• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Improper signage at island lake silverdale

fire suppressor

I was at island lake today in silverdale and noticed they have a sign up "prohibiting firearms" its a nice lake/park I will go to a on a semi regular basis throughout the summer. I have never had a problem with open carry there before but haven't noticed the sign either. Not sure if its new or not but if they think I'm going to cover up they have another thing coming. Note picture is uploaded to the site off my phone hope it turns out ok

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1305421778649.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1305421778649.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 165

jt59

I was at island lake today in silverdale and noticed they have a sign up "prohibiting firearms" its a nice lake/park I will go to a on a semi regular basis throughout the summer. I have never had a problem with open carry there before but haven't noticed the sign either. Not sure if its new or not but if they think I'm going to cover up they have another thing coming. Note picture is uploaded to the site off my phone hope it turns out ok

I presume this is Kitsap county?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Wasn't this repealed a couple years ago just after the open carry picnic in Silverdale ? ie Kitsap County

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2009/jul/27/kitsap-county-commissioners-reluctantly-lift-gun/

PORT ORCHARD —

On Monday, Kitsap County commissioners reluctantly repealed a ban on openly carrying guns in parks.

The law, written in 1971, ran counter to state law that prohibits local governments from establishing such a ban.

Commissioners said they were changing the county code — which is effective now — only because they risked litigation by keeping the current law in place.

“I think it’s bad policy on the part of the state,” said county Commissioner Steve Bauer. He said if he took his grandchildren to a park and saw someone openly carrying a weapon, he would contact police and then get the children away from the park.

Bauer said there’s nothing in the law that prohibits people to carry concealed weapons if they have a permit. “This is not about them exercising their constitutional rights, ” he said.

The commissioners’ move follows a demonstration in May, when a local group affiliated with OpenCarry.org held a barbecue in Silverdale’s Waterfront Park, where members came armed.

No arrests were made at the demonstration, with Kitsap County Sheriff’s deputies saying they recognized the discrepancy between county and state rules.

Read more: http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2009/...issioners-reluctantly-lift-gun/#ixzz1MO7Lp0Pz

Last edited:

Trigger Dr

The legality of firearms in county parks was addressed when I sponsored the first Kitsap County OC meet in August 2008. I have several communications from both the Sheriff and prosecutors office attesting to this.
AJETPILOT worked on this as well as the admin bldg signs which were finally removed after 3 years. Copies can be made available in needed.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
$2.79 Fix

Disclaimer I am not advocating anyone to take matters short of speak into their own hands, this is just for humor.

Last edited:

amlevin

$2.79 Fix

The spray "coverup" might work but it can be removed. How about this approach:

aircraft-remover-ear322.gif

Some aerosol paint stripper/remover will remove the "obsolete" portion of the sign and can't be restored by merely removing the overspray. Just be neat an don't damage any of the remaining sign.

Maybe the County could buy a can or two and while the "Work Release" or "Chain Gang" inmates are mowing, weed-whacking", and picking up dog crap, one of their members could remove the obsolete part of these signs. Why not make someone convicted of "tagging" do this?

Last edited:

amlevin

Rather than risk getting caught defacing the sign, why don't you just call the Parks Department and ask them to do it, or volunteer to do it yourself?

"But honest officer, I'm just bringing the sign up to code and doing it at my expense. I know how short the County is on money".

I don't know about the current government in Kitsap County as I left there over 50 years ago (and went to school with one of their dumbest County Comissioners), but here in Snohomish County a call like that would be a waste of time.

Here the code has been revised and it's doubtful that any officer would even consider citing anyone for carrying. The county is so broke they can't even fix roads and the revenue projections are coming in lower every month. Doubt they will be fixing these signs on their own and their labor unions won't let anyone else do it either, especially volunteers.

A group tried that with a school that needed fixing up. Wouldn't let the volunteers do anything more than sweep and put down some bark. Even painting was considered "Union Work".