Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snakes!!!!

Snakes!!!!

'Been seein' more of 'em than ever for some reason... rattlers. Killed a Mohave last Wedensday in my carport 'n tonite I was takin out the trash 'n spied this 'coon tail' goin' under one of the cans. Western Diamondback. Suffice to say... it's dark 'n nobody's home but me. 'Not gonna risk it way the hell out here. Anyway... thought maybe y'all might want'a think of buyin' some snakeshot (and load a pistol for that purpose beforehand). I didn't... 'n it vanished by the time I got back out there. If I'd gone out there 3 seconds later I'd never have seen it.

Ugh. Hope we don't see one tomorrow at the paintball field tomorrow. Customers freak out.

Sometimes I wish I had more rattlers around my property - they're good eating.

Though having a 4 year old boy running around, it's probably for the best that they're staying away.

Centurion

It seems to vary a lot from year to year

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Rebel View Post
    'Been seein' more of 'em than ever for some reason... rattlers. Killed a Mohave last Wedensday in my carport 'n tonite I was takin out the trash 'n spied this 'coon tail' goin' under one of the cans. Western Diamondback. Suffice to say... it's dark 'n nobody's home but me. 'Not gonna risk it way the hell out here. Anyway... thought maybe y'all might want'a think of buyin' some snakeshot (and load a pistol for that purpose beforehand). I didn't... 'n it vanished by the time I got back out there. If I'd gone out there 3 seconds later I'd never have seen it.
    One year I ended up killing or removing 5 rattlesnakes from right around my place in the desert. Most years... nothing. When I say removing, I gave a couple of them to the base preventive medicine unit. The released one 60 miles from my place, and another ended up in a formaldehyde jar. I released the one that they did, a couple of hundred yards away, and it was on my doorstep the next morning.
    Last edited by ccwinstructor; 05-14-2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: spelling error. on to one.

Talking

I always carried the round in the chamber a .38 or 9mm snake load while hiking in the Adrondack Mts. in NY. They both worked well on rattlers.
    Mitch

I just killed a 3 1/2 foot rattler yesterday. That makes 8 of 9 years at my current home in North Phoenix that I've killed one ... all with my trusty shovel. My home is in a cul-de-sac that opens to Skunk Creek Wash.
    Last edited by CatnPhx; 05-16-2011 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CatnPhx View Post
    I just killed a 3 1/2 foot rattler yesterday. That makes 8 of 9 years at my current home in North Phoenix that I've killed one ... all with my trusty shovel. My home is in a cul-de-sac that opens to Skunk Creek Wash.
    BwAAA!
    Snakes, yall dont know the meaning of Rattle Snake.
    I use to work down around the Ozona area a lot, over the years I have killed one Rattler a little over 6' and seen another about the same size that had been ran over.
    I HATE SNAKES!!! WHY ARE THE BIG ONES AFTER MEEEEEEE????

Campaign Veteran
    Most may be bigger, but I give those Mohave's a lot of room when I see one cause they have a REALLY nasty venom. Don't mess around with them. I usually see 4 or 5 each year hiking up in South Mountain. They are hard to hear and harder to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Notso View Post
    Most may be bigger, but I give those Mohave's a lot of room when I see one cause they have a REALLY nasty venom. Don't mess around with them. I usually see 4 or 5 each year hiking up in South Mountain. They are hard to hear and harder to see.
    Mojave rattlers are the only North American pit viper that causes very many deaths. They have a very potent venom that attacks muscle and red blood cells and is neurotoxic to boot! Neurotoxins are what make cobras and other elapids so deadly and most rattlesnakes don't have them; neither do copperheads nor cottonmouth moccasins.

That shovel isn't big enough for the real rattlers. Western Diamondbacks commonly reach over 6 feet long and have been documented close to 9 feet long.

Get a bunch of roadrunners to hang around your house. No more rattlers in short order.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

If you have citrus trees and the roof rat problem, a big old rattler might be just what you need. Just keep your eyes and ears open.
    If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance.

Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    If you have citrus trees and the roof rat problem, a big old rattler might be just what you need. Just keep your eyes and ears open.
    A big old Bull Snake will do just as well and they are not poisonous.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

only 3 1/2 feet ...?

It seems like everybody feels sorry for the rattlers....until it's in their yard. Then they're calling you asking you to come shoot it

Quote Originally Posted by ccwinstructor View Post
    One year I ended up killing or removing 5 rattlesnakes from right around my place in the desert. Most years... nothing. When I say removing, I gave a couple of them to the base preventive medicine unit. The released one 60 miles from my place, and another ended up in a formaldehyde jar. I released the one that they did, a couple of hundred yards away, and it was on my doorstep the next morning.
    Rattlers have a home range of about a 1/4 mile in diameter... it came 'home'.

Striking Distance

Any pit viper has a striking range of 2/3rds its body length. A six foot snake can strike 4 feet from its coiled position.
    How long is your shovel?

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalryman
    Mojave rattlers are the only North American pit viper that causes very many deaths.
    So how do these look different from any other snake w/ a loud tail?
    Not that I'm likely to a) be around them, or b) stay in one place long enough to take a close look if I do find that I'm near one...

Quote Originally Posted by gprod55
    Any pit viper has a striking range of 2/3rds its body length. A six foot snake can strike 4 feet from its coiled position. How long is your shovel?
    I saw my grandpa kill a rattler w/ a shovel once.
    He managed to keep it stretched out so it couldn't strike.
    Not sure I'd want to try it myself. (Actually, I'm pretty sure I would not want to try it.)

Centurion

Yes it did.

Rattlers have a home range of about a 1/4 mile in diameter... it came 'home'.
    Unfortunately, it had made its home right next to my front door. I don't like to kill snakes, but I am not willing to have a living land mine live where it is easily stepped on. They are so well camoflaged that it is easy to miss them, and they don't always rattle. I almost stepped on one just outside the front door of our main building.

Once, we called post snake removal, they came and took the little sidewinder a couple of hundred yards out in the desert and dropped it on a sandy spot dotted with gravel. I fit in that environment so well that I could just barely make it out even though I had seen it dropped.

Memories lol. Used to see a lot of Rattlers out there.
    Now, back in Fla. in a marshy/swampy area, I get tons of all kinds in addition to Diamondbacks and pigmies, I get Copperheads as well.
    Lot of non-poisonous (green, garden, rat snakes etc) too, but it's gotten to where I dont even take any chances trying to distinguish em. I just blast em and clear em out.

In the past yr, have killed 4 DBs, 2 Coppers and a bunch of others.
    .410 shotshells- #4/#6 -perfect doses for em. I keep an old single-shot H&R close by when outside just for this.
    Good use for a Judge, actually-much handier to carry around outside on the lands. Def. intend to get one sometime for this purpose.

Smile Snakes

Thanks for the warning!! I hate snakes! Almost been bit a few times. I kill all of them that I can. I am SO glad I live where they only come out about 4 mos out of the yr. I want to visit Arizona, but all those snakes?! Guess I'll have to be very careful, and of course I'll go armed.

Campaign Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Most of the ones I see are the mojave green variety, smaller, usually 2 to 3 ft long, a kind of unusual greenish tinge and has a more subdued rattle. If I'm in the mountains around here and it's not an obvious diamondback or other easily distinguished rattler, I treat it as a mojave.(Not that I want to get close to any of em).

When im out and about, I have a shotgun with me. Well, I have a shotgun everywhere I go.
    Handguns are for shoot your way back to your shotgun!!!
    Me, I just leave the handgun and take the shotgun with me.

State Researcher

Snake prevention

Roadrunners and king snakes go a long way to preventing rattlesnakes from setting up shop. Both like to dine on rattlers. The kings will also eat everything else a rattler would (mice, rats, etc). So you get all the benefits offered by having snakes around without the risk of having a venomous snake.

My mother grew up in an area with no shortage of either wildlife or humans. Her father had to kill several rattlesnakes in the yard or garden every year until one year a nice big king snake moved into the yard. Grandma saw another snake, didn't know one from another, and called him to come take care of yet another "rattler." He showed up, recognized the difference right away, and promptly instructed grandma and all the kids that the new snake was not to be disturbed for any reason. It took to sunny itself on the rock steps leading to the back porch which prompted grandma and her girls to walk the long way around--from the front door--to hand laundry out to dry. But it never tried to bite anyone, wouldn't have been a real issue even if it had, and they never saw another rattler in the yard again.

Years later, my mother endured my adolescent fascination with snakes as I kept a California King as a pet for a summer and then turned it loose in the yard.

Not that I want to bet real money on who wins a fight between a King and one of those 9 foot monster rattlers y'all are photographing. WOW. The stuff of nightmares there.

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Not that I'm likely to a) be around them, or b) stay in one place long enough to take a close look if I do find that I'm near one...
    Here's what Mojave rattlers look like:

Did you take that picture???........ Please tell me you didn't....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast