Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Fishing events.

Open Carry Fishing events.

Anyone went to any of the events? If so, how'd it go? Any concerns from onlookers?

Sent from my HTC EVO!
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. – James Madison
    An armed society is a polite society. – Robert A. Heinlein
    Gun bans don't disarm criminals, gun bans attract them. – Walter Mondale

I'll be trying my first on June 11th in Dania, let you know how it goes if I don't see you there.
    American Government 101:
    The Executive branch's job is to provide celebrity figureheads for the pandering populace.
    The Legislative branch's job is to progressively destroy our freedoms for the "safety" of "We the Sheeple."
    The Judicial branch's job is to look like they're defending our freedoms against the abuses of the Legislative branch, only by token gestures that do not interfere is this pivotal process, but enough to deceive "We the People" into a false sense of security.

I've been hosting the OC fishing events in Fort Myers for Florida Carry for about 7 months now. During that time, we've never had the police called, and month before last, we were serenaded by a Girl Scout Brownie troop. The only time we were contacted by police was April, when coincidently the Fair Tax/Tea Party was having a rally at the same time. Of course, before we start holding these events in any new area, we always take the time to contact law enforcement and the city/county attorney to notify them of the statute, what it says, and what we plan to do. This is to prevent any surprises and so no one gets hurt.

But when FMPD approached us in April, they initially came up and asked if we had carry licenses. I told them we didn't need carry licenses and showed them 790.25(3). I pointed out that neither 790.053 (ban on open carry) and 790.06 (concealed carry licensing) applied while doing the activities listed. In fact, paragraph (3) is the very same paragraph that authorizes law enforcement to open carry and carry without a license as well.

They were intially skeptical, but I also told them who they could contact in their own department to confirm what we'd said. They did so, and that was that. They were polite, but expressed concern that the legislature didn't mean fishing downtown while open carrying. I simply said that understood their concern, but the statute was clear and did not prohibit our activity. They were polite, never disarmed us, and were fine with it when they realized that no one of the hundreds who were attending the rally was freaking out or showing any concern whatsoever.

This is generally the response we get when it's just us out there as well. The few passers-by look, make comments amongst themselves, and that's about it. We always greet people walking by, and avail ourselves to answer any questions they may have.
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2
    Mosin Nagant M91/30 (1942 Izhevsk)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich7553 View Post
    the hundreds who were attending the rally

Hundreds were there specifically for the OC event? That's wonderful. I'm 2 hours one way from the nearest one in Daytona but will try to make the one June 11.
    Last edited by 77zach; 05-15-2011 at 09:54 AM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    Hundreds were there specifically for the OC event? That's wonderful. I'm 2 hours one way from the nearest one in Daytona but will try to make the one June 11.
    I think Rich meant that hundreds were attending a Tea Party rally that just happened to be going on at the same time/area as their OC fishing event.

..... The only time we were contacted by police was April, when coincidently the Fair Tax/Tea Party was having a rally at the same time.....

I've attended the last four or five Open Carry Saturday events in Fort Myers. It is a good time for all and educational for those who wish to learn more about it when they talk with us.

As I ride a motorcycle to and from the event, I also open carry on the bike with only one short event with the Sheriff's dept several months ago but once everyone got on the same page, I was allowed to ride away with no further action, still open carrying. The whole stop took maybe 10 minutes.

The Florida statute is very specific and although it may look out of place to see a guy on a bike with a fishing rod on the back seat (and an H&K .40 on the belt) it's still completely legal and I do ride like that SEVERAL TIMES A WEEK now, just because I can and I believe that every little bit helps in the exposure of the citizens to open carry.

Granted, I'm not looking like a Hell's Angel (registered trade mark) on the bike, but the H&K is obvious if anyone happens to give a second glance.

I believe we should continue these Open Carry Saturdays and get ready for the next push next year.

Hey, it's America. Fishing, motorcycles and guns. Does it get any better than that!!

AD

Quote Originally Posted by JeepSeller View Post
    I think Rich meant that hundreds were attending a Tea Party rally that just happened to be going on at the same time/area as their OC fishing event.
    I'm wondering why these two groups aren't more closely associated. You'd think Tea Partiers would be interested in OC. They seem to do it a lot in other States.

"Other States" being the operative term... Floridians are weak Constitutionalists, at best. Most are Institutionalists...
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

It's heartening to hear that your LEO encounter was a non-issue, especially when at first blush it's going to appear like a man unlawfully carrying a firearm. I can't imagine how much of a non-issue it would have been if OC had passed into law. I guess Jim Coats really is just a liar/idiot enemy of the people.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by ADulay View Post
    I've attended the last four or five Open Carry Saturday events in Fort Myers. It is a good time for all and educational for those who wish to learn more about it when they talk with us.

As I ride a motorcycle to and from the event, I also open carry on the bike with only one short event with the Sheriff's dept several months ago but once everyone got on the same page, I was allowed to ride away with no further action, still open carrying. The whole stop took maybe 10 minutes.

The Florida statute is very specific and although it may look out of place to see a guy on a bike with a fishing rod on the back seat (and an H&K .40 on the belt) it's still completely legal and I do ride like that SEVERAL TIMES A WEEK now, just because I can and I believe that every little bit helps in the exposure of the citizens to open carry.

Granted, I'm not looking like a Hell's Angel (registered trade mark) on the bike, but the H&K is obvious if anyone happens to give a second glance.

I believe we should continue these Open Carry Saturdays and get ready for the next push next year.

Hey, it's America. Fishing, motorcycles and guns. Does it get any better than that!!

AD
    I've been thinking about picking up a bike again just for this reason. Ninja 250 is cheap, and saves a ton on gas, too. Stop laughing! :-p
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    I'm wondering why these two groups aren't more closely associated. You'd think Tea Partiers would be interested in OC. They seem to do it a lot in other States.

"Other States" being the operative term... Floridians are weak Constitutionalists, at best. Most are Institutionalists...
    The campaign for liberty, fl division is interested in OC now. They got a 10th amendment resolution, a ban on "no refusal checkpoints", and a red light camera ban introduced. I don't know what became of the bills, but I believe the red light camera one got through, only banning new red light cameras at the moment.

Hey guys,

It's that time again. Open Carry Saturday is June 11th and you can hook up with some of your buddies you've met here and other forums and make the attempt at actually catching a fish!!

I'm always at the Fort Myers Open Carry event and our small group always has a good time, as long as Rich brings donuts and Teddy brings the coffee.

Me? I'm just there for support (and to eat a donut or two).

AD (on the motorcycle with the HK on my belt and fishing rod on the seat)

Carpool canceled, I won't be going.

Interesting set of events at today's Open Carry Saturday down in Ft Myers.

About half way through, two FMPD cars showed up. They took their good old time about getting out and walking by but pretty much ignored us.

Seems they were there for the "party in the park" type of get together and may have been expecting a bit of trouble there.

Us? The guys with the weapons? They probably just said we weren't a problem due to the obvious donuts and coffee sitting on the dock!

Once again, another nice Saturday fishing, drinking coffee and discussing guns.

AD

Fort Lauderdale was great, there were at least 8 of us OCing. Several people on the dock talked with us throughout the day, most thought it was cool you could carry while fishing and we just talked about what we were carrying and other guns we had. No negative responses from the whole mix of races, genders, and ages; one off-duty/undercover officer came over and talked to the folks at the info table, just had noticed lots of people with guns and just found out that fishing-carry was legal when they showed him the statute, and went along with no problems.
    Most of us even caught stuff! (bass and mudfish)
    American Government 101:
    The Executive branch's job is to provide celebrity figureheads for the pandering populace.
    The Legislative branch's job is to progressively destroy our freedoms for the "safety" of "We the Sheeple."
    The Judicial branch's job is to look like they're defending our freedoms against the abuses of the Legislative branch, only by token gestures that do not interfere is this pivotal process, but enough to deceive "We the People" into a false sense of security.

I think it was a good outcome being the first event. as far as the DT he was like what 1,2,3,4,people with guns. lol it was funny. but it's good he got informed with the Florida Statues..

Quote Originally Posted by ADulay View Post
    About half way through, two FMPD cars showed up ... due to the obvious donuts and coffee sitting on the dock!
    See what a little creative editing can do? :-p

I will be in Port St. Lucie from June 20-25. Would love to meet up with some FL OCers if anyone is interested.

Scott W.
    President - Michigan Open Carry, Inc.

Probably won't get any takers. It's such a silly arrangement that most people don't do it. No reason you can't go solo though. Just make sure you've got your fishing license. If you don't have it, you aren't lawfully fishing, and thus the exception for OC goes away and you're a Bad Guy... Yeah, it's dumb as sh!t.
    Last edited by ixtow; 06-16-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepSeller View Post
    No Jeep. Hundreds attended with the sole purpose of supporting open carry.

See here:
    http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news...a-gun-law.html

Quote Originally Posted by StogieC View Post
    No Jeep. Hundreds attended with the sole purpose of supporting open carry.

See here:
    http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news...a-gun-law.html
    Ummm. No Sean. In the context of the Fort Myers event I was referencing, I meant hundreds at the Fair Tax/Tea Party rally that was occuring simultaneously.

But Sean is right, there were over 100 persons at the inaugural Melbourne fishing event.
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2

Ummm. No Sean. In the context of the Fort Myers event I was referencing, I meant hundreds at the Fair Tax/Tea Party rally that was occuring simultaneously.

But Sean is right, there were over 100 persons at the inaugural Melbourne fishing event.
    Ah, didn't know you were referring to that one. But yes, we have had hundreds for the purpose of OC also.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    Pictures or it didn't happen.
    Click the link in Stogie's post above. That's one the news folks took.
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2

For those of you who are still interested, this Saturday (as in tomorrow!) is another Open Carry Saturday (always the 2nd Saturday) and there's plenty of places in the state to attend for a few hours, openly carrying your daily carry gun, while drinking some coffee and drowning some worms.

Always a good time and you can meet some of the people you see on these Florida boards!

AD (I'll be at my usual Fort Myers downtown location)
    NRA Life - AMA Life - ABATE Life
    Viet-Nam Helicopters Pilots Assn - Life
    IDPA, ICORE and USPSA carry gun shooter - Glock Armorer
    NRA Certified Instructor

Well as many of you know I went to the Skyway Fishing pier on 8-21-11 and Open Carried and there was not one single problem there.
    And for the first time of anybody open carrying there that I am aware of it went very smoothly and I would recommend it, mainly because the
    price to get on also includes your fishing license plus there are many people there to educate on the practice of open carry.
    God Bless America.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast