• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Englewood library

Ilikesa

I finally got down to the library and noticed the "no firearms, except on duty police officers" sign on all the doors. For those that do not know, this library complex also has a museum, city offices, and a municipal court. Are the signs legal? There was no security or metal detectors at the entrance, although no doubt there are some upstairs where the courts are located. Can they ban firearms from the building?

JamesB

They can ban open carry. They cannot ban concealed (without the metal detectors).

Several libraries do ban open, many try to ban all guns (emphasis on try).

M-Taliesin

Howdy Pard!
Yes! They can ban firearms as stipulated by CRS 29-11.7-104:

29-11.7-104. Regulation - carrying - posting.

A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

You might also check out the language of CRS 29-11.7-101, 103 and 105.

Those will give you some good background on the topic relative to open carry.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Ilikesa

So concealed should be okay, and proximity to the court (upstairs, I assume) makes no difference? I just hate to leave firearms in the car to be stolen, and walking around in what feels to me to be a naked state. I am really surprised that the legal departments let them make signs like that...it should read "no open carry" instead of "no carry, except on duty officers."

entartet17

So concealed should be okay, and proximity to the court (upstairs, I assume) makes no difference? I just hate to leave firearms in the car to be stolen, and walking around in what feels to me to be a naked state. I am really surprised that the legal departments let them make signs like that...it should read "no open carry" instead of "no carry, except on duty officers."

CC is fine unless they have metal detectors. I suspect they word it "no carry" simply to discourage carrying of any kind even though legally they can't restrict CC.

Gunslinger

They can put whatever they want on a sign, that doesn't mean it's lawful. If owned by the town, they can ban OC as they choose. They cannot ban CC unless included in the statutes as quoted above--and must have metal detectors present at every entrance.