• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Fishing events.

Willm3053

Anyone went to any of the events? If so, how'd it go? Any concerns from onlookers?

Sent from my HTC EVO!

Rich7553

I've been hosting the OC fishing events in Fort Myers for Florida Carry for about 7 months now. During that time, we've never had the police called, and month before last, we were serenaded by a Girl Scout Brownie troop. The only time we were contacted by police was April, when coincidently the Fair Tax/Tea Party was having a rally at the same time. Of course, before we start holding these events in any new area, we always take the time to contact law enforcement and the city/county attorney to notify them of the statute, what it says, and what we plan to do. This is to prevent any surprises and so no one gets hurt.

But when FMPD approached us in April, they initially came up and asked if we had carry licenses. I told them we didn't need carry licenses and showed them 790.25(3). I pointed out that neither 790.053 (ban on open carry) and 790.06 (concealed carry licensing) applied while doing the activities listed. In fact, paragraph (3) is the very same paragraph that authorizes law enforcement to open carry and carry without a license as well.

They were intially skeptical, but I also told them who they could contact in their own department to confirm what we'd said. They did so, and that was that. They were polite, but expressed concern that the legislature didn't mean fishing downtown while open carrying. I simply said that understood their concern, but the statute was clear and did not prohibit our activity. They were polite, never disarmed us, and were fine with it when they realized that no one of the hundreds who were attending the rally was freaking out or showing any concern whatsoever.

This is generally the response we get when it's just us out there as well. The few passers-by look, make comments amongst themselves, and that's about it. We always greet people walking by, and avail ourselves to answer any questions they may have.

JeepSeller

Hundreds were there specifically for the OC event? That's wonderful. I'm 2 hours one way from the nearest one in Daytona but will try to make the one June 11.

I think Rich meant that hundreds were attending a Tea Party rally that just happened to be going on at the same time/area as their OC fishing event.

..... The only time we were contacted by police was April, when coincidently the Fair Tax/Tea Party was having a rally at the same time.....

ADulay

I've attended the last four or five Open Carry Saturday events in Fort Myers. It is a good time for all and educational for those who wish to learn more about it when they talk with us.

As I ride a motorcycle to and from the event, I also open carry on the bike with only one short event with the Sheriff's dept several months ago but once everyone got on the same page, I was allowed to ride away with no further action, still open carrying. The whole stop took maybe 10 minutes.

The Florida statute is very specific and although it may look out of place to see a guy on a bike with a fishing rod on the back seat (and an H&K .40 on the belt) it's still completely legal and I do ride like that SEVERAL TIMES A WEEK now, just because I can and I believe that every little bit helps in the exposure of the citizens to open carry.

Granted, I'm not looking like a Hell's Angel (registered trade mark) on the bike, but the H&K is obvious if anyone happens to give a second glance.

I believe we should continue these Open Carry Saturdays and get ready for the next push next year.

Hey, it's America. Fishing, motorcycles and guns. Does it get any better than that!!

AD

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I think Rich meant that hundreds were attending a Tea Party rally that just happened to be going on at the same time/area as their OC fishing event.

I'm wondering why these two groups aren't more closely associated. You'd think Tea Partiers would be interested in OC. They seem to do it a lot in other States.

"Other States" being the operative term... Floridians are weak Constitutionalists, at best. Most are Institutionalists...

77zach

It's heartening to hear that your LEO encounter was a non-issue, especially when at first blush it's going to appear like a man unlawfully carrying a firearm. I can't imagine how much of a non-issue it would have been if OC had passed into law. I guess Jim Coats really is just a liar/idiot enemy of the people.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I've attended the last four or five Open Carry Saturday events in Fort Myers. It is a good time for all and educational for those who wish to learn more about it when they talk with us.

As I ride a motorcycle to and from the event, I also open carry on the bike with only one short event with the Sheriff's dept several months ago but once everyone got on the same page, I was allowed to ride away with no further action, still open carrying. The whole stop took maybe 10 minutes.

The Florida statute is very specific and although it may look out of place to see a guy on a bike with a fishing rod on the back seat (and an H&K .40 on the belt) it's still completely legal and I do ride like that SEVERAL TIMES A WEEK now, just because I can and I believe that every little bit helps in the exposure of the citizens to open carry.

Granted, I'm not looking like a Hell's Angel (registered trade mark) on the bike, but the H&K is obvious if anyone happens to give a second glance.

I believe we should continue these Open Carry Saturdays and get ready for the next push next year.

Hey, it's America. Fishing, motorcycles and guns. Does it get any better than that!!

AD

I've been thinking about picking up a bike again just for this reason. Ninja 250 is cheap, and saves a ton on gas, too. Stop laughing! :p

77zach

I'm wondering why these two groups aren't more closely associated. You'd think Tea Partiers would be interested in OC. They seem to do it a lot in other States.

"Other States" being the operative term... Floridians are weak Constitutionalists, at best. Most are Institutionalists...

The campaign for liberty, fl division is interested in OC now. They got a 10th amendment resolution, a ban on "no refusal checkpoints", and a red light camera ban introduced. I don't know what became of the bills, but I believe the red light camera one got through, only banning new red light cameras at the moment.

ADulay

Hey guys,

It's that time again. Open Carry Saturday is June 11th and you can hook up with some of your buddies you've met here and other forums and make the attempt at actually catching a fish!!

I'm always at the Fort Myers Open Carry event and our small group always has a good time, as long as Rich brings donuts and Teddy brings the coffee.

Me? I'm just there for support (and to eat a donut or two).

AD (on the motorcycle with the HK on my belt and fishing rod on the seat)

ADulay

Interesting set of events at today's Open Carry Saturday down in Ft Myers.

About half way through, two FMPD cars showed up. They took their good old time about getting out and walking by but pretty much ignored us.

Seems they were there for the "party in the park" type of get together and may have been expecting a bit of trouble there.

Us? The guys with the weapons? They probably just said we weren't a problem due to the obvious donuts and coffee sitting on the dock!

Once again, another nice Saturday fishing, drinking coffee and discussing guns.

AD

~*'Phoenix'*~

Fort Lauderdale was great, there were at least 8 of us OCing. Several people on the dock talked with us throughout the day, most thought it was cool you could carry while fishing and we just talked about what we were carrying and other guns we had. No negative responses from the whole mix of races, genders, and ages; one off-duty/undercover officer came over and talked to the folks at the info table, just had noticed lots of people with guns and just found out that fishing-carry was legal when they showed him the statute, and went along with no problems.
Most of us even caught stuff! (bass and mudfish)

esavinon51

I think it was a good outcome being the first event. as far as the DT he was like what 1,2,3,4,people with guns. lol it was funny. but it's good he got informed with the Florida Statues..

sprinklerguy28

I will be in Port St. Lucie from June 20-25. Would love to meet up with some FL OCers if anyone is interested.

Scott W.
President - Michigan Open Carry, Inc.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Probably won't get any takers. It's such a silly arrangement that most people don't do it. No reason you can't go solo though. Just make sure you've got your fishing license. If you don't have it, you aren't lawfully fishing, and thus the exception for OC goes away and you're a Bad Guy... Yeah, it's dumb as sh!t.

Last edited:

Rich7553