• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Harrasment of a Law Student

eye95

Here is the story a law student related of harassment by police.

After leaving Bar Review on Thursday, March 31, 2011, I began the short walk to my nearby apartment on the Corner. About one hundred yards from home, I noticed a police car approaching me. As it neared, the squad car slowed down, blue lights flashing. One of the officers inside pointed the car’s spotlight on me. The UVA officers (both white) stopped their car, got out and confronted me. They demanded that I provide identification and I complied. When I asked the officers if there was a problem, one responded, “You fit the description of someone we’re looking for.” I asked what the description was and what had happened. One of the officers responded, “You don’t need to worry about that.” I told them that I was very close to my apartment and, while examining my Pennsylvania driver’s license, one of the officers replied, “This doesn’t say you live on Wertland Street.” It was clear at that point that the officers were toying with me for their own entertainment. When the officers discovered my UVA I.D., and informed them that I was a law student, they looked at one another and sarcastically said, “Oh, he’s a law student.” The fact that I informed them that I was in law school made the situation even more tense. It seemed as though my encounter was drawing to a close so, having just taken Criminal Procedure, I knew to ask the officer whether I was free to leave. When he responded, “We just need to make sure you’re not carrying any weapons . . . it’ll only take a second.” I was doubly surprised: the officers had all but expressed that I was not the person they were looking for (if such a person even existed), yet the two were about to subject me to a search. I knew that all the cases, regulations, and remedies that I learned in class would be of no avail. These two officers alone controlled my fate.

At that point, one of the officers spun me around, pushed me toward their car, and placed my hands on the rear of the vehicle. Imprinted on my mind was the police treatment of Oscar Grant Jr., Amadou Diallo, and Abner Louima, so naturally I did not resist. Standing there, I saw dozens of people staring at me as they returned home from last call. One of the officers searched me, removing all of my belongings from my pockets. The other officer then proceeded to rifle through my wallet (despite the implausibility that I could hide a weapon there). Whenever I attempted to turn to answer their questions, they forcibly turned me back around to face the car. When their questioning ended, I asked the officers for their names and badge numbers. One of them responded, “You don’t need to worry about that either.” After a few more questions, they told me I was free to go. They then informed me that they would be following me to my apartment “just to make sure [I got] home okay.” The two of them proceeded to closely tail me (blue lights still flashing) until I reached my apartment. As I opened my door and the squad car pulled away, I knew that there would be no remedy for the indignity that I suffered at the hands of two of the University of Virginia’s “finest.”

Badger Johnson

River, not when does the truth have anything to do with any of this?:lol:

Unfortunately, I can't parse your reply. :)

I'm a grad of UVa and this does not sound typical of the campus police. IMO, this is an honor offense and this liar should be dismissed from the Law School.

Good catch on the part of RR.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

I'm a grad of UVa and this does not sound typical of the campus police. IMO, this is an honor offense and this liar should be dismissed from the Law School.

My reply had an extra word in there, oopsie.

"River, not when does the truth have anything to do with any of this?:lol:"

Should have been written: "River, since when do fact have anything to do with any of this:rolleyes:."

He should be dismissed from Law School - if he is discovered to have lied.

eye95

I knew the story was false. I searched for it when I heard it on Fox News. There was actually a guest defending the jerk who lied. I wanted to see how some of the posters here would react if the fact that the story was an admitted total lie was not revealed. So I posted only the part that the liar wrote, and left out the report that he lied.

Oh well. We'll never know how some here might have reacted.

Anyway, it appears that he will be allowed to graduate. I hope the bar sees this as a reason to deny admission.

HandyHamlet

So... Let me get this straight.

The OP has a word for liars.

The Original Post is a lie posted to bait members.

Irony.

Moving on.

Last edited:

UtahRSO

Tsk, tsk, eye95. Bad on you. We have enough problems with trolls and untrue stories. Your posting was a deliberate attempt to deceive. What else is a lie? Whatever the motive was for your post, it wasn't a nice thing to do. Bad eye95. Please try to behave like a gentleman.

Last edited:

sharkey

I knew the story was false. I searched for it when I heard it on Fox News. There was actually a guest defending the jerk who lied. I wanted to see how some of the posters here would react if the fact that the story was an admitted total lie was not revealed. So I posted only the part that the liar wrote, and left out the report that he lied.

Oh well. We'll never know how some here might have reacted.

Anyway, it appears that he will be allowed to graduate. I hope the bar sees this as a reason to deny admission.

Between the "His name is Obama" post and this one you have completely lost my trust and respect. I thought you were a man of integrity and honesty.

You are a baiting troll. Add me to your ignore list and move on.

Get off your God-complex. We're not ants!

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

I too was a bit dismayed by the posting of a message seemingly designed to elicit LEO bashing.

I do remain a fan of Mr Eye's posts, however, for the most part.

riverrat10k

Gee, eye95

your post lasted a whole 2.5 hours before it was shown you were baiting the board.

Now, what was the purpose of doing this again? Ginning up comments for your database?

eye95: "Oh well. We'll never know how some here might have reacted."

What reaction were you looking for, and WHY?

Last edited:

Gunslinger

River, not when does the truth have anything to do with any of this?:lol:

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Personal attacks, stalking, and harassing other members are all violations of the forum rules. If you disagree with another poster's positions, then address their positions and if they cross the line, then report it to me. Gunslinger has been given a 7 day timeout, after which I expect him to respect the rules. Anyone talking about him badly while he is not here to defend himself will face the same punishment. Let's keep it civil! JOHN

Gunslinger

Here is the story a law student related of harassment by police.

He's a law student and doesn't think there are any "remedies?" Must have gotten into law school on the obama express route. Or maybe just paid someone to take his entrance exam like teddy kennedy, the hero of Chappaquidick, did.

While I think the word duplicity can apply to the OP for posting this--which I was not aware had been a lie, it makes me a little relieved that law students haven't devolved into complete fools, quotas notwithstanding.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

My reply had an extra word in there, oopsie.

Should have been written: "River, since when do fact have anything to do with any of this:rolleyes:."

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Personal attacks, stalking, and harassing other members are all violations of the forum rules. If you disagree with another poster's positions, then address their positions and if they cross the line, then report it to me. Gunslinger has been given a 7 day timeout, after which I expect him to respect the rules. Anyone talking about him badly while he is not here to defend himself will face the same punishment. Let's keep it civil! JOHN