• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got kicked out of Dierberg's last night/ Encountered 6 patrol cars at Schnucks

cash50

Went to Dierberg's in St. Charles last night (Zumbehl Road). As I was about to leave I was approached by a woman, presumably the store manager. She asks the most intelligent question in the world - am I a cop? Cops are the only people professional and trained enough to carry firearms, as can be read here: http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/education/article_7483eff3-f243-5cc3-b81f-e960aec87e7b.html

I told her no (obviously), and she said that it was company policy, not hers, that they don't allow law abiding citizens to carry firearms in their store. She stated the purpose was for "customer safety" and that they have signs at the doors to inform you of the policy (there are no signs). Everyone knows that law abiding citizens are the number one threat to grocery stores, and that criminals -people who break the law- stop and piss themselves at the sight of a no firearms sign. That's why this store is safer when I don't carry my firearms there.

So I said goodbye keep your crap and went right across the street to Schnuck's. I'm there for about 5 minutes when I see a member of St. Charles Finest (in uniform) walking down the aisle. I get my phone out and start recording. He asks for my ID, I decline. I tell him I'm not breaking the law and he knows it. He says that I knew the cops would be called. In the past I've never had a LEO encounter while OC'ing. We talk about the merits of producing ID for a moment when another cop comes in. He talks to the store manager who says I scared some people. They tell her I'm legal and she says ok then it's fine. She even mentioned that her husband has a CCW permit, so great. Cops walk out of the store.

About 10-15 minutes later I'm walking out pushing my cart. I notice patrol cars on each side of the door, one more further down to my left. All 3 of these officers had deployed and were actively pursuing "lot safety". Two more patrol cars were parked in the far end of the parking lot, undoubtedly combating shopping cart theft. Another patrol car was doing laps.

I proceeded to roll down my windows, turn up some Kesha and drive off into the wild blue yonder. Below is my letter to Dierberg's. I'll post the response when I get it.

Hi, this is "name" writing in regards to your Zumbehl and Veterans Memorial location. I was shopping there last night while openly carrying my firearm. I am writing to inquire if your store has a policy against law abiding citizens from carrying their weapons in your store.

As I was about to check out, I was approached by a woman who was, presumably, this store's manager. She told me that it was your company policy to not allow law abiding citizens to carry their firearms into your store. She also told me that your store has signs stating that they do not allow law abiding citizens to carry their firearms into the store.

That location had no such signs, as I checked when I left. This leads me to believe she may also be lying or about the company policy on not permitting law abiding citizens to carry firearms in your stores.

Needless to say this was a major pain as I had finished my shopping and was ready to go home on a Friday night. Instead, I had to go shopping again. I promptly went right across the street to Schnuck's and spent my money there. Feel free to call me also. Please let me know about your policies.

name

Last edited:

cash50

Oh a side note, the main officer I talked to made a comment about me being "one of those guys who records everything".

How is it that all these cops are so sensitive? I mean really, that's all it took to get him upset. I told him I'm recording for MY safety. Because many of us know how municipal law enforcement works, and officers often "fill in the blanks" to make you guilty, recording is important.

kcgunfan

I proceeded to roll down my windows, turn up some Kesha and drive off into the wild blue yonder. Below is my letter to Dierberg's. I'll post the response when I get it.

I believe that's Ke$ha. Sounds like fun at both ends of the state last night. Must have been Friday the 13th or something...

MR Redenck

Oh a side note, the main officer I talked to made a comment about me being "one of those guys who records everything".

How is it that all these cops are so sensitive? I mean really, that's all it took to get him upset. I told him I'm recording for MY safety. Because many of us know how municipal law enforcement works, and officers often "fill in the blanks" to make you guilty, recording is important.

That's just smart thinking, and yes thats what they do.
I learned that form several different people. When cops are charging you, they stick all kinds of BS charges on you in attempt to get something to stick. That's why a lot of case end up with several dropped charges.
I saw one case personally that the prosecution tried to get the defense to plea guilty on the "real" charges in order to get all the "BS" charges dropped. " Didnt work and the guy won in court".
Haha! :monkey

afcarry

That's just smart thinking, and yes thats what they do.
I learned that form several different people. When cops are charging you, they stick all kinds of BS charges on you in attempt to get something to stick. That's why a lot of case end up with several dropped charges.
I saw one case personally that the prosecution tried to get the defense to plea guilty on the "real" charges in order to get all the "BS" charges dropped. " Didnt work and the guy won in court".
Haha! :monkey

I guess KCPD are just a little bit better at handling those situations than STL side, (pure speculation). We've had a number of encounters recently with no attitudes, no accusations made against either group, and overall I think everything is going well, they do their job, we exercise our rights, mutual respect flourishes.

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Sent today

Dear Sir or Madam,

A friend of mine went grocery shopping in the Zumbehl Road and 70 location and had an unusual response from management. He was asked to leave and was informed Dierbergs does NOT allow legal citizens to carry firearms in a legal manner within their stores, the manager also claimed to him the location is posted as such at both entrances.

This is either very new or simply 100% false.

I discontinued shopping with Schnucks in 2004 specifically because they opted to engage in such activities and only recently recanted their position and now no longer post or restrict their locations. I still no longer shop there as I find it remarkable that after being fully investigated by the FBI Schnucks did not trust me, their change of mind did not regain my trust in them.

I have NEVER heard a single word out of a single manager at Dierbergs and I have shopped at many of them including the location he was harassed at. That store in fact had 100% of my business for 5 years as it was only a few blocks away. Now the store at hwy N and K in OFallon has 100% of my business except for an occasional item at Walmart or shop n save both of which are much closer as I reside near N and 40.

If it is Dierbergs intent to not allow legal citizens to legally carry a firearm in their stores I would like to know so as I do not offend you as I ALWAYS carry a firearm and I will shift my business elsewhere. I must say though, I can not believe this will be the new choice of Dierbergs as it historically has not and I suspect a misguided manager simply in need of training is actually the case.

Please make any response clear and concise as to the status of legally carried firearms within your stores, I strongly suspect it will be the same as it has always been known to be "Dierbergs follows the laws of the localities in which it operates and does not otherwise restrict the civil rights of its customers"

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I really hope this was just a sheeple manager and is not a shift in policies as I do like Dierbergs and even have an online account with them for flowers and such, makes life easy.

The only difference is, I would NEVER have gone to Schnucks, not until they give 125k to 2a issues aka five times what they gave to the anti's.

mspgunner

I really hope this was just a sheeple manager and is not a shift in policies as I do like Dierbergs and even have an online account with them for flowers and such, makes life easy.

The only difference is, I would NEVER have gone to Schnucks, not until they give 125k to 2a issues aka five times what they gave to the anti's.

LMTD send them a letter to that. I did, never gota response, their address is on thierweb site which can be found with Google.

cash50

Awesome letter. The whole thing messed my night up, I was literally about to check out, just needed balsamic vinegar. I really don't like to go shopping twice.

If this manager was going against store policy, I would really need an apology before I shop there again. It was a pain in the arse all over nothing.

The lady was visibly worried about the gun, very flustered.

StevenSTL

I'm a Shop n Save guy. Shop at the one off Cave Springs for almost 2 years now. Open Carry pretty frequently and never been given grief. I did have one cashier look at me weird when I was checking out one time. But it was a Friday night and I was buying close to $80 in liquor and beer.

Fallschirjmäger

No, No, noooo..... you're not recording for your safety. You're recording for their safety, just like they disarm law abiding citizens "for your safety."

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Glad everything worked out in the end. I prefer Schnuck over Dierbergs anyways so no reason to go there.

After schnucks gave 25k to the anti's I have refused to ever give them another dollar to do that with again.

lancers

HA. This is so crazy. What are they scared of? They do the same thing. I guess when they can't control if the tape is "lost", it makes them mad. I wonder if he was one of the ones to get this memo or a similar one about open carry. I have no doubt recording was discussed as it has been in previous memos about me to police around the area. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...e-memo-about-open-carry&p=1532186#post1532186

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
See my "another solid win" posting for this thread!!!!!!

Dear Richard,

Thank you for your email concerning the events at our Bogey Hills store
over the weekend.
Our policy on Open Carry is that we will follow the state and local laws
in regards to the possession of legal weapons in our locations. Please
note that the local laws vary depending on the location of a particular
store. Should a customer express a concern in regards to an individual
carrying either an open or concealed weapon we will suggest that they
contact the local police to investigate the circumstances.

I apologize if there was confusion on the part of our manager. We will
take the necessary steps to make sure that our managers understand how
to handle these situations in the future.

Thank you for your interest in Dierbergs.

Sincerely,
XXXXXX edited for privacy
Dierbergs Customer Relations Manager

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Same email as I got.

Well sir, thank you for enduring the event that allowed us to gain official confirmation.

If you can make the Sunday dinner I shall buy you the drink of your choice in a show of appreciation. I should warn you though, this is a rough crowd and a 46 oz margarita might draw "thats a girly drink" types of comments :)

Thanks again, had you not stepped forward things could be much different.

Rich