• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Proper prior preperation...

Joe GlockStar

1232 this afternoon my wife and i are sitting around playing with out 6 month boy on the ground when i hear rapid cracking. by the time i looked out the balcony window from 3rd floor there was smoke pouring out of the first floor apt closest to the main entrance. then the ear piercing alarm and people screaming. i flew to the bedroom, strapped on the xdm and stuffed my bodyguard 38 in my pocket. grabbed pants for wife on way out the bedroom door. snatched my boy off the ground and got him into his carseat. flew out the apt door to the 3rd floor hallway. but not without snatching my prepacked bug out bag that EVERYONE makes fun of me for having including the wife. its a 5.11 rush backpack, the biggest one, the size 72, and my AR which is in a case attached to the bottom of bag. which is convieniently stored by the door in a closet. as i get us all downstairs thru the smoke filled 2nd and then first floor we finally make it out the door, and 50-60 ft away the car where theres even more SHTF stuff.
point of the story is, i felt very good being able to evacuate my entire family from start to finish grabbing any essentials for survival for 3 days from the time the alarm rang to the time we hit the grass from the 3rd floor was 4 minutes. (rush bag includes mostly 3 changes of clothes for each of us, food and water for all 3 of us, 800 rounds of 5.56 and 400 rounds of 9mm. plus various lights and leatherman type tools and rope, first aid kit blah blah blah. just felt good to be the first people out and the only ones really prepared and in such a quick fashion. albeit was just a small one apt fire it just shows how good it really is to be ready for such events, even at the cost of the entire family and friends saying "dude u carry a gun everywhere u go, u have bug out bags stashed everywhere (only 2 home and car have one) what are u waiting for the armageddon?" my answer is always yep, call me when it happens and ur up the wrong creek, ill have the paddles:lol::lol:
thought ide share, mayb my little small fries story will motivate people who arent prepared to get prepared.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Dude -

Good job getting the family out to safety. Even better to have prepped with a BOB/GOOD. The grabbing of pants for the wife on the way out may be TMI, but kudos for thinking of it.

Now that you and yours are out of the house, relax, calm down, start breathing again. It's time to debrief and critique yourself for the next time, because there is always room for improvement.

stay safe.

zack991

Congrats on getting the family out, and I am glad everyone was ok. What APT complex did this happen at in warren. MY family just moved out of that area just a few months ago.

Last edited:

Joe GlockStar

Congrats on getting the family out, and I am glad everyone was ok. What APT complex did this happen at in warren. MY family just moved out of that area just a few months ago.

i apologize, i no longer live in warren, i moved to minneapolis a year ago almost just forgot to update...i lived in jamestown village a few years but spent the other 20 years of my life living between cortland and howland in Fowler, i went to mathews high in vienna.

rmansu2

Glad to hear you got everyone out quickly and safely. Been thinking of having a BOB for a while. I have the supplies just not the bag. Haven't found the right one yet. How do you like the 5.11?