• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Internet options in the boonies?

gravedigger

So I moved to Kentucky! I'm living in Franklin, or actually a bit outside of the city limits of Franklin, KY.

Right now I am using my AT&T Broadband AirCard to access the net, but it is painfully slow. There is no cable and no DSL here where I live, so what are my options?

I heard of HughesNet, Wild Blue, and a local computer store is talking about another AirCard from a different provider, saying it will be much faster than the AT&T unit.

Whatever I do, it seems they want to lock me into a contract BEFORE I get a chance to test out the service, and that sucks! I want to hook up a product, give it a good workout for 48 hours and THEN decide if i am going to make a commitment.

HughesNet says I have 30 days to decide, but if I choose to cancel the service, I'm out $200.00 plus other costs. That sucks too!

Back in Commiefornia, for all of the Hell it had, Cox cable Internet was blindingly fast and reliable. now I am out here in the sticks, and wondering what to do.

Jack House

There are no good options. Satellite will be ridiculously expensive, with poor performance. I know that Sprint carries a wireless card as well. IDK what it's like. But even if I did, it wouldn't do you no good. It really depends on your location. I also happen to live in a small ass town which has surprisingly good internet infrastructure. Hell, the internet is infinitely more reliable here than the damned electric! :banghead:

I think it might have something to do with us having like 50 banks per person. And while, yes, that is an exageration. My small town bank has 4 branches within a one mile radius. The population is like 7k. :confused: Then there's about twenty other banks, with multiple branches and like two or three more being built. :confused:

So yeah, you should really ask people around you. I assume you use AT&T for your cellphone? Maybe you can find someone nearby that has a smartphone with Sprint or Verizon and see what their internet is like. The aircards use the same network as the phones do.

P.S. you should be able to find 30 day guarantees for the aircards. If not from the providers, then from 3rd party retailers.

Last edited:

Blk97F150

I have a work issued Verizon aircard that is pretty fast. I almost prefer using it over our office hard wired connections (which sucks...). I don't know what coverage is like in your area though.

stickbow95

Do your research on the available speeds if you decide to go with satellite. I have a Verizon card that has been every bit as fast as the claimed speeds from the satellite providers.

There is no broadband land-line available to me either. I decided to go with mobile broadband as it is less expensive than satellite, as well as being well... mobile.

justherenow

I'm just to cheap to put real internet in my house, don't want a second phone line (i only have cell phone) and we use dish network since its half the cost if cable. What I did was root my Sprint phone, I have an android device and with android if you root it, you can use the phone as a WiFi hotspot (if the phone had that option, most do now days) for free, it just piggybacks off the internet on the phone. It's plenty fast for what I'm doing (surfing, email and a few downloads) and iv not paid anything extra for it since i started (sprint charges 30 a month for the feature, with root you pay nothing). If interested I can direct you to a place to get directions or you can Google android root

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.

zack991

I am use ATT's DLS service for 20 bucks a month. As long as you have a good phone line and buy their modem you should be good to go.

gravedigger

My next step is to set up my cell phone signal booster to see it I can get a better signal out of this existing AT&T AirCard.

They do not have DSL in this partof the country. They say it is too expensive to set up for the "few people" who would use the service. Ummm ... I thought the gu'mint reinvestment act was supposed to ignore things like actual costs when providing services like bus lines and commuter train lines. Since when does the potential income come into play for the gu'mint to spend money on ANYTHING?

j4l

It;s not the gov'ts place to provide you with internet/phone service or even utlilities like electric or gas or oil. Careful what you wish for, also. For the place to develop enough,population-wise- to get the services you seek, comes with the price of crowding,,traffic, crime, etc.
Enjoy the peace and quiet-unplug.
my .02

gravedigger

I would, but I can't take online courses without a decent connection. i was ready to sign up for Solid Professor, to learn SolidWorks. That requires a good, fast Internet connection. A T-1 line is an option, but at $350.00 per month, it seems a bit extreme.

Jack House

I'm just to cheap to put real internet in my house, don't want a second phone line (i only have cell phone) and we use dish network since its half the cost if cable. What I did was root my Sprint phone, I have an android device and with android if you root it, you can use the phone as a WiFi hotspot (if the phone had that option, most do now days) for free, it just piggybacks off the internet on the phone. It's plenty fast for what I'm doing (surfing, email and a few downloads) and iv not paid anything extra for it since i started (sprint charges 30 a month for the feature, with root you pay nothing). If interested I can direct you to a place to get directions or you can Google android root

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
I have an Evo and I am able to use my internet for free on the computer through the phone. And am able to do so without rooting it. Which is dangerous and voids your warranty/insurance.

Dish is DSL. You only need one phone connection for DSL, as it does not interfere with the phone nor vice versa.