• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thinking of Giving U-M The Finger

The Expert

I attend U-M Dearborn as a full time student. If you run a search on my post history, some of my first activity here was in regards to carrying on campus. After getting all the facts straight (about the Universities being their own 'Constitutional Entities') I have refrained from carrying while on campus at all.

That being said, I've going through some serious introspection of late. See, we have a very active Muslim population at our school. I don't have anything against Muslim people per-se, but they are very much "out there" with their faith and I see posters up for all kinds of meetings all the time and stuff.

Some of them seem to hang in groups and give you dirty looks like..."What do you think your doing here on OUR campus?" type of stuff.

Anyway, I see all kinds of controveral stuff around campus all the time. Darwin fish eating christian fish bumper stickers, COEXIST bumper stickers, lost of bumper stickers. T-Shirts too.

So I gave though to wearing a controversial shirt of my own. Sometime like "My God Can Beat Up Your Muslim Fairy Tale" or "I'm The Christian Infidel Your Mommy Warned You About" or something like that.

Then I had second thoughts about the idea because I actually thought that doing so would SERIOUSLY make me a target for a mob of the more militant types who feel that free speech only goes one way. As in, they are allowed to express themselves how they wish...but YOU better not do so.

Didn't like the idea of being assaulted by a mini-mob, and being that I can't carry on campus, I gave up the idea.

THEN I realized that deep down inside I actually feel that there is a significant enough of a threat from that area that I would actually hang up my right to free speech in fear!

That, of course, indicated to me that my school campus is probably the one place that I NEED to carry a gun. It's really the only place where I feel directly threatened. I know that the greater risk is from the criminal element which can be found anywhere in SE Michigan, but that just seems to me to be this foggy "general" threat...but when I arrive at school every day, I feel very much as if I'm close to a very real, hidden threat.

I have strong feeling, each and every day that my school is at a level of risk many times that of any other in the nation. Think Ft. Hood & Virginia Tech combined. And I hope nobody goes off saying, "You're being paranoid, the chances of that happening are so low..."

I'm sure they said the same thing at Ft. Hood and VA Tech.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
I'm The Christian Infidel Your Mommy Warned You About

I like that.

You have a good instinct. I doubt the next terrorist attack will be an airplane, more like some populated area, silverdome, educational facility. History shows that it is always some youg idealistic person of college age, full of idealism that does the deed. We have been invaded slowly like an infection that needs to be cut out. These people are a threat to our society, and IMO it was planned by the highest members of thier government and religion from overseas, with the intention of causing us harm.

Last edited:

eastmeyers

I am truly sorry for the situation that you find yourself in. I also apologize on behalf of 'The People', for allowing our rights to be legislated away (even if I am not personally old enough, its the principle that I am 'one' of 'The People'). We must fight as a group, as AMERICAN's to get our RIGHTS back! We have to properly lobby our legislators to change these laws, which contradict our US and State Constitutions.

The fact that you are forced every time you go to school, unarmed, is ridicules. You go to school, to better educate your self, and yet this is the place you feel the most unsafe. This is the place where you should be most enabled to carry.

Every person needs to evaluate for themselves what their safety is worth, what level of a threat they feel, and what type of legal resistance they may face. Once you weight these extremely important factors you can judge for yourself, what to do... ... ...

Good luck to you sir, and GOD BLESS! BTW, I love your T-Shirt ideas! GROUP BUY!

ETA: DO NOT IGNORE YOUR FEARS!!! Please if you have the time to fit in one more book (I know it may be hard because your a student) go buy (not get from the library, because you are going to be loaning out this book A LOT) a book called The Gift Of Fear. Its by Gavin de Becker, I am going to warn you it has a slight liberal bias to it, but I assume you can ignore it seeing how you go to UofM. This is an extremely important and very true book, I suggest it to all of my friends who are police officers, and all of them who read it, afterwards thanked me. Its not good for only cops on the job, but everyone, it helps you recognize your own fears as a good thing, personally I see it as a warning from God, but whom ever is reading this you can take it as whatever you want. But just to get my point across real quick, say your walking down an ally, and all of a sudden you just feel weird, like hey I don't think I should walk down this part of the ally, so you decide to turn around, or go down a street instead, then the next day or a few days later, you herd about something happening to someone in that ally that day. Everyone has a story like that, everyone, not necessarily an ally, but in some way. Moral of the story, fallow your intuition, your fear, and keep your self awareness at 100%.
ETA-ETA: I believe this book may have been wrote for women who are being abused, or are being stalked, but it is for everyone, and is applied to everyday living. So don't read the first chapter, and think this isn't for me, I'm not a chick, and I've never been beaten, or stalked, just read it. But if you do know a women who has been in an abusive relationship, or has had a stalker, make them read this book, pay them if you have to.

Last edited:

Orion

Anytime one is compelled to suppress their inalienable rights as granted under the Constitution and the Bill of Rights for fear of angering others it takes us one more step down the road to a totalitarian society. A person should not be able to freely espouse hate, but when open discourse is put aside for the sake of "keeping the peace", then we have neither.
Do you have any friends/fellow students who have experienced the same sort of uneasiness when traversing the campus? If so, I would recommend all of you documenting the date/time and particulars of any encounters in a journal. If together you can show that there is a systemic or persistent issue that is causing distress, you can petition the university to address it. Failure to do so would leave them open to a myriad of repercussions that they would be loathe to avoid.

For full disclosure, I am not an attorney, have no knowledge of law in this or any other area, and nothing stated above can or should be taken as legal advice, only as my personal opinion.

B

Bikenut

Of all the things that have contributed to the fall of the United States (kinda like the fall of the Roman Empire of old) believing the concept that "offending" someone is the very worst crime that can possibly be committed ranks really close to #1... if it isn't actually #1... because it elevated "feelings" above "rights".

So ends today's rant.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I guess my question would be, who is it though, that you're really pissed at? U-M, Muslims, or who? I have a difficult time getting upset with Muslims right now.

Last October, when I went into Sparrow for heart problems, over half the doctors who treated me were Muslims. Both men and women. They treated me better in some ways, and with more respect for my opinions, than the "American" doctors did. One in particular went a long way to calm my fears about the impending operation.

Frankly, if I was attending U-M, I think 99.99% of the T-Shirts I'd wear there would be right of center types, pro-2nd amendment, Anti-Brady Bunch, and maybe even something with GWB's picture and the line "Miss me yet?" below it. I'd be protesting the far left weenies responsible for the way that place is run.

But that's just me. :)

TheQ

Miss GWB? Its kinda like he never left.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yes. I miss his daily urination on the US Constitution.

It should be noted: this isn't an endorsement for the new guy, the one who uses the same document for TP :(

Our Country longs for Constitutional Leadership *sighs*

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Yes. I miss his daily urination on the US Constitution.

It should be noted: this isn't an endorsement for the new guy, the one who uses the same document for TP :(

Compared to Obama, I'd prefer GWB. The big problem is not so much with today's politicians, it's with the electorate.

The guy who promises something for nothing is the one who gets the vote. Until he shows you that the something he's trying to give you is gonna cost you more than you realize.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Compared to Obama, I'd prefer GWB. The big problem is not so much with today's politicians, it's with the electorate.

The guy who promises something for nothing is the one who gets the vote. Until he shows you that the something he's trying to give you is gonna cost you more than you realize.

Just two sides of the same corporate/statist coin. President Bush did more to trash the constitution than anyone has in recent times; Obama is well on his way to do the same. Until people realize that both parties support the corporate influence in the government, we are doomed to continue to slide into "slavery".

TheQ

Just two sides of the same corporate/statist coin. President Bush did more to trash the constitution than anyone has in recent times; Obama is well on his way to do the same. Until people realize that both parties support the corporate influence in the government, we are doomed to continue to slide into "slavery".

^^^What he said^^^

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran

No... They don't. They elect communists because they DON'T want the constitution anymore. Remember, this is a society where We The People elect our legislators. Because we have legislators who hate freedom, I can only come to the conclusion that the ones who elected them hate freedom as well...perhaps they don't HATE freedom, but they're too stupid to know what freedom is so they vote just about anyone into public offices.

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran

when i write to my senators and reps about their continued support of the "patriot act" or "common sense" gun laws and they write back defending their position, i know they are all on the same side dem or republican :banghead:

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
In any event, in an effort to get somewhat back on topic. IF you wear a T-Shirt with GWB on it, with the words "Miss Me Yet" below the picture, you'll still piss off the left wing weenies on U-M campus. Even if YOU don't like GWB.