• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC In Car.

EMTLovell

Hello,
I am from Virginia, however I go to North Carolina a lot. I was curious to know, is it okay travel by car with in a holster, and if it was okay if the weapon was wedged between the center console and the driver seat (its extremely rare for me to this, but it does happen on occasion when making real short trips).

kcGlock19

Yep its perfectly ok but.... Make sure that it is visible from both the driver window and passenger side window incase you get stopped. Thats how I carry mine but I make a note to quickly slide it on top of the cup holders if i get stopped so I dont have to worry about a LEO having a bad day saying its concealed.

bob789000

Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States
Keep it in Plain view!!

Below is straight from the NC OC flyer. I wouldn't stuff it between the seats or anything like that. I'd keep it in plain view unless you want to take your chances or if you have your Concealed Carry Permit.

loaded handguns on the seat or dashboard, or anywhere in plain view, are legal in NC. Firearms inside consoles, under the seat, or covered by a coat or similar object are considered "concealed". Whether you weapon is loaded or unloaded makes no difference in NC.

aosailor

I just keep mine holstered on my hip. (knocking on wood) I've never had any issues when stopped by police carrying in my holster that way. when they come up to the window, the first thing out of my mouth is "I'm openly carrying a firearm" they usually ask where it is, i say on my hip. they look in to see it on my hip and then go from there. never have they even suggested that it might be considered concealed that way.

just my .02

nobama

Just dont hide it and let them know you are carrying and you should be ok. Ive told police and they never blinked an eye, said OK. or "I dont care about that" funny.

muccione

let them know you are carrying .

You DO NOT have to do this.... If its visible/open... than there is no reason to "give out" free info. I have a CHP and OC 99% of the time and I dont tell anyone Im carrying... Now "IF" I was CC and approached by a LEO I Must inform and present my CHP card and ID.... Not needed for OC...

nobama

Yea thats correct, here, only if you have a ccp AND you are cc ing do you have to let the officer know. However, I will tell them even if Im OCing, but thats up to you. I dont want them to freak out. I stand corrected on my last post.