• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I Had Him Covered... Kids Too!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I had a bit of a different OC experience tonight. One that covered my neighbor and his kids.

Around 8pm a fire truck, police car and ambulance arrived at the home of my neighbor next door. They took his wife out on a stretcher and loaded her up for a trip to the hospital. As the emergeny response vehicles pulled away, he ran to his car to follow them to the hospital. I asked if there was anything I could do to help.

"Can you keep an eye on my house? I've got kids inside too. Will you make sure nobody enters my home unless my brother comes over."

I assured him I would keep watch over his place and his kids. I had my pistol on my belt as we spoke, and he left in a hurry to be with his wife at the emergeny room. His mention of permitting his brother to access the home led me to believe that his arrival was imminent. In fact, he has several brothers and didn't mention which might arrive to take care of the kids. So, I figured I'd just hang around outside and keep an eye open. Since their front door is not visible from my house, I stayed outside anticipating that his brother would be along shortly. Turns out he had an emergency of his own and the other brothers were scattered to the wind. Ultimately time passed and I ended up hanging around outside for 2 and 1/2 hours until he returned home himself. Toward the end, my pardner showed up and joined me in my watch of the neighbor's home and family.

The wife evidently fainted or passed out. Tests were being run at the hospital to figure out why and she was still there when my neighbor returned home. He said he would be going back and thanked me for watching over the house and kids. I told him "That's what neighbors are for!"

What surprised me was how many other residents in our neighborhood passed me by, dressed all in black as I was, carrying a pistol and lurking around, and nobody called the cops about a suspicious man in the area. One more reason why I've decided to be prepared to protect myself and my family. There have been break-ins in our area before, and with such observant neighbors, I can see why!

Tomorrow we will have our CCW classes. My wife, pardner and I will all take the course with anticipation of doing well and completing this step toward securing our CCW permits. The shooting portion of the class is to be on an outdoor range and the weather may become an issue toward afternoon. Hopefully, we will get through the live fire exercises before it starts to rain. Or snow, as the case could be!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

So...

How was the class?

Howdy James!
Class was 50/50.
We did the whole classroom thing. Done and over with.
Then drove to Brighton for range work. Live fire shooting and holster work.
It got real cold and started raining. The instructor called off the shooting and we will be going back to finish the shooting portion.

We already have our certificats of training, but are sworn to complete the range work.

Despite disappointment over not completing the shooting qualification, I did manage to learn some things in the class and on the range. High on the list being that I don't like the new holster I paid good money on because it is tough to draw or return my weapon easily. And I also learned a new (to me) techniques for better shooting. I was impressed with my instructor and happy with our training. I anticipate taking more courses going forward too! We had two instructors but only 4 'students'. Each of us got real good personal attention.

We hope to complete the shooting qualification next weekend. Hope to see some good weather along the way, especially on Saturday!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

JamesB

Howdy James!
...I did manage to learn some things in the class and on the range. High on the list being that I don't like the new holster I paid good money on because it is tough to draw or return my weapon easily.

Don't let that be a discouragement to you. Some of my holsters I had to figure out how to use in a better manner. Some I had to lay by the wayside. A large assortment of holsters is never a bad thing. My standard carry piece has six different holsters, depending on my method of carry, what the weather is like, where I'm planning to go that day etc...

As I tell the students in my classes, "you have to accessorize!" (insert lisp)

Glad your class went well.

Gunslinger

Some guns only like certain holsters. My SIG 1911s being a good case. They do not fit standard 1911 holsters--either the 5" which has a rail, or the Commander length. The one good thing is my Hi-Powers fit in the Commander length C3 holster, too, so I kill two birds with one stone in that regard. The full size holster, a Blade-Tech, was too damned expensive, but does fit the pistol perfectly. What kind of holster is giving you the problem? Maybe we can offer a suggestion.

bomber

holsters are like shoes, sometimes it takes awhile to find the one that fits right.

i've been through about 7 so far, still haven't found the right one

M-Taliesin

What kind of holster is giving you the problem? Maybe we can offer a suggestion.

Howdy Gunslinger!
The holster is so tight, drawing the weapon is very difficult. That ain't good, but returning the pistol to the holster requires quite a downward shove to secure it. What happens when you do that is the slide will move back just enough that the pistol won't fire when you draw the next time around. The instructor showed me to put my thumb on the back of the slide to keep it from doing that, but it seemed real awkward.

So, once I got home, I got my other 2 holsters out and worked with them. Both the others worked really well for draw and reholster without any problems at all.

The holster I am having trouble with is a Galco leather holster. It has been suggested to wrap my pistol in cling wrap and holster/unholster my weapon about 50 times to help loosen the thing up! Somebody else suggested using mink oil to relax the leather.

Any suggestions are welcome, and I will try anything that works. Until then, however, I won't be using that particular holster.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

holsters are like shoes, sometimes it takes awhile to find the one that fits right.

i've been through about 7 so far, still haven't found the right one

Howdy Bomber!
I have three holsters, and 2 of them work just fine. Naturally, it is the most expensive one of the bunch that is giving me troubles. Hopefully, over time, the leather will loosen up some and I will be able to use this one eventually. Until I have confidence in that particular holster, I ain't gonna rely on it.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Red Dawg

Was thinking. Don't try and loosen your leather TOO much. They are made to fit the gun tight, for retention. Yes, they do need a little breaking in, but if you stretch them too much, they will be cool to draw, and put them back. BUT if you slip on steps, or any other, perfectly vertical maneuver, your shiz will hit the deck. I carry with no "retention straps" in a leather holster, and it isn't super quick to get back in, but it stays put when I'm out and about. I think if you keep practicing, it may surprise you how good you get with the draw...Might need to figure out the better angle for your draw..
Just trying to be helpful. If you just want your wife to let you get more holsters, sorry I intruded.

RandallFlagg

Howdy Folks!
I had a bit of a different OC experience tonight. One that covered my neighbor and his kids.

Around 8pm a fire truck, police car and ambulance arrived at the home of my neighbor next door. They took his wife out on a stretcher and loaded her up for a trip to the hospital. As the emergeny response vehicles pulled away, he ran to his car to follow them to the hospital. I asked if there was anything I could do to help.

"Can you keep an eye on my house? I've got kids inside too. Will you make sure nobody enters my home unless my brother comes over."

I assured him I would keep watch over his place and his kids. I had my pistol on my belt as we spoke, and he left in a hurry to be with his wife at the emergeny room. His mention of permitting his brother to access the home led me to believe that his arrival was imminent. In fact, he has several brothers and didn't mention which might arrive to take care of the kids. So, I figured I'd just hang around outside and keep an eye open. Since their front door is not visible from my house, I stayed outside anticipating that his brother would be along shortly. Turns out he had an emergency of his own and the other brothers were scattered to the wind. Ultimately time passed and I ended up hanging around outside for 2 and 1/2 hours until he returned home himself. Toward the end, my pardner showed up and joined me in my watch of the neighbor's home and family.

The wife evidently fainted or passed out. Tests were being run at the hospital to figure out why and she was still there when my neighbor returned home. He said he would be going back and thanked me for watching over the house and kids. I told him "That's what neighbors are for!"

What surprised me was how many other residents in our neighborhood passed me by, dressed all in black as I was, carrying a pistol and lurking around, and nobody called the cops about a suspicious man in the area. One more reason why I've decided to be prepared to protect myself and my family. There have been break-ins in our area before, and with such observant neighbors, I can see why!

Tomorrow we will have our CCW classes. My wife, pardner and I will all take the course with anticipation of doing well and completing this step toward securing our CCW permits. The shooting portion of the class is to be on an outdoor range and the weather may become an issue toward afternoon. Hopefully, we will get through the live fire exercises before it starts to rain. Or snow, as the case could be!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

First, thank you for being one of those rare, "Good Neighbors." We could use more like you.

I read the thread and wanted to ask if you've thought about getting a Crossbreed Supertuck holster?
I got my CCW (77 days after submitting my paperwork) in Adams County and use the CBST holster every day. I thought it might be uncomfortable using it with my big Beretta 92FS, but I was wrong. VERY secure and manageable. Sitting in the vehicle gives me a bit of a rub, but it's not bad after a while.

Again, thanks for being there for 'em.