• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Snakes!!!!

Notso

Campaign Veteran
So how do these look different from any other snake w/ a loud tail?

Most of the ones I see are the mojave green variety, smaller, usually 2 to 3 ft long, a kind of unusual greenish tinge and has a more subdued rattle. If I'm in the mountains around here and it's not an obvious diamondback or other easily distinguished rattler, I treat it as a mojave.(Not that I want to get close to any of em).

MR Redenck

When im out and about, I have a shotgun with me. Well, I have a shotgun everywhere I go.
Handguns are for shoot your way back to your shotgun!!!
Me, I just leave the handgun and take the shotgun with me.

utbagpiper

Banned
Snake prevention

Roadrunners and king snakes go a long way to preventing rattlesnakes from setting up shop. Both like to dine on rattlers. The kings will also eat everything else a rattler would (mice, rats, etc). So you get all the benefits offered by having snakes around without the risk of having a venomous snake.

My mother grew up in an area with no shortage of either wildlife or humans. Her father had to kill several rattlesnakes in the yard or garden every year until one year a nice big king snake moved into the yard. Grandma saw another snake, didn't know one from another, and called him to come take care of yet another "rattler." He showed up, recognized the difference right away, and promptly instructed grandma and all the kids that the new snake was not to be disturbed for any reason. It took to sunny itself on the rock steps leading to the back porch which prompted grandma and her girls to walk the long way around--from the front door--to hand laundry out to dry. But it never tried to bite anyone, wouldn't have been a real issue even if it had, and they never saw another rattler in the yard again.

Years later, my mother endured my adolescent fascination with snakes as I kept a California King as a pet for a summer and then turned it loose in the yard.

Not that I want to bet real money on who wins a fight between a King and one of those 9 foot monster rattlers y'all are photographing. WOW. The stuff of nightmares there.

Charles

JesseL

So how do these look different from any other snake w/ a loud tail?
Not that I'm likely to a) be around them, or b) stay in one place long enough to take a close look if I do find that I'm near one... :eek:

Here's what Mojave rattlers look like:
Rattlesnakes1.jpg

Rattlesnakes2.jpg

GF

I don't think I would stick around to catch some photos. If I came across that pile I would probably run after I crapped myself lol.

flintknapper

Mojave rattlers are the only North American pit viper that causes very many deaths. They have a very potent venom that attacks muscle and red blood cells and is neurotoxic to boot! Neurotoxins are what make cobras and other elapids so deadly and most rattlesnakes don't have them; neither do copperheads nor cottonmouth moccasins.

^^^^^^ Correct!

The neurotoxic property of Mojave RS venom is what separates it from other rattlers. Many folks do not know this.

Thanks for the info, hopefully it will cause people to be especially careful around them.

Last edited:

Fisherman

^^^^^^ Correct!

The neurotoxic property of Mojave RS venom is what separates it from other rattlers. Many folks do not know this.

Thanks for the info, hopefully it will cause people to be especially careful around them.

I'm especially careful around all snakes. LOL I don't like spiders and snakes!

What part of E. Texas are you in?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Here's what Mojave rattlers look like:
Rattlesnakes1.jpg

Rattlesnakes2.jpg

mmm tasty! That's like stumbling upon a 12 point buck, laying down. I wouldn't wanna fill my next month's worth of meals full of shot... A suppressed Ruger Charger would be perfect... puff, puff puff....

Hematoxic and Neurotoxic be damned, I'm 30yds away...

Last edited: