• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions to an Officer at a Police Road Block

EricDailey X-NRA

I want to share this. Please Comment.

A few months ago I drove up on a license check, Cary PD road block in a Cary, NC neighborhood. It was morning and I think they were training some rookies. I stopped for the Officer, my doors were locked and driver window down a few inches, hands on the wheel. All weapons were under lock. I was asked for my license. I responded only by asking the Officer the following questions in rotation each time he spoke to me.

1. What is the reason for this stop?
2. Am I free to go?
3. Am I being detained?
4. Am I required to answer your questions?
5. Am I under investigation?
6. Have I violated the law?

After about five or six tries, the Officer asked if I would like to speak to the Supervisor and he called another Officer to the car. The new Officer ask if he could help me. I asked "Am I free to go." He said "You are free to go".

I drove away.

I've heard it said that "the one asking questions is Master and the one answering questions is Servant." If this is true then at any time we each can decide if we will ask or answer. It may change the conditions at hand. If you are not under "detention" then all responses are voluntary and may be used against you. I don't expect cops to know what the law allows, I expect to have to show them. This may require having to endure Due Process and going up the ladder of authority to show them what the law allows.

Later I addressed the issue of unconstitutional road block stops with Town Officials but they defend the policy by virtue of the NC Statues that "authorize" the practice.

I don't have this encounter on record but I now carry a DVR, digital voice recorder, 24/7. It runs even while I sleep in case I need a record of events after hours. If you are a target they may come at night.

Claytron

Almost 200 views and no comments. I'm surprised. I wish I knew why that may be?

i think its because people are tired of seeing videos and hearing stories of people "putting it to the man".... It seems to be the new trendy thing. Doing it because you are put in the position is one thing but a lot of the time the people in many of the videos and forums go out of their way looking for trouble so they can make a fuss about it.

MR Redenck

http://www.youtube.com/user/CheckpointUSA

This guy has good info on check points
Police check points are illegal in WA state.

I love that Avatar!! HeHe

To the topic, I find checkpoints to be the pratice of Natzi's who are just looking to arrest people for anything they possibly can. Im sure if you hold people in one place long enough, you'll find some sort of reason to arrest them.
I try to respect LE anytime im in contact with them. If I see something illegal happen I try to provide them with all the info I can. If im pulled over I still maintain my respect, but I dont volunteer information. If they want to see ID I will show it to them, other than that im not answering any questions. If I broke the law then prove it!

NavyMike

Please tell me more about illegal in WA.

since 1988 DUI and Sobriety Checkpoints have been illegal in the State of Washington. In*Seattle v. Mesiani,*110 Wn.2d 454, 458, 755 P.2d 775 (1988)**the Washington State Supreme Court said "that stopping all vehicles at mandatory*checkpoints*to check whether drivers were intoxicated constituted an unreasonable intrusion into a person's private affairs".*

jbone

Later I addressed the issue of unconstitutional road block stops with Town Officials but they defend the policy by virtue of the NC Statues that "authorize" the practice.

And just think If you were an Illegal Alien it would be unconstitutional.