• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Critique needed on letter

anmut

Any helpful criticism is appreciated. (EDIT: This letter will be sent out to democrats):

To Assemblyman XXXX;

I am writing you in regards to Constitutional Carry in Wisconsin. As an elected official and someone who has been sworn to protect and uphold the Constitution I expect your full support of no-tax, no-permit & no-training Constitutional Concealed Carry bill.

Additionally, I would like to remind you of a few items:

1) The U.S. Constitution clearly states that our rights of protection “Shall Not Be Infringed.” PERIOD.

2) You are elected to represent us by way of the U.S. Constitution, not your personal bias or interpretations.

3) Gun owners are very politically active and motivated. We can be your greatest asset or your biggest enemy.

We remember your campaign promises and we are watching you. And we will punish your reputation and job at the voting both if you sell-out our Constitutional Rights.

Sincerely,

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

I suggest leaving out the 'period' in sentence one, and the 'can be your biggest enemy' in the latter.

It's a bit harsh, given you're trying to garner his support.

HTH

paul@paul-fisher.com

Any helpful criticism is appreciated. (EDIT: This letter will be sent out to democrats):

To Assemblyman XXXX;

I am writing you in regards to Constitutional Carry in Wisconsin. As an elected official and someone who has been sworn to protect and uphold the Constitution I expect your full support of no-tax, no-permit & no-training Constitutional Concealed Carry bill.

1) The U.S. Constitution clearly states that our rights of protection “Shall Not Be Infringed.” PERIOD.

2) You are elected to represent us by way of the U.S. Constitution, not your personal bias or interpretations.

3) Gun owners are very politically active and motivated. We can be your greatest asset or your biggest enemy.

We remember your campaign promises and we are watching you. And we will punish your reputation and job at the voting both if you sell-out our Constitutional Rights.

Sincerely,

In case they are completely clueless what Constitutional Carry is, you might want to mention SB93 specifically.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
From a non-attorney:

Quoting the Wisconsin Constitution would be good. Article 1 of the Wisconsin Constitution is Titled "Declaration of Rights."

Section 25 of Article 1 is the "Right to keep and bear arms."

The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.

In contrast to Section 26, it is an unrestricted right, unlike Section 26 "Right to fish, hunt, trap, and take game."

"The people have the right to fish, hunt, trap, and take game SUBJECT ONLY TO REASONABLE RESTRICTIONS AS PRESCRIBED BY LAW."

Article I, §25 - ANNOT.
The state constitutional right to bear arms is fundamental, but it is not absolute. This section does not affect the reasonable regulation of guns. The standard of review for challenges to statutes allegedly in violation of this section is whether the statute is a reasonable exercise of police power. State v. Cole, 2003 WI 112, 264 Wis. 2d 520, 665 N.W.2d 328, 01-0350.

Article I, §25 - ANNOT.
The concealed weapons statute is a restriction on the manner in which firearms are possessed and used. It is constitutional under Art. I, s. 25. Only if the public benefit in the exercise of the police power is substantially outweighed by an individual's need to conceal a weapon in the exercise of the right to bear arms will an otherwise valid restriction on that right be unconstitutional. The right to keep and bear arms for security, as a general matter, must permit a person to possess, carry, and sometimes conceal arms to maintain the security of a private residence or privately operated business, and to safely move and store weapons within those premises. State v. Hamdan, 2003 WI 113, 264 Wis. 2d 433, 665 N.W.2d 785, 01-0056.

Article I, §25 - ANNOT.
A challenge on constitutional grounds of a prosecution for carrying a concealed weapon requires affirmative answers to the following before the defendant may raise the constitutional defense: 1) under the circumstances, did the defendant's interest in concealing the weapon to facilitate exercise of his or her right to keep and bear arms substantially outweigh the state's interest in enforcing the concealed weapons statute? and 2) did the defendant conceal his or her weapon because concealment was the only reasonable means under the circumstances to exercise his or her right to bear arms? State v. Hamdan, 2003 WI 113, 264 Wis. 2d 433, 665 N.W.2d 785, 01-0056.

Article I, §25 - ANNOT.
Under both Hamdan and Cole there are 2 places in which a citizen's desire to exercise the right to keep and bear arms for purposes of security is at its apex: in the citizen's home or in his or her privately-owned business. It logically and necessarily follows that the individual's interest in the right to bear arms for purposes of security will not, as a general matter, be particularly strong outside those two locations. An individual generally has no heightened interest in his or her right to bear arms for security while in a vehicle. State v. Fisher, 2006 WI 44, 290 Wis. 2d 121, 714 N.W.2d 495, 04-2989.

Article I, §25 - ANNOT.
The most natural reading of "keep arms" in the 2nd amendment is to have weapons. The natural meaning of "bear arms" is to "wear, bear, or carry . . . upon the person or in the clothing or in a pocket, for the purpose . . . of being armed and ready for offensive or defensive action in a case of conflict with another person." Putting all textual elements together, the 2nd amendment guarantees the individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation. However, like most rights, the right secured by the 2nd amendment is not unlimited. District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. ___, 171 L. Ed. 2d 637, 128 S. Ct. 2783, (2008).

Article I, §25 - ANNOT.
The 2nd amendment right to bear arms, is fully applicable to the states. The due process clause of the 14th amendment incorporates the 2nd amendment right recognized in Heller. However, incorporation does not imperil every law regulating firearms. McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. ___, 130 S. Ct. 3020, ___ L. Ed. 2d ___ (2010).

Source:

http://nxt.legis.state.wi.us/nxt/gateway.dll/Constitution%20Related/wiscon/1?f=templates$fn=document-frame.htm$3.0$q=%5Bfield%20folio-destination-name%3A'top'%5D$uq=$x=Advanced$up=1#LPHit1

MKEgal

My suggestions:
To Assemblyman XXXX;

I am writing you regarding Constitutional Carry in Wisconsin. As an elected official who has sworn to protect and uphold the Constitution, I expect your full support of the no-tax, no-permit & no-training Constitutional Concealed Carry bill (SB93).

SB93 restores rights which have previously been infringed or denied, and does it in the simplest, least expensive way possible. No other state which has Constitutional Carry has had problems with law-abiding citizens exercising their freedoms. And according to the CDC, no gun control law has ever reduced crime, suicide, or accidents.

1) The U.S. Constitution clearly states that our rights “Shall Not Be Infringed.”

2) The Wisconsin Constitution (Article 1, Section 25) is even more clear about our right to keep and bear arms, and about it being an individual personal right. This was added in 1998 by a landslide 79% popular vote.

3) You are elected to represent us, not your personal bias.

4) Gun owners are very politically active. We can be your greatest asset, or we will use the voting booth to remove you from office if you sell out our Constitutional Rights.

Sincerely,
Suitable for people of any political persuasion.

sharkey

To Assemblyman XXXX;

We remember your campaign promises and we are watching you. And we will punish your reputation and job at the voting booth if you sell-out our Constitutional Rights.

Sincerely,

Maybe a little confrontational, however, I like it.

apjonas

Are You Trying to Influence or Piss Off?

To Assemblyman XXXX;

Dear Assemblyman X,

I am a resident and consistent voter of xx district, which you represent. I write to ask for your support of SB93, which recognizes and supports the constitutional right of Wisconsin citizens to carry firearms. The constitutions of the United States of America and the State of Wisconsin both protect this right and SB93 is legislation that implements it on a practical level.

I believe that the majority of voters in the xx district support SB93 and are following its progress closely. I respectfully request that you support this bill through final passage. To do so would demostrate your responsiveness and concern for the people in your district and Wisconsin as a whole. Your support will be appreciated and long remembered by the many citizens concerned about personal safety. Thank you for your time. Please contact me if you desire additional information on this issue.

Sincerely,

I.M. Voter

Lecturing is bad form and counterproductive

Actually the Wisconsin Constitution. You assume motivation without cause.

Even mild threats are bad form and counterproductive.

Did he make a promise? If so, remind him with specificity - where, when, what. Again drop the threats and inflammatory language.

Sincerely,

Despite what you may think, members of the legislature are not all idiots. However they all are human beings. You can modify your letter depending upon the actual facts on the ground including the member's stance (for, against, on the fence) but everybody is entitled to courteous and respectful correspondence, otherwise it will immediately go into the circular file or to law enforcement (you sound almost stalkerish). You are not going to turn a firm opponent, don't need to turn a firm supporter. The people in the middle are more likely to respond to nice. Especially when compared to letters sent by the opposition.

anmut

Despite what you may think, members of the legislature are not all idiots. However they all are human beings. You can modify your letter depending upon the actual facts on the ground including the member's stance (for, against, on the fence) but everybody is entitled to courteous and respectful correspondence, otherwise it will immediately go into the circular file or to law enforcement (you sound almost stalkerish). You are not going to turn a firm opponent, don't need to turn a firm supporter. The people in the middle are more likely to respond to nice. Especially when compared to letters sent by the opposition.

No. I am done giving politicians the respect of civil tone. I am done with the game of "say this but do that." It's time to call them out on their inability to respect our founding documents.

Politicians are like children. If their being bad, you don't just keep asking them politely to stop. You tell them and if they don't listen you punish them.