB is uncomfortable. I have tried 4 holsters ranging from Uncle Mikes to a custom UBG. Also, I don't wear extra long shirts so every time I reach or bend over the gun shows and makes me feel like a criminal with a gun stuck in the wasteband. I guess I could use a shoulder rig but in GA heat, that is not an option. I do carry off body in a secure rig but I don't like that option either.

azcdlfred

IWB is uncomfortable. I have tried 4 holsters ranging from Uncle Mikes to a custom UBG. Also, I don't wear extra long shirts so every time I reach or bend over the gun shows and makes me feel like a criminal with a gun stuck in the wasteband. I guess I could use a shoulder rig but in GA heat, that is not an option. I do carry off body in a secure rig but I don't like that option either.
I'm with you. I've never enjoyed IWB. It's not comfortable and the gun is in an awkward postion for fast presentation. Add a concealment garment (like a shirt) and you're killing too much time.

I carry discreetly the same way I carry openly - outside the waist band, straight drop holster on the apex of my hip.

I'd avoid a shoulder holster. In my opinion (I'm going to get flamed for this), it the worst possible method of carrying. It's full of "Rule 2" (never point a gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy) safety violations from the moment you put the gun into the holster, Presentation means a 180 degree sweep (more Rule 2 violations) to get it on target. By then, you've become a bullet sponge if your attacker uses almost any other method of carry.

Flame away gentlemen :lol:
Fred

Gunslinger

I agree. I just stick with long shirts over the holster in the summer. Humidity isn't a problem here like it is for you, however. Ankle rig? Of course, it would look funny with shorts on...I do use fanny packs. They are not bad for access if you practice.

Sonora Rebel

Here we go... Range habits... borne of 'range rules' can get you killed. 180 degree sweep? More like 50. Sight alignment? 'Got time for that? Point and click. I won't own a shoulder holster that's not straight drop or canted about 10 deg. IWB in an open carry state indicates to me they're self conscious 'bout carrying. Back to cross draw... pull a real gun (not some mouse gun) from your sitting position... the do it with a seat belt on. Do it from the saddle. Fast? That's for the movies. Only fast draw strong side is gonna be with a buscadero or tactical drop rig tied to yer leg. Rule #2? Who wrote that? Cooper? Rules for noobs 'n mouthbreathers as sponsored by the (koff-koff) NRA. 'For those who do NOT carry guns all the time... and do so with trepidation. Ever study the photo's of the 'old west'? Most carried cross draw... Nobody was tied down. Buscadero's weren't invented 'til 1928. The Indians 'n outlaws were defeated long before Jeff Cooper... or Massood 'n just about everybody else. I still wear a gunbelt... not a gun on my pants belt. Oddly... all these 'kids' call it a 'tactical rig'. What? It's gunbelt... with an ammo pouch and a cell phone pouch. Gunbelts existed before pants belts (1922 with the invention of belt loops). I don't care what John Wayne wore.

GF

Yesterday I went out to wash the car at the car wash and there was only me with my girlfriend and two other vehicles. When I was done washing the car I pulled up to the vacuums and this lady started approaching me and my girlfriend. I was thinking, "here we go" but she told us that her kids have told her not to go to car washes alone and she noticed the firearm that I had and she felt safe.....I've never had anyone tell me that before. She thanked me for washing my car that day and I chuckled and she was off.

Super Saiyan

I find carrying IWB to be quite comfortable, both physically and mentally. Perhaps I've just gotten used to it over the years...

Robin47

Here we go... Range habits... borne of 'range rules' can get you killed. 180 degree sweep? More like 50. Sight alignment? 'Got time for that? Point and click. I won't own a shoulder holster that's not straight drop or canted about 10 deg. IWB in an open carry state indicates to me they're self conscious 'bout carrying. Back to cross draw... pull a real gun (not some mouse gun) from your sitting position... the do it with a seat belt on. Do it from the saddle. Fast? That's for the movies. Only fast draw strong side is gonna be with a buscadero or tactical drop rig tied to yer leg. Rule #2? Who wrote that? Cooper? Rules for noobs 'n mouthbreathers as sponsored by the (koff-koff) NRA. 'For those who do NOT carry guns all the time... and do so with trepidation. Ever study the photo's of the 'old west'? Most carried cross draw... Nobody was tied down. Buscadero's weren't invented 'til 1928. The Indians 'n outlaws were defeated long before Jeff Cooper... or Massood 'n just about everybody else. I still wear a gunbelt... not a gun on my pants belt. Oddly... all these 'kids' call it a 'tactical rig'. What? It's gunbelt... with an ammo pouch and a cell phone pouch. Gunbelts existed before pants belts (1922 with the invention of belt loops). I don't care what John Wayne wore.

Good post Sonora Rebel, and history lessen to !
Many research the laws and all, but not history, and the reality of it.
How it really was !
Robin47 :)

JoeGlock40

Sonora Rebel i agree...when the gun fight starts most the safety rules are gona be out the door and not even close to in your mind, hell where i work we walk around in the Sul position at the range in the academy, thats pointing a loaded gun at your feet, just train train train thats all u can do, but back to topic
i prefer OC just cuz when i CC it makes me feel kinda shady cuz i wana make sure my gun is hidin otherwise someone mite think im some punk with a gun, but when OC, most citizens in az seem to be smart enough to know criminals dont OC, after all we aint cali or NY, our people aint that stupid

Last edited:

Tom Gresham

You might want to try a Crossbreed Holster Super Tuck. It's very comfortable, and you can tuck your shirt in for full concealment. Works like a charm.

VW_Factor

You might want to try a Crossbreed Holster Super Tuck. It's very comfortable, and you can tuck your shirt in for full concealment. Works like a charm.

My wife likes her Super Tuck as well. I have a couple conceal holster options. I prefer my Don Hume IWB thingy.

PavePusher

I suppose having a positive open carry experience in AZ isn't exactly unusual... but hey, it made my day.

SNIP

Although my reason for choosing CC over OC, most of the time, is because I don't want to frighten or disturb others, I see more and more often that logical people don't become hysterical just because they see an armed citizen. Apparently there are more people that see the virtue in what we are doing than I realized.

Congrats, and welcome to OCDO!

flintknapper

I'd avoid a shoulder holster. In my opinion (I'm going to get flamed for this), it the worst possible method of carrying. It's full of "Rule 2" (never point a gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy) safety violations from the moment you put the gun into the holster, Presentation means a 180 degree sweep (more Rule 2 violations) to get it on target. By then, you've become a bullet sponge if your attacker uses almost any other method of carry.

No "flame" from me...but I would submit there is no reason for your alarm on the first point (rule #2). If we are to be intellectually honest...nearly EVERY method of carry has you covering yourself or someone else at some point. A properly working firearm in a quality holster (not being handled) is no danger to anyone. IMO, there exists an over-sensitivity to rule #2 as concerns a weapon NOT being handled. Think about it.

Now....... to address the charge of a "180 degree sweep", this is simply not true UNLESS the person drawing the weapon is completely unaware of what constitutes a "proper" draw from a horizontal shoulder rig.

Please read: http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31470&hilit=shoulder+holster+solutions

I am always amazed at how eager some folks are to malign shoulder carry. Usually, they have NO experience with them at all, but just "parrot" what they have heard from others. As with all modes of carry...it has its pro's and con's...but is largely undeserving of the criticism leveled toward it.

Flint.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Common-sense always told me to cross draw... Cross draw is retention without retention. Hence why the practice has been longstanding among those who practice carry and actually give it rational thought. But I usually have a paddle holster and don't wear any belt at all. I'm getting pudgy, don't need one anymore.... There is no muzzle sweep as I take a rifle stance, not a weaver stance. Presents a narrower silhouette, too. I'm a rifle man, not a handgun man, so the habit stands anyway. All conventional handguns are mouse guns in my opinion. I'd rather be carrying my AMD-65 pistol. Anything less is just downright gurly...

Last edited: