• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Massachusetts Boy Charged With Bringing Toy Gun on Bus

rscottie

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/1...bringing-toy-gun-bus/?test=latestnews#content

"Police say a 9-year-old elementary school student from Palmer, Mass., will be summoned to juvenile court to face charges for bringing a toy handgun on the school bus, MyFoxBoston.com reports."

You just have to love the moron that said there was no indication he intended to hurt anyone but the rules are the rules.

What a messed up system our government continues to grow.

zack991

Sounds like a good law suit to me, the public school systems are such a joke with idiots pushing crap like this. How people cant understand why schools are so horrible at teaching kids other than indoctrinating them is beyond me.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

Sounds like a good law suit to me, the public school systems are such a joke with idiots pushing crap like this. How people cant understand why schools are so horrible at teaching kids other than indoctrinating them is beyond me.

Seriously, teaching is indoctrination.

Back to the OT, the boy is being charged with what? It is against the law to bring a toy gun to school?

zack991

Back to the OT, the boy is being charged with what? It is against the law to bring a toy gun to school?

Teaching could be considered "indoctrination" of sorts but what they are teaching kids is that even toy guns will make you a criminal even if you had no ill harm ot anyone. Why don’t these well-paid and protected Administrators use their brain for some rational thought for a change? I would hope they understand the seriousness of real school violence verses misunderstandings. Why do they not use some rational distinctions between real threats and stupid incidents like this one?

Instead of separating the real threats from accidents like this, the school administrators hide behind the zero tolerance policy and claim there is nothing they can do. It becomes real obvious that they are just too stupid or lazy when the public outcry comes after the school board asking them are you insane, and the school hides behind the policy. Are they kidding me, you going to destroy a child's education because our administrators are either too stupid or lazy to say well it is obvious that the child meant no harm to anyone and just made an accidental or stupid mistake? Yet the kids that show obvious problems the school ignores all together.

Not only are they indoctrinating kids guns are evil no matter toy or real, they also indoctrinating kids that your not allowed to defend yourself. That your supposed to take your beating and put your faith in the "system" that the person will be caught and punished. Yet there are case after case that students that do use force to defend themselves against bullies are punished much harder than the bullies who started the fight. The school also hides behind the same stupid policy that students who defend themselves are punished if not expelled for doing so.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
In the 70s it was nothing to bring a knife to school. These days it's automatic suspension, if not expulsion. Forget about bringing a shotgun as my grandfather did when he was a boy.

What's next? Clothes, because they can be used for a hanging? How about Hot Wheels, because it's a toy car kids aren't old enough to drive?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP What's next? Clothes, because they can be used for a hanging? How about Hot Wheels, because it's a toy car kids aren't old enough to drive?

Next should be teachers. Very dangerous ideas, some of those have.

Or, ban kids. Just the kids. Keep the teachers and their salaries. I'll go five-to-one the teachers unions won't object.

Felix

... It is against the law to bring a toy gun to school?

I'm sure it is considering I read a story of a kid being suspended for three days for having a (round tip) plastic butter knife in a bag containing supplies for a birthday party.

Have our teachers and school administrators lost all common sense?

I'm sure glad I no longer have kids in school. They'd be in trouble frequently and so would I for raising the BS flag.

sudden valley gunner

I don't believe this to be true.

in·doc·tri·nat·ed, in·doc·tri·nat·ing, in·doc·tri·nates
1. To instruct in a body of doctrine or principles.
2. To imbue with a partisan or ideological point of view: a generation of children who had been indoctrinated against the values of their parents.

teach/tēCH/
Verb: Show or explain to (someone) how to do something: "she taught him to read".

My kids do not go to school to be indoctrinated they go to learn math, reading, sciences. Unfortunately teachers and our education system has taken it upon themselves to go beyond teaching and that they must also indoctrinate.

END_THE_FED

Forgive my ignorance but how do you get summoned to a "court" for breaking a "policy"?
Did the school administration press legal charges against the boy?

~Whitney

My guess is that the school called the cops as part of their ridiculous zero-thought...I mean tolerance policy.

He may have been arrested for investigation of "bringing a 'weapon' to a school zone" or something like that.

"Weapon" might have a definition saying, in part: "anything that launches a projectile capable of causing injury". The department may be bound to a "zero-tolerance" policy for weapons at school, and are stretching this definition.

Hopefully the prosecutor and/or judge is a bit more capable of logical thought than the school and PD.

The parents should sue the school, if they claim to be bound by some "zero-tolerance" policy then, sue them for having such a stupid and destructive policy.

In the 70s it was nothing to bring a knife to school......

Even more recent than that.

I was bringing my "Swiss army knife" to school in the late eighties-early nineties. It was no big deal, I even used it in front of teachers.

There was still a rule against bringing weapons to school, but people were able to see the logical difference between a weapon and a tool.

It seemed to change almost overnight in the mid-late nineties.

Last edited: