Thread: Coby DVR

Coby DVR

Anyone familiar with this product?
    It has all the features I need and the price is good, just wondering how well it actually works.

Leesburg, GA
    I am familar with Coby. I would avoid it on the name alone.

Namely, I would worry about microphone quality number one, and number two.. I'd be willing to bet it locks up for no apparent reason.

I have an application on my HD2 I use for recording, even gets audio pretty well from inside a coat pocket.

At any rate, I would look at products that are at the very least $50 price range. Its hard to judge mic quality just by looking at specs on a box, but you should get something decent in the $50 to $100 segment.

I am sure guys around here that have stand alone recorders have suggestions beyond that.

Columbia, in the Peoples Republic of Murderland
    As someone who has been involved in consumer electronics for over 20 years (as both a consumer and a seller) I can tell you that Coby is some of the crappiest stuff on the market. It is unreliable, prone to failure, and has a VERY short life-cycle. However, at the price point they are selling Coby products, they are sort of meant to be viewed as "disposable electronics", so when they do fail (usually within a few months) replacing them is cheap...

But I wouldn't bet my freedom on a Coby product. Get a "brand name" unit like Sony or Olympus. Heck, even the RCA digital voice recorders at WalMart have proven themselves as reliable with members here on OCDO--and they are the same price as the Coby you linked to...

In other words, avoid Coby--go with a "brand name"...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 05-18-2011 at 01:07 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964